Do You Think Yoga makes you slim?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by Cavlin, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Cavlin

Cavlin Banned

What you think guys, Yoga help us to give the perfect body structure?

Virginia Ekblom likes this.
  2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

In India I had a yoga teacher who was quite fat, but incredibly flexible. However, generally people who practise yoga for some time are quite slim and have a body structure that some would classify as (near) perfect.

Hope this helped.

3. Spiritlite

Spiritlite Guest

I'm 5 foot four, and have been practicing pretty heavy duty yoga seriously for 3 years. Am I skinny and slim? no way. I also swim about 12 miles a month (swimmer, long distance ones like me tend to retain fat). I do however find that yoga has way more benefits than being slim. My muscles are WAY stronger, I'm a lot more flexible, my mood is not depressed or anxious like it used to be, I am definately more toned. I would also say it's all individual, we all have different bodies and body types. Recently over the past 2 months I've taken up Tabata as well as run/jog for 40 minutes once a week...I could do more but I really don't want to. Tabata as well as run/jog has helped me slim down. For me yoga isn't just about a slim body, in fact it's not that at all for me, yoga gives me a sense of love, accomplishment, feeling in balance....and also a way of tuning into my body. It also helps my chakras and my anxiety (for which I still do at times have to take medication for)
    Spiritlite.

4. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

[​IMG]

I always thought he evolved highness.

5. FelictyS

FelictyS Members

Yoga definitely tones and strengthens the body but if you're trying to lose weight I think its best to add more cardio into your routine. Maybe some running?

6. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

Yoga works far better if you're already slim. When you get heavier it is more difficult in many of the poses.

7. Greninja

Greninja Members

Beth A. Lewis, Associate Professor at the University of Minnesota School of Kinesiology in Minneapolis, Said:
    "Regular yoga practice can influence weight loss, but not in the "traditional" sense of how we link physical activity to weight loss. Typically, weight loss occurs when a person's calorie intake (i.e., food and drink consumed) is less than their caloric expenditure (i.e., energy is expended all day and more is expended during exercise).
    "Most individuals need to change both their energy intake and energy expenditure to lose weight. Many yoga practices burn fewer calories than traditional exercise (e.g., jogging, brisk walking); however, yoga can increase one's mindfulness and the way one relates to their body. So, individuals will become more aware of what they are eating and make better food choices.
    "Individuals may avoid foods that make them feel sluggish and lethargic (most processed foods). Instead,individuals will seek out foods that are healthier, which then may lead to weight loss. "Additionally, many individuals eat more when they are feeling stressed and yoga can help combat stress, which can influence one's energy intake."

etherea, Dancing_Sun and OldDude2 like this.
  8. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

In My Observations Only Slim People Can Do Yoga.......If Chubby Little Ole Moi Tried To Get Into Those

Positions I Would Certainly End Up In A Full Body Cast For 6 Months.......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's gotta be fat free yoga though right?

3 people like this.
  10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

^^^.......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

11. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Yoga does nothing for body shape.
    Diet and exercise is what makes your body shape ...... mostly exercise.
    If you aren't sweating, it isn't worthwhile.

12. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

40 minutes a week is completely and utterly pointless for exercise.
    Try 1-2 hours a day for weight loss and muscle toning.

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I really got to concentrate when reading thread titles, my first though was whats Star Wars got to do with weight loss?

Yoda makes you slim by wearing him like a backpack and doing cardio in swampland

1 person likes this.
  14. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Breathing exercises can assist in muscle control and along with physical exertion and dietary can greatly assist

15. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

kegel yoga is the new thing

16. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_gtJiJ3lf0
    = I See (therefore I will be)

1 person likes this.
  17. footballalways

footballalways Banned

I am gonna say NO but not eating lots of doughnuts and working on your abs might help

18. Scratched

Scratched Members

Doing elliptical twice daily, replacing two meals with Protein Shakes (they also contain carbs and fat too), and one well rounded but small meal a day. And plenty of water. My only cheat is a glass of Grape Juice in the evening.
    Light weight training beginning this weekend. Hoping to be in good shape by August. And yes I have a special reason :)

Makes for good motivation anyway.

19. footballalways

footballalways Banned

no idea how it could....but it sure does hurt if you are not elastic

20. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

These people saying no are doing the wrong yoga. It will strengthen muscles and burn calories so it will help with weight. But you cant just do the warrior pose. You have to push yourself and do the most advanced poses and routines you can do.
    As for
    And there has to be a middle ground between 40 minutes a week which is ridiculously low and an hour or two a day which is ridiculously long unless you are looking to be a body builder.

One set on legs = 1 minute
    Then a set of arms = 1 minute
    Then a set of crunches or something like that = 1 minute
    Take a 2 minute rest then repeat 2 more times.
    Total =less than 15 minutes
    20-30 minutes cardio depending on speed.
    45 minutes a day is plenty for fitness.
    Just remember that 80% of weight loss is diet.