Has anyone tried making 'gauges'?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Crysee, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Crysee

Crysee Member

I'm looking to make some 00 gauges, either plugs or tunnels out of wood. I already carve beads so I think it would be similar. I think it's gonna take some trial or error. I was wondering if anyone has had success doing this.

2. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

You would think it could be done. Just have to use a very hardwood and some really fine sanding.

3. Crysee

Crysee Member

That's pretty much what I already do with my beads. What might be difficult is the sizing and figuring out how to actually keep it from falling out. Like the outsides might need to be slightly bigger then the middle part?

4. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

a small wood lathe would make it super easy. And make it easier to mass produce

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes, they flare on the ends so they don't just pull through.

Look at several photos online to get a feel for how much waist you want on them.

And pix when you are done, please!

6. Crysee

Crysee Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm gonna try to start with plugs then maybe work my way up. I've seen some very cool, intricate ones on etsy that I would like to replicate.