Do you trust the Media?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by PhotoDude, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

just checked the Wilkepedia pages for The Mena intermountain Airport,its on there.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Why would anyone with a functioning brain blindly trust anyone or anything, much less something as agenda driven as corporate media?? The only reason I can think of is that such people have handed their brains over to someone else to do their thinking for them. Sad, but such is the nature of psychological warfare.

1 person likes this.
  3. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

The only media I get is from the Internet...mainstream media is all about agendas. Lies, lies, lies

1 person likes this.
  4. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

Yet I am supposed to trust you.

2 people like this.
  5. Pressed_Rat

Um, no. Did I ask you to trust me? People need only trust themselves and their own intuitions.

4 people like this.
  6. Pressed_Rat

There is plenty of lies and disinformation on the internet as well. But unlike the television, truth can be found online using some discernment if you look hard enough. That's why the government wants to enact legislation to more easily control the flow of information online.

7. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

What a novel idea.

That way, everyone can ignore anything that doesn't click with their own preconceived notions and tribal allegiances.

They can fear or ridicule what they don't understand, and make up their own stories to support their politics.

Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a blind deluded slave!

1 person likes this.
  8. Pressed_Rat

Continue believing anything "experts" tell you to think without ever using your own brain. Nobody is stopping you.

9. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

I guess I'm pretty stupid for listening to people who actually know what they're talking about instead of making shit up because I like the way it makes me feel.
    So if you're not relying on journalists to let you know what's going on in the world, how exactly are you getting your information?

10. Pressed_Rat

I read books, study history, then use the knowledge of what I've learned to come to my own conclusion about things. This is different than letting others do your thinking for you and believing them simply because they hold some prestigious title. This is why some people regurgitate what they hear on the 6 o'clock news, while some prefer to dig a bit deeper. "Relying" on anyone to think for you is dangerous.

But nobody is telling you what to do or how to think, so just fuck off already. I never asked you to believe what I do.

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Hmmmm.... someone touched a nerve, PR?

12. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

I'm not even going to ask what you mean by 'reading books and studying history', because I'm pretty sure I know what type of books they are and what 'studying history' involves in your mind.

As far as I can tell, you just keep repeating over and over that the government is evil and trying to deceive everyone, the corporations are evil and trying to deceive everyone, and everyone except you is stupid and deceived by the evil and doomed to fall prey to it. Almost everything is either a hoax, a distraction or part of a plot to take over the world.

Do you seriously believe that it is in any way necessary for the people in power to get even more power than they already have? That the global elites have an active interest in potentially destabilizing the establishment that has served them so well? That anyone in their right mind would want to rile up the right-wing loonies who already piss themselves with rage when someone suggests you should be have to be sane to own a gun or for whom all taxation is communism?

Like all conspiracy theorists, you're sure that the elites/NWOers/illuminati are inconceivably brilliant and every single stage of their ancient, insidious plan has, remarkably, unfolded exactly as they've intended... and we are now on the verge of checkmate. Of course, the only people brilliant enough to realize what's occurring are you and the people who believe what you do.

I don't expect you to ever accept anything other than this goofy conspiracy narrative... especially not because of anything I say, but at least recognize that you're not intellectually superior to anyone simply because you choose that narrative over another.

6 people like this.
  13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

This thread speaks quite loudly!!!!!

14. Existensile

Existensile Member

Some years back, maybe 'round 2006, I happened to catch, quite by channel surfing, an interview on CSPAN's Book Notes betw. a retired U.S. Army colonel & another Army colonel, Col. Janis Karpinski, who had been the commander of a reserve military police brigade in Iraq, some of which's members were involved in the sordid Abu Ghraib prison scandal.

These were not journalists but presumably experts in their field (U.S. armed forces). It was clear that both colonels agreed that Col. Karpinski had been the selected scapegoat for the prison disaster. But otherwise the interview was my introduction to the Iraq war as the playground for power struggles betw. military commanders & betw. them & their civilian overlords. Suffice it to say I soon followed the commentaries of both colonels elsewhere (I read Col. Karpinski's book), which led to my acquiring a view of that war & all later U.S. military adventures quite divergent from what was being & still is reported on the major news outlets, including the Internet outlets.

Coincidently, I've worked for a DoD office for more than a decade, & what heard from soldiers & Marines about their multiple tours in Iraq & Afghanistan was pretty much in line w/ what those colonels were talking about.

15. stev

stev Members

The only media I trust is The San Francisco Oracle.

All 12 issues.

16. Berry88

Berry88 Members

When I need to know what's really going on I look for the informatiom in few completely different sources. The facts that are exact the same in all of them are usually true.

17. SMcDaniel001

SMcDaniel001 Members

The media has lost all credibility. I grew up in an era where you trusted your newsman. He was fallible like all the rest of us. And if he was a political bent or bias, he always kept it hidden and as far as we could tell, he was being objective. I think this all began to change with Dan Rather. I think Rather was the first with the idea that he would advance his agenda and try to pass it off as "news". You can't find anyone that just wants to report the facts anymore. Everyone spins it. And I curse them all for trying to act sheepish and pretending to be objective.

18. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

There is the truth we are told and there is the truth we choose to believe.

19. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Exactly mate....... USE YOUR OWN MIND......DONT LET IT BE FILLED WITH GARBAGE THEY WANT YOU THINKING!!

20. Kiprat

Kiprat ophidiophobe

Why implicitly trust the media? Its owners have their views that they wish to impose on users, good or bad. And public relations in simply the use of the media to portray one view. Its like saying implicitly trusting a lawyer speaking in defence of his client.

2 people like this.