Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

:sultan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg1a1ZECNO0"]Make Wood Stove Water Heater - YouTube

2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Hey Old Hippie 09,

Go on Google and search "Poudre Canyon Pictures" and "Poudre Park". You'll see what I'm talking about. Also, there is a bar up the canyon. The name of it is Mishawaka and they have good bands there all summer long. You can look that up too. Peace to Everyone

3. SuZQ

SuZQ Guest

I'm absolutely fascinated with all I have read here! It's no accident that I found this thread today. I'm a 5th generation CajunCommancheHippieMawMaw Cook in a wheelchair, yearning for a big family to cook for. My husband is a visually impaired Old Hippie Fart who can still do so much!!! (Just don't rush him.) We have limitations...But We're Not Dead, Damnit! A PART OF a viable Community is what we two old hippies need to be. I SO DEFINITELY want to stay plugged in to what is happening here! Peace and Love~Susan ♥

1 person likes this.
  4. stormountainman

Hi SuZQ, you and your hubby would be welcome. Someday we'll find that happy place where we can all be free, and free from poverty. Lately it seems America has become a society where the old are discarded out to die on the sidewalks. When I find the right place I'll post it on here. I know a guy who is diabetic and need shoulder surgery. He is on Social Security benefits. But, he was told he has to wait two years before his Medicare kicks in so he could have the surgery. He is now living in a Ford Bronco on the streets. I know another man who has been living at the Catholic Charities homeless shelter for 3 years. He is a good carpenter but hasn't been able to find enough work to get an apartment. In Colorado most landlords want you to have income that is 4 times the rent amount. So no one would rent to him. So I very much want to find a place where people like us can go and have a good life on what little income we have. Blessing to you.

5. Angel1026

Angel1026 Guest

Hi Everyone

I see no one has posted on here since August 2013. Is anyone on this site still interested in doing a commune for over age 50? If so, let me know!!! :sunny:

6. stormountainman

Hi Angel1026, there are several people interested in doing this. There are also two people in Fort Collins Colorado and one in Coos Bay Oregon wanting to get things off the ground. We are all in our 50s. Peace & Light to you

7. stormountainman

Come on you people now. If enough of us take part, it can happen. I've been looking at properties in Idaho lately.

8. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I like places within three miles of a coffee shop . I'm 60 . But always have thought 3
    miles was a sensibly comfortable stroll even in winter . I'm also free to move and play
    with a new scene and the west is best , which is not news to me . Can be there for Xmas .

9. stormountainman

Hi Tikoo,

I can relate to the coffee shop idea. I'm too old for hard parties. My idea of a good time is meeting up with my friends and having a gallon or two of good coffee. I've been spending winters (except the last one) in Arizona around Wickenburg. I spent most of the year near Fort Collins in Colorado, at Cache Le Poudre Canyon to be exact. I would love to gather a nice group of old Hippies on a small place and share in the gardening and the cooking. A lot of people my age are now on limited income and could use an afforadable place with good vibes. I am open to the idea of buying a place in Idaho, or Oregon, because they are cheaper than Colorado. Some places in Arizona don't have water and they usually haul it in and charge a bunch for it. The weather is nice and mild there so my guitar strings won't go out of tune so often. This week a good friend of mine is moving to Raton in New Mexico. I looked at prices there a found a bunch of affordable places. Peace & Light to you!

10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

oh , i've traveled around simple enough to look at places and people for what they are . it's
    the humblest little village that'll say to a man stay , live with us forever , do you need a woman ,
    play us another song ...

11. stormountainman

That's a powerful statement Tikoo, you are not going to find a village like that in America. I've been to other countries where they say "come and live with us forever." I haven't had that sort of offer here in the US of A. I've actually been told to leave town often here in the US of A. Now I'm trying to come up with cords that would fit this song! Peace and Light to you.

12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I am sure I have received several invitations ... such as in Montana and Oregon . anyway , since yesterday I've
    been recalling fondly a river valley in Idaho . the river is the Clearwater , flowing out of Montana's Bitterroots and
    on toward its getting swallowed by the enormous Snake . its valley canyon is the Nez Perce Rez . I liked the
    people there . Indians and hippies and cowboys and loggers - and everybody danced - and honked on cornets
    like elk .

Raton ? having stopped there occasionally , I think the folks are generally eccentric and too dusty blue .

13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm still checking in.

14. stormountainman

I drove through a canyon in Idaho one time. I was going east and ended up in Lolo Montana. In that canyon I saw at least 20,000 bald eagles. They were all over the place like on some sort of convention. There were 35 eagles on each boxelder and cottonwood tree. That was one great day that I'll never forget. Hi Scratcho, haven't heard from you in a while.

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

This is actually and argument for various ages. That way someone spry would always be about, and elders can pass along hippy values to kidlets....and 30-somethings.

Iirc, in Colorado, owning 35 acres plus outside of any covenants, gets you out from under a lot of regulation. Not all, but a lot. As long as you are working on a house, you can live in an rv, in most rural places.

16. stormountainman

Hi Drumminmama, I agree on the point where you can live in an RV until you finish the house. A buddy of mine ran into that permit issue down by Alamosa in Colorado. Where I live near Fort Collins things are getting very expensive. Land in southern Colorado is much cheaper. I know of an earthship up by Livermore. That place is half way between Laramie Wyoming and Fort Collins. The earthship had been abandoned or repoed. Where it is located would be a serious problem during the winter months. I have a buddy down in Durango in southern Colorado. I asked him to look around. In Weld county (Greeley area) you have a lot of agri-business and right wing mentality so the neighbors might not be as welcoming. I don't know too much about Conejos county; but, it might be a little forgotten jewel in southern Colorado, and not too far from Durrango!

17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Yes , that would be the place . The Clearwater River ...

18. Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri Member

I think this is a fascinating idea. If I didn't have a mortgage on a house that is hard to sell, I'd really consider doing this.

1 person likes this.
  19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Storm mountain man,
    One thing to think about is ambulance access. Out in eastern Adams and Arapahoe counties (Deer Trail, Agate, Byers) all ambulance calls are air ambulance into Aurora.
    It was to the point that if I heard a copter, I was out the door to follow the sound. I was the reporter.

So, look at hospitals and clinic access.
    Also, do you know about Silver Sage in Boulder? It's a elder cohousing community, connected to Wild Sage cohousing.
    Might check out how they do things. They are cooperative ownership, and I think like a condo association, but some things can carry over to different housing unit plans.
    Like tiny home towns.

20. stormountainman

Welcome Annwyn Bri.
    And Drumminmama thank you for the medical service point. When I lived in Poudre Canyon I did have an experience that included the flight for life helicopter. It is something that needs to be looked into. I do know that the local volunteer fire departments provide the basic emergency service and only call in the helicopter when someone needs to be medevaced right away. I would still perfer to live in the hills than in the inner city. I think a lot of people like me would rather live a full and rich life in the hills, rather than be unhappy in the concrete covered inner city. Also if there was a group of us living together, we could look out for each other. In May a friend of mine died from a torn aeorta, alone at home in Fort Collins. If I had been there, he would have lived through it. It's about recognizing the signs. He was in town and no one called for the ambulance. At the same time I know several guys who are twice his age and doing just fine in the hills.