How would you answer: "I found Judaism not spiritual"?

Discussion in 'Judaism' started by LAGoff, Sep 15, 2013.

1. LAGoff

LAGoff Member

I was told by a Jew(a 60 yr. old child of the 60's) that he finds Judaism not 'spiritual'.
    I am sure this is very commonly heard and held among Jews.
    I want to know how you would answer him.

2. FranklinS

FranklinS Member

What does "spiritual" mean?

BirdFlu likes this.
  3. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Wow... spiritual may be from the judgment, from the lying bitch after you return from a foreign war in a wheel chair. That's not spiritual; but the judgment: God, the so called father, had no son is neither. Let us rejoice God has been found to exist with no paternal deception.:sunny:

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I would say that he is entitled to his opinion and that it is just that, his opinion.

5. LAGoff

LAGoff Member

I think it means- to him and his- that Rock and Roll, psychedelic drugs, Watts, Ram Dass, Yoga, Raymond Moody and other groovyosities have so psychedelicised our minds that the OT seems 'square' by comparison.

6. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

Ha!

Ram Dass, Yoga, Watts, etc speak to the same things as the OT, they just use a language and a symbol system nearer to what our modern minds can easily comprehend.

To someone who cannot read behind the symbols to the perennial understanding/elementary idea underneath, it is easy to see how the Old Testament would appear to be EXTREMELY square.

BirdFlu likes this.
  7. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

What if God were convincingly proven to have to exist outside the universe, and have no influential part in the worldly events for Good? For all time , and for those at Love for only the time not understood in Love. For the influence could plausibly make the responsibility fall on Mankind.

8. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

According to E. Fackenheim, my once professor of philosophy of Hegel, if Jesus Christ were only a man then he would be no better than Socrates Do you guys believe me?:afro:

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Who is better when they are both merely human would remain subjective in the end, just like when people are determining who is good or better with other people in general.

10. LAGoff

LAGoff Member

What's the connection between my question and your three statements in your three posts?

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I would ask him if he ever heard of Kabalah? I find some aspects of Judaism to be way too spiritual, if nothing else.

BirdFlu likes this.
  12. odonII

odonII O

13. monoman911

monoman911 Banned

Hardly a sensible comment so far.

Kind of like your dealing with children?