facebook gives me the creeps

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by seaofdreams, May 7, 2013.

1. seaofdreams

seaofdreams Member

i just deleted my facebook account, partly because i don't like what facebook stands for and partly because i don't like everyone in my business. even though i'm sure many would agree, i can't help but get a creepy feeling about it. facebook really just tops it off by logging all activity, using facial recognition technology, and making it very difficult to delete your account.

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

never joined, the whole thing just seemed fucked up from the beginning.

2 people like this.
  3. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

You actually can't delete your account, just deactivate it. If you ever log in again, it's back.

You should go through and change all your information to fake stuff, delete your photos and remove tags.

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

wow...yea... I was thinking about re-joining but I don't know... I got rid of my acct about a year ago, maybe a little more. fb really seems not right in so many ways, including the facial recognition. plus I really didn't like having my mom and brother and other family in the same place as all my friends from parties and ppl that I would discuss "conspiracies" and music and just...everyone... all there. it was weird.

facebook... I don't know. it's too big and scary for me I think.

1 person likes this.
  5. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

yea I know right. when I "deleted" it they said all id have to do to get back on again is sign on.

6. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

None of the information on my Facebook is true. Different school, DOB, jobs etc. only morons publish their personal info and only idiots tag themselves in every place they go to. The old saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" rings full of truth when it comes to Facebook. I have a few guys on there that I fucking loathe and one day when I snap I'll know where they are, who they're with and how many shells of buckshot I need to bring to the occasion. And the silly fuckers don't even know. They probably think I'm over some of the stuff that happened many moons ago but I ain't. It's inside me, not locked away or anything, just there. I'm waiting for the right moment and time. Maybe one day I will get over things but until then, Facebook is gonna keep me updated with what's happening.

7. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I was on facebook for a year but did not like all the constant changes and unknown things going on behind the scenes so I deleted my account using this method. I removed as much as I could or changed information before deleting the account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O981DU78S-E"]How To Delete Facebook Account In 2013 | How To Delete A Facebook Account - YouTube

8. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

I don't really like it, but it's one way I keep in touch with people I know and know what they're up to these days.

If you don't want family to see your stuff, you can choose who can see what on your timeline.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't like that it is SO popular you are almost considered a creepy person if you don't have it. And that while a few years ago you were the creep if you were typing behind your screen all day... I rest my case, I will never join, just out of principle. I actually am annoyed by almost every aspect of it. Like people were freaking isolated before facebook. It's quite moronic.

1 person likes this.
  10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Sensed Something Sinister About Facebook From Day One,

Have Not Joined, And Never Will...:)

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  11. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I find it's the easiest way to keep in touch with friends and family, especially since they're all over the place. But I agree, it is sinister. I just hope that I'm too small for Big Brother to care about and someday maybe I'll "delete" it and disappear into the horizon.

12. newbie-one

that's the marketing goal of almost any product, isn't it? you must use our product, or else.

that makes me hate facebook even more

13. newbie-one

I can understand the sentiments, but imho, this is not the right way to go.

One reason is that killing your enemies will likely not make you happier. They'll be dead, but you'll likely be in jail, and quite possibly getting anally raped, if aussie jails are anything like the us. You could go the murder/suicide route, but that's not really a good outcome for you either.

There's also the possibility that you try to get them and something goes wrong. You fail to kill them and end up in jail. Or you end up hurting an innocent person, which (also, imho), makes it not worth it.

It's much better for something good to happen to you than for something bad to happen to your enemies.

Another thing to consider is that life has a way of bringing bad things to everyone sooner or later. There is a good chance that something might happen to them as bad or worse than anything that you would wish on them. And that way you have neither legal nor moral responsibility for what happens to them.

I'll give you an example. One time this particular family did something to piss me off. I didn't plot revenge on them though.

Soon after, one of the sons came down with this weird disease, apparently something genetic. It was a degenerative nervous system thing, he lost control of his body bit by bit. Died slow, horrible way to go.

The mom was also diagnosed with stage 4 cancer about the same time. She also had a heart attack very soon after her son's funeral.

There was no need for me to take any revenge on them, as indeed, something far more horrible than I would have ever wished on them happened. In fact, if it had been in my power simply to wish away all the bad things that happened to them, I think I would have.

Things like that have actually happened a lot to me. Someone screws me over, and then some fucked up shit happens to them not too long afterward. Nothing that I did, could have possibly done, or would have even wished to happen to them. A member of their family dies, they fall ill, they end up in jail.

It's like I have this psycho guardian angel that doesn't protect me from anything, but just kicks the shit out of anyone who fucks with me. It's weird. I wish it would stop, actually.

Hopefully I can get a replacement guardian angel that will do good things for me and others instead. :sunny:

so anyway, I would say maybe look into therapy or finding some better way of dealing with this than what you are considering. at the very least, I hope you can tone down the revenge to something less extreme.

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This post concerns me.

1 person likes this.
  15. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

It should be concerning because it's just that easy. I wouldn't know where to buy a shotgun here so don't take it too seriously, but if one of the American looneys ever had the same idea it could happen quick fast and because the majority of people just accept friend requests and alike and then have fun updating status and tagging in places, they're just publishing information that will be very relative to the wrong person.
    Most of my school enemies are actually dead. Mostly suicides. One still lives but has had a broken neck etc. I feel karma came back to them. I've still got a couple more who are on Facebook that I keep an eye on. They all seem to have families now. Heh, a sicko wouldn't even need to hurt the offender to get revenge. And because of Facebook it's just too easy. I'm surprised I've not heard of things like this happening more often. I've heard about massive brawls that start because someone has been tagged somewhere and an enemy found out and went to flatten him. Facebook is as much as a weapon as it is a friends networking application. That's why all my information is false but I knew going into it when I first joined that it needed to be false. On the exact opposite end of my rant, I don't want my enemies knowing where I am or what I'm doing.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, when you book concert tickets, did that the other day, athing popped up saying log into facebook and see where your "friends" are sitting. Like that what i want, to rum into someone i havent seen since high school and didnt even like then...at that time.

Thats creepy

17. Facebook gets on my nerves because hardly anybody pays attention to me. I've got all these friends and only one or two people ever give me a thumbs up or comments. It hurts my feelings and I want to lash out, and I feel like they can all see how pathetic I am, but I can't act like that was why I was posting, to get some attention. So now I just keep posting things like that's all I was ever doing in the first place.

18. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

I heard some job applicants are required to show thier FB account info these days. WTF.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

So, I had a few computers over the months and was taking some back. I thought Id go into fakebook,, since win8 has this big FB icon . I proceed to make my name. blah blah. Im new to this , so Im just allowing it to do its thing. It fills in all the places for me. Where I went to school and stuff. hell Im god damn aerospace engineer, grew up Georgia, Lives in Montana. Thanks, FB.. Auto finds people I know. Ok. haha ya I know them. I click on them to let them add, they continue forever. Gets email you been restricted from making friends for blah blah many days. ok .. whatever.. then Sulaimi Rab Al Mushrif reports my proifle pic of Yoda as suspicious. I write on his wall. In arabic "salami on rye all mushy".. he goes off on a tangent.. I lost track of what he was doing because it added all these girls, that just take their clothes off and take pictures of themselves. . Thanks Again FB..

20. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah, you go to join a mommy and toddler group or whatever and you have to have ppl look at your facebook page to see that you're not a crazy person. Just assuming you have a facebook page. It's rather annoying.