Seals in La Jolla, CA

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by ThePoetSappho, May 2, 2013.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In my neighborhood there is a beach area called "Children's Pool", and it's a favorite hangout, feeding, mating and birthing place of the local seals. However, Opponents of the seals want the beach for humans only. The thing is, we as humans have taken every other beach away from the seals. This is the one place they have left.... Opponents argue legally the beach belongs to the people, but just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right.
    There have been at least two cases of people caught yelling at, harassing, punching, kicking, stepping on, jumping on, and chasing the seals, even babies and their mothers.
    People chase the seals into the water and separate babies from their mothers, or worse people scare pregnant seals so bad they have miscarriages right there on the beach.
    Here's two teenage girls kicking pregnant mothers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YozcKIYaq7c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YozcKIYaq7c
    Here's a guy chasing them into the water and hitting them with flashlights.
    http://www.10news.com/news/new-video-shows-more-harbor-seal-harassment-at-la-jollas-childrens-pool

More information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Pool_Beach
    http://www.lajollafriendsoftheseals.org/

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Seals seriously have opponents?

Like, fuck seals, I hate those fucks, hope they all die.....

What the fuck? Are there actually private people who own the beach? If so, they should simply sit out there with a shotgun. Just pump it, those shits would never come back. If not, the people have no claim to "owning" the beach anyway.

3. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I'd rather not watch a video of people abusing animals but thanks for sharing.

Some people are sick

4. Driftwood Gypsy

The Mayor just closed the pool at night for pup birthing season, and of course people are OUTRAGED. How dare the seals inconvenience us on OUR beach?/sarcasm

5. Driftwood Gypsy

it's quite enraging. I live near here and I wish I could identity the people doing this.
    I feel so powerless, I want to raise awareness.
    Part of it is this is a mostly white, conservative, affluent rich neighborhood that is known historically for it's Antisemitism. I'm here for my job.

6. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

We should be allowed to hang people who do these kinds of things

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Maybe we could put pro-gun protests to some good. They could guard the seals.

Then again, rich people kick seals, poor people might shoot them.

Ehh, it might be entertaining, however it ended. It would be funny to watch the NRA try to prove themselves, by only shooting a FEW pups.

8. Driftwood Gypsy

I'd be cool with that. Now they have armed law enforcement there, because they've had to break up physical altercations between seal opponents and the people there with booths educated people about the seals.

9. Driftwood Gypsy

10. Driftwood Gypsy

11. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The seals know they are safe at the beach because they won't be shot at.

People in boats carry firearms and will shoot the seals off in remote places or offshore locales.

12. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

That beach is bombarded by tourists. And on top of that you say it's in "your neighborhood". YOU live in LJ?!

13. Driftwood Gypsy

There's actually been people trying to scare them off the beach by "flushing" them out. They figure if they scare them off, humans can take the beach again.

I moved there to be close to my job.