Anyone not wash their hair?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by wiccan_witch, Jun 2, 2013.

1. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

My hairdresser told me to stop washing my hair and to use only conditioner in it. It's so curly she said it doesn't need shampoo.

Anyone else heard of this / does this? What condition is your hair in?

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I didn't use shampoo for a long time. I know a lot of people just use conditioner when they stop using shampoo but I didn't really care for this method because you're still putting chemicals in your hair. Conditioner always made my hair kind of limp too, but if you have thick curly hair you would probably have better results.

If you want to cut out using chemicals on your hair completely, you could always try washing your hair with baking soda and rinsing with apple cider vinegar. ACV is a natural conditioner and it balances the PH from washing with baking soda.

When I didn't use shampoo I just rinsed with water and my hair looked really amazing. I got compliments on it all the time. I moved somewhere that had really hard water and my hair started looking a little greasy so the water only thing stopped working for me after a while.

Now I just use an organic shampoo a couple of times a week and I only put shampoo on my roots and don't put anything else on the rest of my hair. My hair is still really healthy but not quite as healthy and thick as it was when I didn't use shampoo at all.

I would definitely recommend giving up shampoo. It takes a few weeks for your hair to get adjusted - it naturally cleans itself. Shampoo strips your hair of its natural oils so your scalp is constantly producing oils, which is why your hair gets greasy. It will regulate its oil production after a few weeks of not shampooing so don't get discouraged if it looks limp and greasy for the first week or two!

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I do a hybrid of roots only shampoo (and usually soap based, not detergent based) and conditioner washing on the length.

While my hair is straight, each individual hair is medium thickness. I get a bit of weigh down at the crown if I'm not careful.

My conditioner dilution ratio is 2:1 water:conditioner.

4. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Way back when we used to be able to get "cream rinse" which was just that. I dilute my conditioner too. :2thumbsup: They just sell conditioner that way now so people use way more than they need.

5. drumminmama

Yep. I remember cream rinse, and that whole too many products "system" from Sasson.

In reality, twice a week with the original Clairol Herbal Essences did the deed for a kid, even a long haired kid. I did have Tame detangler for when it was needed.

Today, I like tinkering, but it comes down to cleaning the scalp, rinsing hair and sealing in some moisture.

One thing, WiccanWitch, don't fall for Wen. It is conditioner only/curly girl method with a big price tag.
    Personally, I would not use a conditioner with -cones as a cleansing conditioner. It's fine as a finishing conditioner, although if you use -cones or other products on your hair, and occasional clarifying shampoo might be needed.

CO has allowed my waves, such as they are, to stand out some.

6. ColorExchange

ColorExchange Member

People used to wash their hair with ordinary soap because they had nothing else. Before then, people washed their hair with clay because it somehow absorbed body oil.

7. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Not just for good hair but for good scalp. This is the way to go.

8. ColorExchange

ColorExchange Member

baking soda cleans just about everything, and is generally harmless to the environment.

9. wiccan_witch

Instructions for how to use baking soda as a shampoo? :)

10. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

I wash my hair with shampoo 3-4 times a week. It's way too often, but I don't know how else to get the chlorine from the swimming pool out of my hair.

Does anyone have some other, more natural solution?

11. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

12. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I have super thick, frizzy, curly hair, and every time I wash it it looks like I've spent the day rubbing balloons in my hair. I'm currently trying to grow my hair out, so it's become a lo more noticeable. I've tried washing less frequently, but I work in a very dirty environment and my hair gets nasty. I'm going to look into baking soda or some type of dready shampoo

13. drumminmama

^^ that's exactly the hair that will benefit from conditioner only washing.

14. wiccan_witch

Tried the baking soda -it did a great job of cleaning out the hair! My hair is very curly, too.

15. nz male

nz male Senior Member

I wash my hair before I wash any other part of my body. I like my hair short & hate it's greyish colour. Wish it was blonde again.

16. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

What kind of conditioner would you recommend?

17. Cavlin

Cavlin Banned

I do wash thrice in a week.

18. wiccan_witch

So I have been doing the baking soda thing once a week for a fair few months now, and got great results! My hair is definitely not half as dry as it used to be. Am moving overseas soon to a highly populated country with a lot of pollution. Am wondering if I should switch back to an organic shampoo because the water is going to probably be a lot different.

19. drumminmama

Honestly, I'd look for shampoo locally. They will be formulated for the country's typical water.

Failing that, and if baking soda is hard to come by, try a true soap followed with acidic rinse:vinegars, citrus, whatever is around.

20. yogesh

yogesh Guest

Hi friends, I suggest you that baking soda is a useful product to clean the hair.If you want to know more, how to use baking soda as a shampoo . You should follow these steps………1 mix it in a small plastic bottle. ½ baking soda. 3 cups of warm water. After mixing you should use it and after washing hair you rinse with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar. You would wash once every 2-3 days.