Do you trust the Media?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by PhotoDude, Jul 7, 2013.

1. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

Love to hear your reasons.

2. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

I trust some sources.
    I'm looking for well reasoned articles, commentaries that include historic/political background, news without populist approach, there are certain journalists and commentators I trust more.

I dislike dumbed down news and unintelligent interviewers, interviews with pre-approved questions, etc.
    I also don't like short video clips, because one sentence is too easily taken out of context.
    I hate it when journalists write opinions in newspaper articles and avoid such newspapers like the plague. Newspaper articles are for facts. Their interpretation is up to me as the reader. If I'm reading an opinion I want it to be titled commentary or something similar.

1 person likes this.
  3. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Of course I don't.

They want to sell a product ... truth ain't got nothing to do with it (think of estate agents, but with a product with an infinitesimally short shelf life rather than a to all intents and purposes unlimited shelf life).

4. zartor

zartor Guest

depends! Sometimes I can sense a clear agenda or opinion that someone has, when reading a newspaper for example. It can be interesting but i remember that everything that i'm reading is someone's opinion, so if im looking to get the best overall picture of what's going on, i wont rely on just one article. also, a lot of times the media leaves a lot of things out and deceives it's audience

5. unedited

unedited Member

media is owned and the owners have their own narrow political ideaology and agenda

there's been a debate in uk politics over the size of the state and the financial deficit. the media have turned it into a "cut spending" or "increase borrowing" dichotomy.

there's ZERO mention of a third option "raise revenue" (ie increase taxes on the richest in society).

the media haven't decided the debate, but they've made sure the debate is only held within boundaries they've defined.

meh. MEH.

6. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

No.

Question everything.

Dude111, farmerdon and Logan 5 like this.
  7. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

I was a Hell no before I knew I could vote Hell NO!

Dude111 likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, I trust them to be entertaining and generally not to be entirely objective. Some try to be.

Dude111 and Terrapin2190 like this.
  9. odonII

odonII O

I trust some sources more than others but still wouldn't say I trust one source completely. Do I trust the media? It's like asking: Do I trust the human race?
    We have a reasonable choice here in the UK.
    And there is always the Internet if you really want to be deluged with information.

10. odonII

odonII O

Do you know what the position is of the three main parties, and the three parties below them? Is there a political party that is championing only increasing taxes on the richest in society? I think there has been plenty of mentions regarding not punishing the poor, a 'mansion tax', a 'robin hood tax' etc etc etc. 'increase taxes on the richest in society' isn't a third option, it's potentially part of a solution. An option that is widely debated.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=n...8,d.d2k&fp=4ecafe563b63eff5&biw=1920&bih=1017

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=n...8,d.d2k&fp=4ecafe563b63eff5&biw=1920&bih=1017

etc etc etc

11. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Well said :2thumbsup:

12. unedited

unedited Member

Lol, it is part of the solution there I agree.

But in the media led debate, there is far less talk of 'raising revenue' as part of a solution. The only way a political party can talk about raising revenue without being slaughtered in the media is if it's a small impact tax in a highly targeted area for a specific spending commitment. To 'raise revenue' as a general idea (like 'cut spending' or 'increase borrowing') is not part of the debate.

The taxes you mention would only raise relatively small amounts and the 'mansion tax' would be used to fund specific investments in youth employment. The 'robin hood' or tobin tax is an idea I personally think is a no-brainer, it's immoral NOT to introduce it... but where in the media do you find any support for it? The occasional lefty columnist in the Indie or Guardian but generally the debate has been shut down by the right wing press and their hysterical clamouring.

13. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Nope, I don't trust any media, because it's all corporate-sponsored. It doesn't matter if it's left or right on the political spectrum.

14. laughing-buddha

laughing-buddha Relax and have fun

No. I don't trust Media.
    All are either biased or "poodle skirted cheerleaders of the Government" as someone said a month back

http://gulfnews.com/news/region/egypt/al-jazeera-staff-resign-after-biased-egypt-coverage-1.1206924

Cairo: The news channel Al Jazeera Mubasher Misr saw 22 members of staff resign on Monday in Egypt over what they alleged was coverage that was out of sync with real events in Egypt.
    Anchor Karem Mahmoud announced that the staff had resigned in protest against what he called “biased coverage” of the events in Egypt by the Qatari broadcaster.

Mahmoud said that the resignations had been brought about by a perceived lack of commitment and Al Jazeera professionalism in media coverage, adding that “the management in Doha provokes sedition among the Egyptian people and has an agenda against Egypt and other Arab countries.”

Mahmoud added that the management used to instruct each staff member to favour the Muslim Brotherhood.

15. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I totally trust the media.

Just about any well known medium can be trusted for communications. I trust the medium of radio, because I can demonstrate with my radio gear that things can be transmitted. I trust the IP medium, because I can demonstrate how encapsulation works, and "put the packet under the microscope" and show its bits and bytes.

I may not trust most organizations who use most media for mass communication, but I genearlly trust the reliability of the medium, and trust it even more with redundancy through other media.

16. odonII

odonII O

It isn't all 'corporate'
    'Often trolling' lets show often isn't always.
    How is RT, ITN or the BBC 'corporate'?
    What isn't?
    If you do not trust 'corporate' what do you trust - e.g's.

17. odonII

odonII O

unedited

ZERO can't just magicaly turn into 'far less'. If you are talking about how something that is not discussed, is that it isn't? You can't say: 'withought being slaughtered'...if it isn't discussed.

So, it's gone from NEVER being discussed, to only discussed in 'lefty' newspapers or by 'lefty' journalists?
    Make up your mind.

The two e.g's I give are OFTEN discussed - which is the point.

18. AmyDaugherty

AmyDaugherty Banned

No not at all as they always try to exploit the viewers and readers with their fake news and informations..

19. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

No don't trust the Media. Question everything

20. AmyDaugherty

AmyDaugherty Banned

no no no no trust at all. they cant be trusted anymore here with...

21. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

Internet can now give you much more different sources and you can build your own image what's really going one (when you go through all the sources of course)

But really the news looks something like this:

Hello I'm your tv host and we are bringing you the news which you have heard on the internet two hours ago.