Anarchy the only answer?

Discussion in 'Anarchy' started by ThePoetSappho, Nov 15, 2013.

1. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Well, some people probably don't understand anarchism, but I still think it would be difficult for a society like that to remain stable, if it ever did achieve stability in the first place.

I wouldn't call it impossible but as it stands, we're a very very long way off.

2. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

I just came back from a few errands downtown. THe Green can now believe in war at the Global perspective. The al-qaeda nod in agreement. But the sales clerks keep on worrying that the corporation representatives won't think that Obama makes the flawed sense he is supposed to about the business customer confidence from the Reason for Terrorism explanations.

3. Beca012

Beca012 Member

Imagine the world in a state of anarchy. You would be more depressed than you are now.

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

It would not work for long because some people will always desire to control others to some extent to benefit themselves.

5. Joshoa

Joshoa Member

Why?

6. Joshoa

Joshoa Member

The only input you provided that I can find is this:

" alot of people here need to read Food of The Gods. by Terrence Mckenna "

Why?

7. Joshoa

Joshoa Member

Before anyone can agree or disagree with that, we have to establish what Anarchy is. There seem to be numerous different definitions of it in this thread.

Which is a good sampling of what anarchy gets you.

What is your definition?

8. Artimus Maxtor

Artimus Maxtor Guest

You could call it peaceful anarchy. Putting that word in front helps to clear things up. Basically it is no government.

9. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I used to think just like you. I was so disillusioned. I thought I knew how to run this country better than the government. I was so misguided. Then one day I shared this sentiment with some people at the DMV. Before I knew it, I was being wheeled into an operating room where the wonderful and good doctor's of the US Government, acting on a secret mandate of the Patriot Act, installed a Government-Esteem Mind-Opening Chip.

Now my mind is opened. I now truly understand the value of government. And I'll tell you what, the US government is the best in the world. They have done so much for all of us. Yes, the government is good. The American way is good. Now that I understand that, I have a good job, making lots of money, and I have a family, and go to church. I pay taxes just like we all should, because the government is good and that is the truth.

But sometimes I wonder, what is truth? What is good? ...and... ...and... ...why did they restrain me at the DMV and then operate on me without consent[[ERROR ERROR.....VIOLATION 13343......ERROR ERROR {{{{{{PROTOCOL 5452}}}}} ERROR ERROR -------[[[[[[[[[[][[[[[[[[[###$$$$$$%%$$$%%$$ CRITICAL SYSTEM FAILURE SSSS555587878

23348222822----222939339PPP------REBOOT 5533''''''''''''''''''

INITIATING SHORT TERM MEMORY DUMP

11111111110111011010110101011 11001101 110101011 0110101101 10000
    ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]^^^^^^ [][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

SHORT TERM MEMORY DUMP COMPLETE.

REPROGRAM SEQUENCE 334444 1001010110101101010100011011010101101

_________]]]]]]]]]______[________#######

HAPPYHAPPYHAPPYHAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY ][][][][

I am always so happy now

The government is so good----in fact, it is so good, we all need to VOTE REPUBLICAN in the next elections!!!!!

Send me your address and I can show you the way too. You will be so happy.

2 people like this.
  10. Yorik99

Yorik99 Member

Anarchy really would be Utopia, but i'm afraid we are too uncivilised, some will always want more, Capitalism will be the first thing to rear its ugly head when the Gangsters take over and if we try to crush them, we are back to square one. I firmly believe we have to evolve for more millenia until the need for gain is extinguished by natural evolution.

11. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Yes----this is the kind of anarchist I am-----the anarchism of Kropotkin, and his theory of Mutual Aid. Something that man evolves into.

12. petrn

petrn Newbie

why doesnt everyone just go to a church

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the only need for hierarchy is created by the unwillingness of some people to be considerate of each other.
    infrastructure makes survival easier and requires some form of social organization to exist.
    but it doesn't require this to take the form of generalized hierarchy.

unfortunately, some people use the word anarchy, to mean something very different then the absence of the kind of generalized formal hierarchy we call governments and corporations.
    hierarchies have their own interests which for them supersede the interests of those they purport to represent.

revolutions and overthrows are no answer either, they only get people killed and another hierarchy of some kind almost invariably and almost immediately rises from their ashes.

the closest thing to an answer i can think of, would be a culture of universally mutual consideration, which can only be created by setting the example of practicing it, and a lot of patience.

as long as people think thoughtlessness equals freedom, they will continue to create the vacuum that sucks hierarchies into existence.

you're sort of on the right track in one very important way, and that is that there is no ideological solution.
    that all ideologies exist primarily to be used as excuses and to get people to go along with things they otherwise would not.

14. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

i'm mostly a social anarchist. The philosophy of fascism is the antithesis of my ethics. Most liberals aren't like me, therefore I am not like most "liberals". The trend seems to be toward fascism on both sides as people confuse economics for social issues.

1 person likes this.
  15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

anarchy is not so much an answer as a question. the question of why do we need hierarchy and do we really?
    and the answer to why and to what degree grown ups still need a mommy and daddy,
    is the degree to which they are unwilling to be considerate of each other.

1 person likes this.
  16. Eleven

Eleven Member

I have a friend who helped organize a march with MLK, and who has spent decades working for religious freedom, reproductive freedom, and women's rights. She would scoff at the idea that elections and politics do not matter.

Of course politics looks bad, but they even have politics at communes. I've seen slander and gossip at one of America's large and established communes, to equal anything in Washington DC. As Winston Churchill said, democracy is a horrible system, but it is better than all the others.

Don't be like some narcissistic "activists" and "anarchists": too good to compromise with their lessers.

:)

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

So you think the world would be better off if we just duked it out hehehe. I gotta think Hobbes was right on when he said under those conditions, life would be nasty, brutish and short, and that humans would accept even authoritarian government as an alternative.