Psychedelics and Eastern philosophy

Discussion in 'The Psychedelic Experience' started by tenretni, Aug 15, 2013.

1. tenretni

tenretni Guest

I'm interested in the connection between the psychedelic experience and Eastern philosophy. Psychedelics seem to bring Western minded people to "Eastern" conclusions about reality and self as well as enhance creativity; on the other hand, Eastern traditions and sages speak at times of psychedelic-like experiences encountered on the spiritual path, via meditation or even spontaneously in the case of unique individuals.

From a mainstream point of view – skeptic of mysticism, hostile to drugs and attached to the idea of a coherent, free and rational self - this connection is not mysterious: different ways to similar delusions. But for someone who happens to revere Eastern wisdom, it would appear that these might be different ways to the same Truth.

This brings up a few questions:

In Buddhism, in the practice of Anapanasati, out of the 16 steps to enlightenment, steps 5 and 6 are described as experiencing "rapture" and then "bliss", after developing deep levels of concentration. Are there any other religious traditions that seem to include "psychedelic" experiences developed through practice?

Spontaneous modes of expanded consciousness experienced by unique individuals seem universal; Jean Dark and Sir William Blake come to mind (both, consequently, spiritual and creative figures). What other examples from Western history seem to fit this phenomenon?

And if these experiences are indeed, in the right setting, conducive to spirituality and at times even to enlightenment, it would seem quite tragic if the Western setting is thwarting this potential, rendering potential sages confused, troubled and ashamed. I think for instance of the Indian Papaji. From childhood he had seen vivid visions of Krishna. As these visions became less frequent he set out on a journey to find again the Hindu god, eventually coming to deep realizations about ultimate reality. He abandoned the idea of the visions of Krishna as being reality, understanding that what appears and disappears is not real, and thus searching for that that is always present and doesn't change, the true nature behind the self, the bare awareness beyond conceptions or ego, behind the very question Who Am I. This is an inspiring and profound teaching in my opinion. Had Papaji grown up in the west, I suspect he would have ended as a miserable being on the fringes of society instead of as a great teacher. Could there be similar individuals, gifted by nature but cursed by their cultural setting, who have spontaneously experienced true reality without the proper preparation or guidance, now rotting in insane asylums? What specific mental "disorders" may fit what would otherwise be defined as spiritual, potentially enlightening modes of perception?

2. gendorf

gendorf Senior Member

I think Buddhism IS based on the psychedelic experience.
    AND NO... you cant achieve these states of mind without drugs. No matter what anyone says.

3. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

after getting into psychedelics, i have developed a small interest in eastern philosophies. i dunno much about them yet though.

i do think that practicing meditation for a lifetime could very well produce a more profound trip than eating synthetic mescaline, gendorf.

the three people you reference, OP, i will have to look up.

interesting thread, but this sub-forum doesn't get a lot of traffic.

4. thatblindguy

thatblindguy Member

I believe Timothy Leary's The Psychadelic Experience uses elements of eastern philosophy to create a manual for making the most of a trip. I've only skimmed through it but it seemed interesting.

5. AnaRchic

AnaRchic Guest

A heavy dose of mushrooms did teach me that at least certain aspects of eastern philosophy are true; in particular the ideas of oneness, codependent origination, and no-self.

Division/separation is an illusion, all things depend on all other things for their existence, all is one, mind and matter are one, all of nature exists as a dynamic unified duality, the 'ego' is an illusion, the meaning of life is to live a fully human life, and spiritual love is the full embrace of existential unity.

Just a few of the things I have been taught through psychedelic experiences. I think eastern philosophy has been closer to the truth than western thought.

6. celebrating

celebrating Member

But Buddhism started CENTURIES BEFORE psychedelic experience.
    Hippies did borrow a lot from India and put it into everything they did.

7. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

^^^you sure about that? buddhism was before LSD, sure. but people have been eating mushrooms and cacti for centuries.

scratcho likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I dare to question this. How can you as a drugs consumer be certain about enlightened non drug users anyway?

9. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have a copy of the following book on my shelf.

"The Psychedelic Experience"
    A Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead
    by
    Timothy Leary, Ph.D.
    Ralph Metzner, Ph.D.
    Richard Alpert, Ph.D

10. celebrating

celebrating Member

No book of meditation, talks about the wonders of Drugs. But you're right,these plants have existed for centuries since the world began. Many SACRED ceremonies were done using these. From what I see TODAY, Masters of meditation speak against the use of drugs. But maybe they used them, I have no way of knowing.

11. gendorf

gendorf Senior Member

Idunno what goes on in the mind of the "non-dope fiend" anymore... but

I believe in the stoned ape theory. and I think the old Buddhist monks were eating mushrooms.

Did you read the Tibetan book of the Dead?
    I think the writer of that book tripped ballz on mush.

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

This is from an article about Ecstasy on erowid, I'm sure opinions differ among spiritual leaders but It's interesting to hear this perspective...

It may be mostly conjecture but Terrence Mckenna theorized that meditative techniques were 'tools' developed early on in human tribes/socities out of the psychedelic experience and as temperature changes and migration occurred, these socities lost contact with the psychedelic source.

13. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

14. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

my good acid experiences when i was fourteen directly set my feet on the path of eastern mysticism and i am still there 45 years later though now without needing psychedelics. my bad acid experienced purged the desire to continue with the druggy version of seeking and i went first to yoga for 20 years then to tibetan buddhism for the last 20+

Toker likes this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

As I received it; the 5th Precept states that "I vow not to abuse mind-altering substances nor to encourage others to do so, but to keep the mind clear."
    Bodhidharma defined enlightenment as not giving rise to delusion, and rec. drugs are inherently delusive.
    I think McKenna's full of shit.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I vowed to abuse mind altering substances--especially window pane acid. Helped me disavow being a stupid drunk among other enlightenments:sunglasses:

Toker likes this.