Sobriety thread.

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Fairlight, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I haven't had an alcoholic drink for 3 weeks.I like to avoid the word "alcoholic" because I think it has unnecessary connotations,but I have definitely been drinking too much for too long,and I just got to the point where I'd had enough of it.I was drinking in the daytime,which was getting very depressing.I was looking and feeling rough.Plus alcohol is expensive and I need to economise.I want to spend my money on other things.Now I drink 2 litres of water a day and 1 litre of orange juice.I feel so much better.I intend to quit alcohol for life.Sometimes I get a flash of "God I need a drink",But I just try and and sit with myself and let the feeling pass.So this thread is for anyone who feels they have issues with alcohol,for anyone who has quit,who wants to quit or just moderate.Thanx for reading.

Mousu likes this.
  2. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Good for you Fairlight. I quit drinking in February 1984. I never looked back and rarely think of it now.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I drank alot when I was young. I was of the mindset that you have to be somehow intoxicated to feel good and to have a good time. Also, I think I used it to help with some social anxiety. I gave it up when I got tired of the hangovers.

I may have an alcohol beverage once or twice a year now.

4. hipfofo

hipfofo Guest

Good and nice to hear that pal.

5. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Been sober from all drugs since april 16th now. Only two weeks. meh

6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Two weeks is a great start, ROllin.

7. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

One whole month alcohol free as of yesterday.The nightly pains in my heart have gone,which I though was from smoking cigarettes,but must have been from the alcohol.Next move is to quit cigarettes,but quitting both smoking and alcohol at once would drive me out of my nut...

8. weetbob

weetbob Guest

It's better for to stop also drinking if you don't want somebody calls you an alcoholic.

9. nicebutt

nicebutt Guest

I agree dude. If you don't want somebody calling you alcoholic quit drinking.

10. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

It'll be 6 weeks 2moro alcohol free for me.I really fancied a bottle of red 2nite.I have £5 in my wallet,just enough,and it's been the the most hard time resisting I've had so far.Not because I want to drown my sorrows but because I want to intensify my warm peace feeling.But I know that caving in would be a real let down,so,damn it,must be strong.

11. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

8 weeks here. I was tempted a couple times over something which I was expecting. I shut the thought off immediately. My personality is too extreme to use alcohol, because I always end up over doing it.

12. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

It has been 3 weeks for me. Well done Fair, I remember almost a year ago you saying you wanted to cut down/quit and its a great achievement being 6 weeks into it :)

I never drank frequently but I used alcohol for the entirely wrong reasons, to drown my sorrows and block out reality, it made me very depressed also.

13. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I just can't risk losing control anymore.I'm fine on 1 bottle of red,but occasionally I'll drink more than that and start to lose it with people.Not violently but the shitty side of my personality/self comes out and I just hate the remorse.

14. Marebare

Marebare Member

Oh so good for you Fairlight!! Keep up the good work!! I have been alcohol and drug free for over a year since March 1st 2012! It's been the best year of my life for so long now I can't say! Just take it one day at a time!! If you stick with it, it just keeps getting better and better!!

15. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Been sober from crystal meth for almost a year and half.

16. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'm just writing this to help myself as much as anything.I don't want to bring people down,but here goes.I started drinking again.When I posted a song called "Sacrifice,Let There be Peace",that was about resisting alcohol.The truth is that there is so much emotional pain and anguish in my life that sometimes the only thing that will help release the pressure is alcohol.I have also flirted with heroin before,but not doing that for a while and luckily haven't got hooked on it.But heroin is just so lovely when you are suffering mentally and emotionally.It's a good job I've been sensible with it and have moved away from friends who I would do it with.Alcohol though is so readily available.I'm not a chronic alcoholic,I don't really get "Drunk" as such very often because I have a strong constitution,I just drink to the point where I feel warm and alive.Any drinkers out there will know what I'm talking about.But I have been drinking everyday,and way above the recommend daily units.Drinking is also expensive.I will try not to have one today.I know none of you should really care and everyone has problems.I just wanted to be honest and express myself on this subject.

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I like your honesty and also care a little bit :p :)

18. mvmcd1950

mvmcd1950 mvmcd1950

hi fairlight.. there are many slips on the journey to getting sober.. good luck to you..

19. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to read this, but understand if you quit again right now, it will be easier, because you aren't as far down the rabbit hole as you were the first time.

20. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Thanks for your support guys...I'm going to try again.I went out and bought a bottle of coke and a lemon yesterday and a new tumbler glass as I only had a wine glass lol.