BOOKS! does anyone else have a horrible habit of hoarding books?

Discussion in 'Books' started by littlebook, Oct 21, 2013.

1. air.

air. Members

well said .

2. PeatBog

PeatBog Member

I have many boxes of books, and most of them are in a storage unit. I sadly don't have the time to read them all.

3. P_Bateman

P_Bateman Members

The one thing I covet are my books. Still thinking about making a public library in front of the house and let the public have at it.

4. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

If you run out of shelf space you run the risk of the dreaded bookalanche:

[​IMG]

5. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Guilty as charged. I have about 100 or so displaced books on the floor of my bedroom, some on top of my computer desk, and some even under my bed because 5 bookshelves are full.

6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Yeah I like to hoard books. Some of them I never read. I actually hate the fact that I sold a lot of my textbooks from college. I really miss having those around. Lots of lost information from those books. All the money I made selling them wasn't worth it! :(

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Whenever I go book shopping I buy books I cant wait to read and I also buy bucket list books, books I intend to read one day but dont feel like reading in the immediate future. I bought War and Peace a decade ago and still havent gotten around to it (well, ive read the first page at least 5 times) but most of them I do eventually read.

Lately i've been going to a used bookstore almost every week and buying 3 or 4 books each time. I need more bookshelves

8. StellarCoon

Bought three more this month alone.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I used to have over 300 books, mostly metaphysical and ancient history... a few fiction series (aka Lord of the Rings type fantasy novels)

After losing them all in the house fire I never replaced them...

10. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

This book hoarding thing has almost gotten to the embarrassing point...or is already there. [​IMG]

I've discovered I can throw away relatively anything else not immediately useful with no problem...books (and rocks) are my true weaknesses. And I just can't do anything about it.

I have gone through a time where I was freer with "lending", often not getting a book back even though I would say I wanted it back when finished. Well, my dumbass wound up "lending" a whole series to a (SUPPOSEDLY) "good friend" - as in at least 20 JD Robb/Eve series novels...and I never saw them again. I STILL AND YET let that tear my nerves up, and no the woman and I no longer even speak. smh lol So, of course its things like that, that just encourages me never to get rid of any.

yet I have so dang many books, and I should be GLAD that group of Eve Dallas books has been enjoyed by others. I'd bet any amount of money this woman no longer has the books anyway...so there's that too [​IMG]

:D Yes, I am a somewhat proud book hoarder...its genetic, according to my brother.

11. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Nope. Never lend books. They never come home... except for very rare occasions.

I have too many books in boxes... not enough shelves... too many stairs to bring them up... so there they sit year after year. I shuffle thru them occasionally.

Since getting a tablet I read almost everything that way... nowadays.

I guess I am saving the books for that rainy day when the Internet disappears.

I hear Amazon pays for used books and the postage to send them in... is that true?

12. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

You have that right...NO lending!

and about Amazon...I've bought a number of books, exact particular books I wanted at excellent prices!!! I've No Idea about selling Amazon (or any place) used ones . lol that wouldn't fit into my "system" :D

13. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

the hoarding system of book keeping does not involve selling any.

I have a signed book and personal note written to me by Dean Koontz. That is one of my most prized possessions. seriously

14. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I am a book hoarder... I don't know why because it is really easy for me to let go of most other things. I have so many boxes of books. Most of the boxes I have in the storage spots are full of books. I helped my parents clean out their house to move recently too and we found so many more boxes of books! We went through a lot of those and donated stuff because we have no places to keep them anymore.

15. Bud D

Bud D Member

I didn't have tv most of my childhood so reading was normal. I can think offs few books I would like to have. Mostly science and technical education books. I don't know any good fiction. I find the real world much more interesting.

16. StellarCoon

One of the 3 books I bought this month was replacing a copy I had "lent" someone.

1 person likes this.
  17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've gone through a few rounds of letting book move on.
    Of the thousand or so books I released for my move, I'd say I miss only one or two, that I can't replace easily.
    I've probably replaced another 20 or so.
    I did let my journalism books go, with the exeception of Strunk and White, and a couple grammar books.
    I replaced them with anatomy and massage technique and decision making theory in medicine.

I'm ok with heavy library use. Books are to be read, not left on the shelf forever.

18. StellarCoon

I need a new bookshelf yesterday.

19. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

well i do have more books than i will ever read but i wouldnt say i am a hoarder, i mean i have more cd's and dvd's on my bookshelves than books. if anything i am a CD hoarder.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Books books. What's this obsession with books? People put them up at home like trophies on mantle piece and like, what do you need it for after you read it? I guess that's the good thing about reading Moby Dick. The second time around Ahab and the whale become good friends. ;)