Reggae on the Rocks

Discussion in 'Reggae and Ska' started by *MAMA*, Jul 10, 2013.

1. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

Has anyone ever attended this event in Denver, Co? I'm making the journey out for it next month. Rebelution, Collie Budz, Inner Circle, and Matisyahu ftw.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I was part of Matisyahu's support crew in his black hat days for one Reggae on the Rocks.

I can tell you about the venue. It was my "big home venue" and visible from my home for many years.

Get there early. Lots of parking, but scattered through the park.
    Bring water.
    Bring water.
    Bring water.
    Do you have enough water?
    If you get to Denver just before the show day, know that flat landers get a mild mountain sickness. Carbs, water and taking it easy help.
    Also, if you just got in, especially if you flew, altitude has effects on how alcohol and pot can affect you. So, start slow.
    Psychedelics, not so much, aside from dehydration concerns.
    So, drink water.

Red Rocks security will go through bags. Glass is one thing they are looking for.
    (Also amendment 64 isn't all worked out. Red Rocks is a Denver Mountain Park in a different town/county law enforcement jurisdiction. Be smart with pot)

Empty water bottles have not been a problem for me, but I have heard of some metal ones being taken. Mine have always made it in.

Cameras are hit and miss. Go with a point and shoot to avoid hassle.

Food. You can bring in small amounts of fruit and other snacks.

Blankets. Recently, tarping large areas of seats has been disallowed. I don't know if that has changed how security folks have to look at blankets. One is probably fine. Three, not so much. FWIW, the seats are wood and concrete.

Bring layers. One quick rainstorm, and you can almost count on one, and the temp can plummet. I've painted in a wool hat and gloves in August. And a tshirt and shorts in late September.

Traffic is all routed out to I-70 after the show. It is slow going, so hanging out a while can make it easier.

It very rare to be able to stay the night in the lots.
    Find a hotel/motel. Avoid east Colfax for this. West Colfax is fine. East is for the working girls and meth heads.
    Anything along 70 or Colorado 470, even the Denver Tech (DTC) area will be pretty easy to get to.

3. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

Thank you for the info! I've been to Global and a couple other things at Red Rocks. It's absolutely gorgeous out there.