Genetically Modified Food

Discussion in 'The Future' started by FinShaggy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Monsanto handles a bulk of the GMO production...and also runs many of its tests...fishy. No outside, independent verficiation. USDA just takes Monsantos word for it, often based on tests that did not last long (sometimes just weeks).

Many of the higher ups at Monsanto have actually bounced between government and monsanto...very fishy. Pass laws that benefit monsanto and bounce back to monsanto. Lots of mega corps do it.

But the simple fact is, if GMOs are sooo good for you, go ahead and put your money where your mouth is and label them..otherwise, the silence speaks volumes.

Otherwise, almost no one has any idea how badly GMO seeds will impact bio diversity and the eco sytem in the long term (these are uncharted waters) but intial results do not look good.

Also, plenty of tests have been done on animals which show very nasty side effects of consuming GMOs. Just...research it..

But when left to their own devices, with both GMO and non GMO food lying on the floor, even a rat WON'T touch the shit if they have organic food also on the floor, they will 100% eat the later. If not even a rat touches it, NO WAY I will (knowingly) consume it!

If you see GMOs as a positive thing, you have not done your research...

Plus you need to ask: How did those people around the world, such as in Africa, get to the point where they are starving? Not by their own devices..because the western imperalistic world for 100s and even 1000s of years has basically pillaged everything (especially within Africa). We made them poor. Plus, via the World bank and other bogus international bodies, we impose all sorts of insane guidelines and regulations when offering these countries loans they will never (realistically) pay back. (Insane guidelines being imposed like uh, forcing Mongolia away from a mainly farming backed economy to one that was, thanks to World bank, largely industrial = failure massively!)...Any way, we created the problem, these people starve because we pillage their land, and are now offering a SHIT solution in the form of some GMO garbage. BS it helps people, and you expect me to just blindly cheerlead Monsanto and other bogus mega corps who can't even label a god damn onion correctly and even flat out refuses to. Even going as far as to sue the state of Vermont for trying to bring into existence (GMO) labeling laws! Those actions speak volumes, such as Monsanto forcing their shit on uninformed consumers (they don't want us informed it seems). Any way, never mind GMOs, we could also help by..you know, not raping and pillaging the god damn land to begin with and leaving the locals with next to nothing then swooping in with some bogus, untested mess that will negatively impact the people.

Fuck Monsanto and fuck GMOs.

2. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

I honestly want to work and make my own GMOs after reading about him.

3. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Agreed, labels are fine to ask for. But to reject them all together???? Especially when they can save the world.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

He's still really only talking about selective breeding.

I wonder what his thoughts would be on instances like I mentioned above with the bt toxin, inserting bacteria into the genetic material of a plant to act as a biological pesticide or herbicide and then introducing that bacteria into the world's food supply.

5. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Dude WATCH THE VIDEO, it explains that you are wrong. At least about Norman.

And if GMOs are pure evil now, it's only because we convinced all the good people to reject them.

6. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Instead of trying to figure out how to feed 10 billion people why don't we try to figure out how to make less people? Who the fuck wants to live in a word with that kind of population? Imagine how many people that is per square mile or per square foot?

and I think Meliai and Carlfloydfan were spot on, on this topic.

7. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

BTW, even though Norman got his peace prize in the 70s, he was alive till 2000 or later.

8. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

There is plenty of space left.

All we need to do is figure out how to feed and decentralize the population all at once. Look along the highway on an interstate road trip. There is PLENTY of space to be developed, and that's just in America. And same with most of the world.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

decentralize??? oh god, no....

a little off topic, but it seems to me that you are referring to creating more suburban sprawl

which is a horrible idea, for both spiritual and environmental reasons.

10. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

No, I am suggested less ranching (and keeping useless land) and more farming.

There are hundreds if not thousands of acres in every county of America that people just aren't using. We need more towns, more counties and more variation in law. Counties should be like states are now, and states should each have the power over themselves that the fed has.

11. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Seriously.

There a lot of cool places that are being developed over and making our landscapes look really shitty. There's concert venue thats been around for over 30 yrs and it's already scheduled to be shut down and developed over. I'll be bummed when it's closed cuz I've had a lot of good times there and could have more if it stayed open.

Also the world famous Santa Anita race track is right down the street from me and it's also in the developers cross hairs. Who the fuck wants to live in world where we're packed together like sardines?

12. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

That's exactly my point, we don't need to be packed together like Sardines.

Ex: Look at the state of Texas VS ANY OTHER STATE.

Texas has THREE main cities instead of one (I now live in Colorado, and there has been congestion for years because EVERYTHING is in one town)... Dallas: Modern Business and Advertising Hub, Ft Worth: Old School Business and Stock shows, Arlington: Entertainment, Sports, etc.

Then Texas has 4 other hubs to decentralize everything: Denton- College, Austin- College and Politics, Houston/Galveston- Ocean Import/Export, Collin County- Money

Then College Station, a whole town to promote agricultural studies.

Then look at the separation of counties. Texas is made up of HUNDREDS of tiny little squares. Which creates not only jobs, but variation in perspective on "justice" in each area.

Decentralization is not a bad thing.

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Exactly! They are not using genetically modified food to fight world hunger... yes, that is what they tell you to get you to accept this but no, there is no evidence of that.

Anyways, the OP of this thread is just terrible... I don't even want to bother tearing it up. OP- do some more research on GMO's though... they are extremely unhealthy and we don't even know all the harm they may do...to me that is scary...
    anyways, upon reading further I just wanna say that I agree w the things that meli and carlfloydfan said regarding this topic..

14. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I didn't read this whole thread, so I apologize if it's been said, but GM food has NOTHING to do with feeding the hungry. It's all about that almighty dollar, at the expense of our health and the well being of the land.

15. windy

windy Member

from an article in Huffington Post...rats fed genetically modified corn all died of organ failure.

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

actually GMO has everything to do with growing food on MARS.. :)

17. odonII

odonII O

18. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Maybe not any more. But when all this hate started, that is EXACTLY what was happening. And people like you made people frown on it, and now everyone thinks it's evil.

And there IS evidence. He got a nobel prize for saving the lives of over ONE BILLION PEOPLE.

19. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Again, maybe that is true now. But only because of people like you.

20. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned