Deity

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Samhain, May 22, 2004.

?

how do you relate to deity?

1. Its much more powerful than me, I worship deity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I work hand in hand with it in an equal way

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. I summon Deity to do my bidding

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  4. It would depend witch one, my relationship differs with different deities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. none of the above please see thread for more info

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If you have the concept of deity in your religious or spiritual beliefs how do you relate to it?
    Do you believe that deity is much more powerful than any life form and needs to be worshiped.
    Do you work hand in hand with deity on an equal footing, like they are a friend or a family member.
    Or do you control deity, summon it and expect it to do your bidding?

S

2. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

As a Celtic Pagan I believe that the Gods are our First Ancestors.

3. rain_in_summer

rain_in_summer Member

For me God is more IT than HE or SHE.
    Not a person, an energy, a spirit. It's life itself.
    So I "worship" it just by feeling/saying "It's so wonderful to be alive.", "I love being alive.", "Isn't nature beautiful?", by loving (and caring for) nature, by dancing in the rain... I couldn't pray to God as a person I guess. It feels fake to do that somehow. If I pray I pray to everything and everyone. It's difficult to explain. An example: If I'm in a difficult situation, I'm likely to say "Gimme strength to get through that.", but I don't mean I want God in heaven to give it to me "directly", if you know what I mean, as I don't believe God has the power to actually DO something, it only IS.

4. Samhain

ok so does that mean you feel like you work with them hand in hand then, or that they're more powerful than us?

how do you see them?

s

5. Samhain

i'm sure there are a lot of us that would wish to have your kind of insights, keep hold of them and treasure them

blessings

s

6. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I think that God is in Nature....we're totally neglecting it and the world is falling into complete chaos, and we're asking "where's God??" You clear cut him and polluted him with toxic waste! Why would he stand up for you now! The only way to save ourselves is to save the environment, because it's all we have.

7. Samhain

i agree with you, the earth at the moment is a victim to humanity.
    when someones a victim it ever becomes damaged or fights back, and we're in trouble ethier way

s

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the unknowable has its existence and i have mine. i feel more at peace with it and with myself when i don't impose names on it or try to immagine anything specific about it. only that neither of us are infallable, wish to cause harm, or earn resentment. obviously there's a lot more of infinity then there is of me.

9. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I don't believe in a diety in the conventional sense. Or rather I don't know whether such an entity exists and can't say I'm particually fussed eithier way.

The Goddess element of wiccan and other 'pagan' religions really appeals to me (I'm of feminist persuation) and can't deny there is something powerful keeping the world ticking over. It's just that I've never felt a deep conviction that there is/are diety/ies.

Apparently I'm a spiritual person, even so I'm most definetly an agnostic. Which probably doesn't make any sense but there you go.

TTFN

Sage

10. Samhain

hi sage
    a lot of people just believe in the energies out there that seem powerful but not describable, and when pagans say they believe in deity not all of them believe that the gods are actually out there as beings, so what you say makes perfect sense, and isn't it all part of the mystery that we know soemthing is there but are not sure what?

i completely agree with you about the goddess she has been neglected for far too long and even if one doesn't believe shes out there as such, it is still a powerful exercise to meditate on her in all her different aspects.

are you familar with the author 'starhawk' i think she would really speak to you.

blessings
    s

11. Jatom

Jatom Member

I believe in a supreme personal omnipotent being who is the creator of all that exist, and who alone is worthy of my worship.

12. Samhain

And does this being have a name in your eyes?

s

13. Jatom

Jatom Member

I generally call Him God.

14. rain_in_summer

rain_in_summer Member

Does that mean he's male? Isn't gender a human thing?

15. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

does God get mad if you don't worship him?

16. Samhain

whats your thoughts on that question?

s

17. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Does the sun stink or become fragrant when its rays are incident on a stinking garbage or a fragrant rose ? It does its duty nonchalantly. Let us take the daily sunny example and do our duty without bothering to account for loss or gain.

With love ....... kumar.

18. Samhain

I don't understand what you are saying, is it that you think we should worship 'god' in complete trust without questioning or have i read you completely wrong??

S

19. Spiritforces

Spiritforces Member

I m trying to realize how and why I am part of it, as we do all

20. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Dear Samhain,

We are trying to understand that nothing matters for vastness....any thing that is vast.
    It does not so appear that God gets mad if we do not worship Him(It). Considering that God exists, it is the beauty,mercy and benevolence that we talk about Him. Despite our endless wrong-doings everyday nothing happens to us. It appears that we are forgiven.

But look at us, poor tiny things in the vastness! For every small thing we pick up a quarrel, we fight and get seperated from friends, relatives,siblings and even from our own parents.We can not easily forgive. Such is our ignorance due to ego. We all individually think so great of ourselves. But alas! we are all jumping and roaring soldiers ignorant of being without the swords and the shields.

If there is any God it does not matter whether we worship Him(It) or not.Let us only understand that whether we worship or not unfailingly all the natural cycles keep on and we survive.If we consider that God does all these then we should understand that God does not wait for our appreciation or humiliation. Simply the duties are done without any accounting.

There are people who very religiously worship God but practise all wrong things. Again look at those people who never worship God that way but they devote their lives for the welfare of mankind. Being human beings they simply discharge duties of humanity.

They strongly believe that human beings are not for religions but religions are for human beings. They respect all religions but believe only in the religion of humanity.

With love..............Kumar.