facebook gives me the creeps

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by seaofdreams, May 7, 2013.

1. odonII

odonII O

Are you sure you've got that right?

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Clickety Click

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

It should.... I am glad you got off that site...... TAKE YOUR LIFE BACK BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!

:)

4. odonII

odonII O

Agh, fair enough. It was just: data protection argument, phone and their servers would have a map of your retina

I didn't think they would have to map/store your retinal information.

5. LadyAvenger

LadyAvenger Member

At least on Facebook you can delete what you write after 48 hours, you have control. And at least on Facebook not everything you do shows up on Google. I don't understand how you can be more afraid of Facebook then anything like.. I don't know.. a public forum?

I mean seriously, you're afraid of something that can be private.. but you're not afraid of the fact that when I search "seaofdreams" on Google it comes up with oral and anal, psychedelic sex, and talking about what you're dreaming and that you're "so fucking bored"?

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I guess the difference is that you are anonymous here, or at least as anonymous as you want to be.

7. seaofdreams

seaofdreams Member

I don't have anything to identify myself on the forums, the thing which bothers me about facebook is that everyone has some sort of vested interest. And wtf, I typed seaofdreams in Google and that didn't show up at all... are you stalking me? hahaha

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

Hip Forums server is buried under 25tons of hashish in the Netherlands ..

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

When I type in americanterrorist to google I get...well, stuff about American terrorist's...as well as the lyrics to the Lupe Fiasco song (that I got this name from)...even when I type "americanterrorist hipforums" into google the only things I get with my user name on it is my "America! Fuck yeah!" thread... and the lupe fiasco lyrics.
    So, yay. :)

10. seaofdreams

seaofdreams Member

Great... now when the revolution comes, I am going to be labeled a suspected terrorist. Thanks alot. *puts on his fema camp clothes*

11. Sixpence

Sixpence Member

It`s the best way I`ve found to find information, since everyone posts everything on it.
    If you`re smart, you can use it more to your advantage than the "they" can use it against you. I tend to be more the creeper than the creep-ee.
    It`s also good for keeping up with bands/venues and other event-type information, so you miss a lot less.

You don`t have to fill in the correct information on your profile, you can choose who your "friends" are and remove/block anyone you like. You can also choose who you want to see stuff from and go "offline" to individual people.

Personally I don`t post much about things I`m going to or what`s happened in my daily life. I don`t post about events/concerts I`m attending until after the fact. My location/schools/workplace are false.
    I go offline to "friends" that I`ve been obligated to add, yet don`t like, so I don`t have to talk to anyone I don`t wish to for the most part. Generally I only use it to chat, save pictures to incase my computer crashes (like photobucket), and to send myself information (reminders, photos for drawing, etc...).

In the grand scheme of things though, there isn`t much you can post on Facebook that the government can`t find out anyway (though if you post about your drug usage, it saves them work while trying to bust you/your buddies). Its just a matter of whether they want to or not. It`s still good to keep away unwanted people that happen to be on your "friends" list.

Edit: On another note, the government can find out anything you do on the internet. It`s easy for them to grab IP addresses. Once they have that, anything you do online is traceable. Forum posts, what you watch on Youtube, Google searches, what websites you`ve visited (even cleared history), etc...Facebook is only a convenience for them.

12. Mzi

Mzi Member

You Americans and Australians use Twitter, but here in Europe we mostly use facebook... Nothing bad in thiss social FB network

13. Mzi

Mzi Member

I agree

14. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Interestingly, I get the creepy vibe from this site rather than FB.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Not so much interesting as typical :mickey:

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's true, pretty much everyone gets anally raped in the US. US jails, even more so.

17. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

true enough, I'm afraid.

18. seaofdreams

seaofdreams Member

yes i agree, nothing new to me. i knew the nsa logs all internet activity long before the recent whistleblower, in fact i posted it on my (now deleted) facebook page ^_^ of course i never used my real information on that social media crap bowl.

i admit fb is useful for some things but you have to ask the question, is it worth it? funny you mentioned the bands/venues thing, as my friend that arranges bands for venues tells me that he is also quitting fb as he's tired of the egotism.

Strange because I was starting to get semi-creeps from this site too. This is the internet though, right?

19. Sixpence

Sixpence Member

I had a buddy awhile back whose friend was purchasing materials online for a bomb (recreational use) and the cops showed up at his place within that day. I`ve heard similar stories (though I can`t vouch for their validity) about people just searching the wrong thing on Google and having cops show up in an uncomfortably short amount of time. They actively watch the internet activity via keywords, etc...

The egotism, like your friend mentioned, is unavoidable on there. It`s kind of a join it, ignore it, block it, or leave situation. I only have about 4 real friends on there, so I block feed from most others if they start posting negativity and I delete what I don`t like (i.e., if someone starts an argument on my page, that whole row of comments will be gone).
    For now I`d say it`s worth it, at least until facial recognition technology is commonly available to the general public. Note Google Glass:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Glass
    Google has apparently "banned" the facial recognition technology from use in these glasses until a future time when such a thing will be less controversial.

20. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

I dropped my account because of the people from my past. They just reminded me of how old we're becoming.