Self employment thread.

Discussion in 'Free School' started by hillbillyhippy, Sep 16, 2013.

1. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

Okay so i know a lot of people need a job right now. Also some other people just merely want to drop out of the rat race that we call society, to have the freedom of being ones own boss. So simply put, if you know a way one can be self employed, share it. Tell us what it is, and the bare minimums you need to get started, etc etc.

One can sell used pallets. There are companies that buy used pallets for a certain amount. The guy I will be dealing with will be giving me 1.00-2.50 per pallet. I am also lucky in that he pays for damaged pallets, meaning if one is not to satisfaction to be used, he still pays me for it, just less, about .75- 1 dollar.

Needed

1 full sized pick up truck
    local stores to get pallets from (they all give them away for free around here)
    a person to buy them.
    Optional: 12-15 foot trailer to haul more pallets

remember it costs gas. So be sure to keep track of your mileage so that you can get all your money back in a tax return, they even sell little devices that can do this for you.

If you can keep a fast pace you can load a bunch of pallets at on place in no time. On the factory line it took us about 3-10 seconds to move a pallet depending on weight so a tip, park your truck close. Then its a 15 minute n trip for my buyer, and I will be getting paid.

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Make up some shit and then convince people that they need it.

johnshearing and Jo King like this.
  3. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

what about them 3d printers

4. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

and charge a premium so say feel "exclusive"

johnshearing likes this.
  5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Sell your services. What skills do you have?
    Personal chef ( option: pre made meal delivery. You would need to rent a commercial kitchen 2-3 days a week.)
    Landscaper (costs- tools, truck, durable outdoor clothing, advertising)
    Dog walker (might need a permit, insurance. Advertising, leads and collars, treats, toys, poop bags)
    After school activity provider (need location, possible background check. Materials for crafts and activities- variable)
    House painter (first jobs materials, ladder, brushes, drop cloths, tape, trays, coveralls, transportation)

Window washer, less than three floors (squeegees, poles, buckets, rags, cleaner)
    Seasonal widow decor painter ( also temporary signs. Paint, brushes, yardstick, paper for sketch of design.)

Tutor
    Scrap metal collecting

Flea market vendor (costs variable. Dumpster dive, collect free items from CL, buy cheap sell a bit higher. Transport and site costs.)

6. Destro_the_punk

Destro_the_punk Member

Recycling metals is another way to make cash from scrap. Mike the scrapper on you tube has some great guides.

With the pallets and simple wood working tools you could build outdoor furniture, art pieces , or garden tools. The main thing is get serious about what you're doing and make sure everyone know what services you're offering.

7. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

giggalo

johnshearing likes this.
  8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

People make some real money through re-selling (such as items on ebay, tickets on stubhub, etc). It takes some capital to first begin, but the investment usually pays off as long as you do your homework.

I personally work as a free-lance editor/grant writer. It is a tough market to get into, but once you're in the work is plentiful. Anyone with a college education can potentially make it in the free-lance industry as long as they have some sort of marketable skill.

9. Logan 5

Gather all the business you can muster and keep your overhead as low as possible.

10. drumminmama

Destro!!!!!! Good to see you!

11. sujaba25

sujaba25 Guest

i also want to be self employed but not getting right one. i need a job but what i have to do ? But becoming self employed is not easy and needs a lot of money to invest.

12. Jalesto

Jalesto Jalpnoenma

No, it actually doesn't take a lot of money to get started. All over the world it actually takes a lack of money to drive people into being entrepreneurs. It's just a matter of marketing. And these days that marketing is virtually free.

What you need to do first is determine the actual work you can do. Don't base this on job titles you have held. For the past 20 years a job title has been a fluid label. As companies do their best to shave a nickel from every employee's hide it causes them to cross-train the entire crew.

For example, a colleague used to be a manager of a small chain of seafood stores. If that was all he told anyone, that's the only kind of job he might find going forward. But that's not the whole story. He also produced all the signs for sales. He transferred fresh seafood between stores when sales slowed at ay given one. It made it seem more like the sores got regular deliveries of fresh seafood (it was mostly frozen).

He also had to keep the scales going and the company sent him to New Jersey to learn to calibrate and repair digital scales they used. Then they sent him to another school to learn to program the registers. In less than a year he was ready to be a district manager and start making real money. But the boss had other ideas and promoted a family member.

Just applying as a manager limits him. My advice was to detail the tasks he performed as manager to better the business. THAT is what employers and companies want from people.

So list your REAL skills and how you market yourself may take on a new perspective. I deal with agencies most of the time because I'm personally a very bad manager. It's also important to be able to admit that.
    Jal

13. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

4000 bucks from my divorce bought me a store, no kidding. The guy who had it had little stock, about 4 grand in. He was going to still own the land and buildings. He had a camp site in back with 16 lots with a sweet little creek and two apartments and three mobile home pads on the side. If I ran all that for him he would share the makings with me and I had to pay him rent for the store building. A highway store. I had it for 4 and a half years and loved every minute of it but had never owned a business before that. Yes I was nervous of failure for the first couple years! It was a wild decision I made but turned out to be a good one.
    I made my bucks, had 14 grand stock in six months by spending nothing on my self and my rent was partly paid by the other stuff I ran for him. It was good that the other stuff was there in this case because the store had little interest to the locals in the small town behind it until they saw me put hoards of stuff in it. He only carried smokes, soup and toilet paper kind of stuff, the bare necessities.
    So not necessarily a huge cost to start something, just keep your eyes open. You don't need to find the same with all those extras if it's in a better area and you do well but seriously the contents purchase and rental of the building was all I needed to start and to come across a guy who didn't do well at it and wanted to let someone else (me) take a shot at it.
    Peeps from that little town who became friends with me still tell me to come back and buy it every time it comes up for sale but I had my fill and moved on. That store just doesn't hold it's own and keep people there running it long. You need to work it but it can do ok.

14. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

After I had my store and went to work for the man on machines, had never done that before either but I was spotted as being good at it and was pushed into it, yup, loved it,,,, I was horny for education and would take mini courses that companies would send their head peeps, supervisors and union reps to at the local collage.
    In one of them classes I made a smart remark, just to be funny when we were asked a question and low and behold it was the answer.
    Someone in front of my row of tables turned and asked me what I do, I said "play with machines and drive fork lifts why?" I was very nice about it tho.
    Later when we went for coffee a guy in a suit who sat beside him in his row and heard my answer said "Next time sell yourself. He was interested in your quick smarts and might have had something for you which might be why he took the time to ask." Hmmmm, my store time didn't teach me everything...
    We had a most interesting conversation during lunch and next coffee and he taught me a lot that day. He was from out of town so I have never seen or heard from him again, nice guy to take the time for me.

And speaking of smart remarks,,,
    A professor in a medical school asked his students one day just to lighten the spirit of his peeps and shift the train of thought,
    What do you think your asshole is doing while you are masturbating? One young lady spoke up and said he is probably golfing,,,

johnshearing likes this.
  15. JaymeS84

JaymeS84 Guest

My boyfriend and I are both very interested in starting some type of business that we can make a modest living off of. We are thinking about doing some kinds of stupid tshirts or something. We figure the more vulgar the better lol. Any idea where you can start something like this? Aren't there sites that let you do it?

16. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I own a company myself, not so much self employed, I am employed by my company.

LLCs are very easy to form, and require much less formality than corporations. You can file an IRS form 2553(?) to have your LLC taxed as an S-Corp.

it's also easy to convert business entities such as convert an LLC into an S-Corporation.

17. drumminmama

Agreed^^
    I dedicate two days a week for now to my own business, while still employed by another (and working with a start up. I like to be busy).
    My time is not my own. It belongs to MountainWave BodyWorks. After the ft employer, of course. But the day will come when I get to mould the day.

18. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

The first thing u must do is decide on a business structure. Then u will need to produce a document called the articles of organization (for LLCs) or articles of incorporation (for corps).

You then must file the articles with the Secretary of State in the state which you wish to organize or incorporate in. (And pay the filing fee)

This is not the end of the road, this is just the very first part of the come up but you will learn as u go.

I do not recommend going to college to study business as they actually will not teach I the things you need to know and will steer you I a different direction,,,they just want to make you another cog in the system of giant corporations...not start anything of your own. Plus the money it will cost to get an MBA degree...u might as well use that as ur comeup money and you'd be able to come up real quick instead of still probably only being able to get a job as a manager at macdonalds making $10/hr and struggling to be able to eat and pay off that student load.

19. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'm thinking of starting a "I want to break free" house cleaning service exclusively aimed at homosexual and homosexual couples.Myself or the cleaners I employ will dress like Freddie Mercury from the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Zo4AVL7AE"]Queen - I Want To Break Free. ( official video ) - YouTube

20. Logan 5

I thought of having strippers working for me, doing paid strip teases for birthdays, parties, and the like.
    And have them dress as police, firefighters, & LDS missionaries....