Romani

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by ThePoetSappho, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm interested in learning Romani and I've done research online and found it to be very mysterious.... anyone here speak Romani at all?

2. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

Thats gonna be a hell of a difficult subject to study..Sappho..
    I know bit of Hindi,Urdu...but..it will not bring me any futher..the Roma have made their own mixed dialects wherever they are or stay..and there are lots of different groups..by the way???why do you wanna learn or speak Romani??

succes,you crazy woman you..who wants to learn Romani??well YOU..:2thumbsup:

have a look at this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_language

3. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Why that language?

4. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i'm a bit fascinated just because it is so obscure and mysterious. i'm very curious by nature...

5. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

I have not heard it spoken in Estonia when I have been over there. Most Gypsies in the big cities there speak Russian with each other and in the smaller places they speak Estonian. I have even heard an interesting hybrid of both languages. I have been told that most can understand Romani and will use it as a secret language so others will not understand them.
    Since it is not really a written language and divided into many dialects, you will not find many books to study. Also, I doubt if many Gypsies will want to help you learn it since the reason they still speak it is so outsiders will not understand them. You could, of course, be adopted by one of their tribes and no longer be an outsider to them but this can take a lot of time.

6. figuletz

figuletz Guest

i speak romanian languge.....

7. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

do you mean Romanian??or Romani??

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bStwaOGxy_Q"]Ederlezi - Goran Bregovic - YouTube

1 person likes this.