Questions about my encounter with the cops

Discussion in 'Busted!' started by BakeDaily, Jul 8, 2013.

1. BakeDaily

BakeDaily Member

Alright so on about a week ago (on 7/1/13) I was stopped by the cops while carrying 3 jars of weed. One had a little less than an ounce, another had a couple buds in it and the other had two dubs and a dime in it all together it was a little over an ounce (btw I live in NY so under 25g is decriminalized, just a violation). I ended up getting off with just being brought home to my parents (im 17, first offense, pulled the "im a little innocent white kid card") anyways the cop said that he could charge me for a felony for "selling" just because it was in different jars and bags. He said that he could come and arrest me within 30 days of the incident, which i have been trying to find out about, some websites and forums have said they have a year that they can still charge you for something, where others say they cant do anything after that day. I just figured I would post the question on whether I can still get charged or not here and see if anyone can help. Thanks! :D

2. DNCämþër

DNCämþër Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It all depends on your state's statute of limitations on crimes.

Here in PA they can file charges for a misdemeanor for up to two years. Felonies (excluding homicide) 5 years, other crimes 10 years and some never have a limitation.

I would look up your states statues to know for sure.

Sounds like he cut you a good break for sure and that was prolly his way of saying if he caught you again he can still charge you with what he let you go with...

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're still a minor so the felony would be harder too make stick considering the relatively small amount you had. Also doubt they will come back and file charges later for something so trivial. The anticipated monetary gain versus the cost for the state pretty much guarantees they aren't coming after you.

They only go after pot busts for 3 reasons anymore;
    money
    politics
    appeasement
    and all three are usually very intertwined.

I doubt throwing you in jail for two ounces would fulfill any of those criteria.

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The part about charging you with distribution is true. Any amount of drugs from a gram to a pound as long as it is in more then one container makes you a dealer. If he was going to arrest you it would have been that day don't worry.

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

There is also the very strong possibility that he just kept the weed for himself to smoke or sell, wouldn't be the first time. ;)
    No bust, No paperwork, It never happened.
    "Weed? What weed?" (cops response if asked)

6. Zadooey

Zadooey Member

Why were you stopped?