Living in the woods...

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by grace_sagewillow, Jun 2, 2013.

1. grace_sagewillow

grace_sagewillow Guest

I'm almost out of high school, but already I am tired of this broken society. It's not the place for me. People don't live here, they don't seem happy or fulfilled (of course that's a sweeping generalization, and I could never actually know that)..I guess from my perspective life in this society isn't really life. We live in a patriarchy where things are very ordered, very Apollonian. There's no balance; the Dionysian side has all but disappeared from society. I have very little Apollonian in me, besides a love of thinking, but I long for nature and fluidity and life and spirituality.

But my question is this: do you think that's selfish? To leave completely, live off the land, etc, not stick around to try and make any changes to this damaged system? I think change to a system is almost useless; it all has to do with the minds of the people, but what can be done about that when people are so brainwashed by the media and procedure? (I know, another generalization, but really seems that way!)
    Anyways, I don't think it's selfish, and I wouldn't say that I'm running away from work or obligations, I'm just trying to live. But I'm curious about what you all think! Is there away to combine change and the eschewing of society? Do you think we have an obligation to make change? If anyone has left society for a period of time, what encouraged you to do so?
    As a side note, I'm so excited to explore other ways of living and finally meeting some people who feel as I do!

2. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

I think most people simply live, regardless of the social circumstances; and they are, like you, searching for fulfillment, whatever that might be. I suppose happiness is where you find it. If society is a drag on your spirit, then maybe you should search for an alternative.

3. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

You have to do what fulfills you. Personally, for me moving to a large piece of land in the country provides me with a refuge from what I feel is becoming a more self absorbed and selfish society. On my land, it's my laws, or lack of. My dogs can be dogs. They run and hunt on 19 acres and I can get back to my roots as a hunter- gatherer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rich and society is not far away.I work part time but get to return to my chosen world when I have had enough. I can have free range chickens and grow organic food and say: fuck you Monsanto. Everyone on my back road has acreage so the houses are spread out. But we also know that realistically we may all need assistance at times. So when asked we do what we can. I moved here from the burbs and could never go back to that lifestyle. I hope my insight helps. Peace

4. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

I think you have the wisdom that many people far older than you lack. So many go through an idealist stage in life and then become depessed and disapointed when they realize that their efforts have been wasted and no one cares. Look at all the previous societies and civilizations that have collapsed. I am sure that there were idealists who tried to save tham but their efforts were all in vain. You are not selfish. I think that you are a realist.
    People have lived off the land since before recorded history and will continue to do so when our present civilization is dead and forgotten.

5. DrewSpeaksTrue

DrewSpeaksTrue Member

Stay true to your own path and you can't go wrong! The mamas and the papas said it best "You gotta go where you wanna go, do what you wanna do, with whoever you wanna do it with"

6. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Why would you care if it is selfish or not? You are going into the woods and not giving the fuck about flawed society anymore.

I wanted to do same thing as you. Year ago it peaked, but I didn't go. I've finished high school 2 months ago.

While you are in school, try to spend more time in nature. Go for long walks into the woods, alone or not.

I don't know if I would go without anything to the woods right now. It is not as simple as it seems. If I had land and a wooden cabin and some money I probably wouldn't hesistate.

What I would prefer right now is joining some tribe somewhere. I don't know if any would want me and if I would feel right there. I'd have to learn the language, but I could help them technologically and bring new ideas to help them. Theres not much tribes like this left though. What comes to my mind right now are amazon forests, wild parts of africa and aborigens in australia.

But I'm kinda slowly figuring my way in the society. I hate it, but you can turn it to your needs with some effort.

After all, would you be really happy living alone in woods? Would it solve all of your problems? Would you be able to spend rest of your life there? It is a big decision. Some people did it and so can you, but I would advise waiting some time(month, year) no matter how you feel right now.

---

Thinking you can fix the world is young man foolishness. With every year of getting older you realise there is no hope. When you finish high-school and your call of the wild will still be strong you can try going to woods for month or so to see if you really do enjoy it and if you are able to do it.

Watch "Into the Wild" movie and/or read book. When I posted similar thread here some time ago, someone showed me it. Worth watching. :)

7. Jawjadude

Jawjadude Guest

When I left the military the first time (1985), I was young and had a bank full of saved up money. I bought everything I needed to survive in the wilderness (except food/water). I stuffed it all into an XL ruck sack and set off into the Appalachian mountains, my intent was to stay for one year.

I lasted approximately 2 months!

I still have my dairy I kept from back then, one day my grandkids will read it and relive what grandpa went through.

The hardest thing for me was adapting to hunger. I didn't have a gun, only a couple knives, pocket knife and big bowie. Rabbits and chipmunks are easy to catch (according to books) and I did actually catch one rabbit with a snare. But preserving meat for another day presents challenges of its own, flies, gnats, humidity...

I ate crawfish, small minnows, roots, and stumbled upon the occasional berry patch, but that stuff gets old quick. I did however make a very nice camp, small "lodge" next to a stream which provided fresh water, but never a fish of quality size. If I had taken a .22 long rifle and 1000 rounds, I probably could've made it an entire year. Living "off the land" looks easy on TV and sounds exciting in books, but actually "living off the land" is hard, you will get hungry, you will lose weight, you'll get the shits, cramps, shivers, weak, all that stuff.

That snare, dead-fall and pit-fall trap stuff looks good on TV, but when you're starving and weak from hunger, they rarely work and eventually you'll end up eating something that gives you the shits, then you're in big trouble.

When I finally came out of the mountains and made my way to a pay phone to call my dad to come get me, I weighed a scrawny 145 pounds, he didn't even recognize his own son.

That two months seemed like two years. If you're serious about dropping out of civilization and "living off the land" I suggest you take a GPS so someone can find your carcass.

1 person likes this.
  8. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. You probably would have made it for a longer time with a rifle and some ammo and some modern steel traps but don't forget, the natives had no guns and they were able to survive in the woods here for thousands of years. I have lived in the woods for shorter time periods than you and it is a real learning experience. In the old days, those who made a mistake or just had bad luck simply died off. The number of people that an area could support was not very big. Nomads kept having to move around to find animals, fish, plants and berries to eat. Much time was spent drying and smoking foods for the winter. Also, another difference is that there was a lot more game in the woods and fish in the lakes and rivers a few hundred years ago than there is now so a modern day mountain man would find it to be more of a challenge to find something to eat.

9. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I live in Northern Colorado. I've been here for over 30 years, and have much love for Cache Le Poudre Canyon. Living here has become very expensive, because of an influx of California millionaires. I am now thinking of starting an intentional community, somewhere. I've though about northern Michigan, or Oregon. I would love to hear from like minded people who would like to live off grid, as in solar power, our own water filtration system, our own natural heat, and our own organic non-GMO garden. I was thinking of growing enough vegetables to make and freeze our salsa, pie filling, and so on. The advantage about the mid-west is that we could get stuff from the Amish farmers, like butter, cheese, and eggs. These are just ideas; but, I would like to know if there are a few people who wish to explore this idea and offer suggestions. We can discuss equal shares, as in a commune situation, or where one person buys the place and others pay a small rent.

10. Poppybabe

Poppybabe Guest

Ima farm girl transplanted Idahoan to Michigan, if you plan on moving to the U.P. take plenty of friends as the Amish will gladly take your cash, but befriend or help you out they won't do. Happily moving home to the mountains!!

11. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

I would not mind living in the middle of nowhere, no neighbors for many miles, so long as i had access to high speed internet there.

12. stormountainman

Thank you Poppybabe, I know what you mean about the reclusive Amish. They have always been cordial with me, even when not outright friendly. In Idaho, Utah, and Nevada you've got a similar situation with the Mormons. In any case, I'm just exploring ideas to see what is best to do. My friend Curt bought a nice place on three and a half acres near Jerome in Idaho. He seems to get along with the folks up there. Most likely, each situation is a little different, depending on where you are.

13. stormountainman

Maelstrom, you can get satellite service for a reasonable amount these days. My friends in Cache Le Poudre Canyon have Blue Sky, or Blue Star. It seems to work good most of the time, unless there is too much snow.

14. Bronwynmac

Bronwynmac Banned

We live in the woods as you say, it ain't been easy but good moments.

15. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Everything happens on the edge.

16. Bronwynmac

Bronwynmac Banned

Many good moments.
    We shifted the bath into the house when the kids came.
    before it was magic , we had the bath outside on the grass and a copper,sometimes it would snow and you would be in the bath up to your neck in hot water .
    Steam comes off the bath water and it was so beautiful.

17. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I don't think it is selfish at all. You have to do what brings you happiness. I once did live in the woods and yes it is doable but it is hard. I would start living on the fringe of society first then gradually move out further when you feel comfortable. I don't have the energy for that lifestyle thesr days which is why I am sticking to the road. Only other suggestion I have is don't go it alone. Loneliness can do you in more than you think. Anyone can become injured or sick.

Good luck with your quest and hope it brings meaning to your life. And just because you are dropping out does not mean some day you won't have an effect on people. Someday perhaps you will encorrage or inspire someone else.

18. pharmer420

pharmer420 Member Lifetime Supporter

I would highly recommend 2 books before you go.
    FM 21-76
    FM 21-11
    Read and memorize them and you will have a reasonable change for survival.
    Oh, and buy a rifle.

19. falconer

falconer Member

I once dreamed of living off the land, apart from society...
    i had read a book titled My Side of the Mountain. I was ten at the time, but it inspired me to learn, and hone my survival skills. The book also inspired me to become a falconer.

It's been nearly 16 years since then. I no longer desire to abandon society, but instead i will improve this world. I no longer live for myself.

My point is, youre a kid in high school, who will begin to live life after that. You never know where the future takes you. I do encourage anyone and everyone to try "roughing" it for a week at least once, though.

20. falconer

falconer Member

Didn't john phillips fuck his daughter? Lol