on the road (soon)

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Dalamar, Apr 7, 2013.

1. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Dalmar,

Glad you found a generator. They're handy. Five thousand should get you something nice. Personally, I'd hold back about fifteen hundred or 2K for unforeseen repairs on the van. Automatic transmissions seem to be problematic with all brands.

I've been without internet for a while- Virgin mobile doesn't seem to work in NC. The weather has been nice though. Good thing a vendor in AL was tossing out some "unsaleable" old jeans. Now I've got a few pairs of cutoffs for my new and expanded waistline. It's warm enough that I'm just about ready to head back north.

One of my favorite engines is the 300 cu/in straight six from Ford. If you change the oil now and again they last and last. The E-250's and 350's and seem to be geared lower so mileage suffers. I don't know if it was just the 2 vehicles I familiar with or a common thing. If you stay 55 mph and under you'll do OK. Radiators are a bit hard to find in junkyards though. There see to be more E series with the 6 in city junkyards than rural.

There are several eastern states with pull-a-part yards ( http://www.pullapart.com/ ). When I was looking for an E-350 radiator (LOL), I found that they sold van "high tops" for a hundred bucks. They have A frames that roll over a donor van so you can lift the tops off. A 4x8 utility trailer would be handy to take it home though. About the same time I saw a old Dodge with the slant 6 that looked to be set up for vending and living. It had the 24" high top. The 2' high top behind the side door was for the bed and the bottom was divided perfectly for table and banana boxes. Immediately behind the drivers seat was a small kitchen. It was tall enough for me to stand.

Take care. Ill be checking is as I can. I found a place to sit AND sell for $20 a week!

fleamarketvendor

2. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Wow $20.00 a week is an awesome price for a vending booth. I hope your stuff sells well. What kind of stuff do you sell?

The more I think about this and start getting things together the more doable it feels to me. Truth be told I don't really use my apartment for much anyway.

I may not get exactly 5 for it but it should sell somewhere in that area. Around here cars seem to sell for more than you think. A beater car will sell for quite a bit so long as it will at least pass inspection. Part of the fall out of cash for clunkers program. The opposite is true with vans. Even if you sell one that gets ok gas mileage its still hard to get a good price for it so I should be able to get a halfway decent one for around 2 or 3 possibly less if I go with a slightly older model. I am almost obsessive compulsive about getting my oil changes so no problem there.

The generator once I get it should be a big help.

3. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Right now I'm selling costume jewelry. I used to sell "junque" but it's too heavy for the camper.

I've just been doing some work to my camper- it died coming over the mountain from TN to NC a couple of times. I happened to pick the first 80+ degree of the year. It started right up after it cooled but I wanted to check things out.

You find the oddest things sometimes working on older stuff. I was going to replace the thermostat. It turns out that the guts were removed from the existing unit- weird. There are constant reports of "overheating" (and just dying for 30 minutes) so in trying to solve them I guess the previous owners tried various things. I left it there as it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

So I changed the fuel filter and I'll replace the rotor and distributor cap; all three needed replacement anyway.

The other odd thing is that it's a 1990 but has 1992 or later distributor- no external sensor. These are just some of the strange things you run into on older vehicles. The '91 and earlier Fords had a gray plastic external sensor on the distributor. They seem to have caused problems so I guess a previous owner had the whole deal changed over. Sometimes you need more than one manual to figure out what your looking at.

Those brand specific vehicle forums can be a big help with the strange problems. The only difficulty is that after folks get answers or suggestions, many don't come back and post what the actual problem and solution was. That's how a great deal of misinformation gets passed around forums. Often folks post an answer they've read somewhere else as if they actually used the solution successfully. It might turn out that the real answer is entirely different.

My problem coming over the mountain might turn out to be fuel pump related. Many "dying" issues blamed on that external sensor and other issues (like the coil) were caused by the poorly designed in tank fuel pump. The new fuel filter MIGHT have been all that was needed. But now I KNOW the thermostat is OK, the radiator not sludged up, and the coolant was clean.

These are just my problems given as examples of the kind of stuff that happens. Chevy and Dodge have their own issues. All things considered, I'd have bought a Dodge based motor home if I'd found one in similar condition. I wish you luck. Its not really difficult, just a bit scary at first. Be careful and go ahead.

fleamarketvendor

4. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Sorry to hear about your camper. I hope you get it back running soon. Any chance it is something simple like a fan belt or the fan its self. That happened on my second car. It keep over heating. After changing all the usual suspects and flushing the coolant we found out that the fan just wasn't working right. Funny thing was there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it. It was very weird. I swore that car was haunted lol.

But one thing that is certain to happen on the road is that a vehicle will break down. That's why I don't want to spend all my cash on a van. I want to have some cushion just in case. Not to mention some cash to start converting it.

The concept is both exciting and scary at the same time. Geez the last time I was even on a road trip was too long. I have barely left my apartment for the better part of a year. This could turn out to be the best thing I ever did.

5. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I checked out an 02 Dodge with v6 3.9 with only 92,321 miles on it. It seemed to drive great but going to have a mechanic check it out to be sure. It's a very nice van and he isn't asking much for it at all. Seems almost to good to be true.

On the way home I also saw a 95 Chevy van with 164,000 on the side of the road. Was not anywhere near as nice as the other van basicly just a cargo van. From what I understand 160,000 miles is not too bad for a van.

I was wondering if I should head south first and find something down that way. Anything from the NE will likely be rusted out especially older vans. Maybe ill even be able to find something cheaper down that way.

Do people really get bugged by cops? Reading a lot of horror stories and I am sure most of them are BS but some might be true experiences. I know what legal rights a person has and how to exercise ones rights but sometimes it isn't always in your best interest to do so. Sometimes I am sure its smarter (less aggravating anyway) to just move someplace else.

6. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

glad to see your moving along. Best of luck

7. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Dalamar,

A hundred and sixty some thousand is a lot of miles for anything. For what it's worth, usually vehicles that were part of a "fleet" have had better maintenance. I don't think the Dodges that new have a real frame. They're going to be lighter with better mileage but not as sturdy. This is where I'd be looking at the brand specific forums. If a problem is common it will be there. With the VIN you an usually find a lot about the vehicle.

My problems might be something simple. I did discover I have 2 serpentine belts. I didn't notice- the guy running the market saw it. I might still pick up a coil. That's the last commonly heat sensitive component. I kind of think it was the fuel filter but only time will tell.

Cargo vans are what I've always bought. I add what I need. Some folks like conversion vans- I don't need the extra seats and figure the fewer windows the better. Frankly, you don't need much to live. You need a bed of some sort, some storage, and a way to block the rear from the front. A blue tarp isn't pretty but I used it with my E-350 cargo van. Anything else you'll figure out as you go along.

Southern vehicle bodies are usually in better condition, but often cost a little more. If you buy a vehicle somewhere else you'll need an address to use for the title. Vehicle inspections are always a headache. Some inspection stations are honest- some??? Older vehicles are always going to have a hard time unless you know somebody. Some years ago in Rhode Island most contractors all used the same few stations. A inspection "sticker" was $150 with no questions asked- no silly inspection either! After a few weeks in Louisiana I found out about a few garages like that down there.

Some, usually younger, folks have trouble with the police. I've had help a few times but I've yet to have a problem. Occasionally a few questions though. Exercising your "rights", unless you're a lawyer, is a losing proposition. I am in an RV and I do tend to ask touristy questions when speaking with law enforcement officers. I answer their questions briefly and then go back to my own agenda. I should mention I look old enough to be on Social Security. Try not to volunteer information beyond their questions; it makes you look guilty.

A conversation might go: "Why is there reflextics (sp) on your back windows?" "Oh? I didn't leave Ohio until the end of November. The condensation was so bad back there I thought the windows were leaking. Do you know if there's cheap place to buy propane around? Maybe a Tractor Supply store?" Free dump stations, free camping and good buffet style restaurants are other questions of mine. I ALWAYS thank those good folks profusely so they're not pissed when the next guy goes through.

I call this the Jehovah's Witness method. The Amish are never bothered by the Jehovah's Witness folks because they out because the Amish out talk them. Tourists ALWAYS have questions. I even approach Law Enforcement Officers in Walmart parking lots. They have the information I need.

fleamarketvendor

8. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Well things were delayed due to illness but I am leaving NY in 3 days.

Unfortunately I never did get my van so I am going by car for now. I do hope to get a van at some point but for now I will be using my tent and camping gear.

Right now I am not sure which way I am going to go. I am thinking of heading south and maybe camping in Florida for a bit.

9. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Dalmar,

Sorry to hear about your illness but it's great you're able to get started! Vans are cheaper and have less rust in the south anyway.

Here are a few links I was sent last year when I was headed into Florida. I was only there for a few days so I have no experience with these sites or camping areas.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/camping.php

http://floridaswater.com/recreationguide/activities.html

http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/po...or_oper=or&p_id=13,11,14,&p_submit=Find+Sites

It's 51 degrees in northern Ohio right now. I wish I was able to start south now.

fleamarketvendor

10. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Thank you and thats exactly what I was thinking too. I found a few vans on Craigslist in Florida that looked great and were cheap. I was thinking of selling my car here ( where I can get more for it) then take a train or bus south and buy something when I get there. That would entail traveling very very light and dont really want to leave any more of my stuff behind.

I'll definitely look at those web sites. Thanks again for information. Another reason I thought of heading south is the year around camping down that way. There are a few spots I could pitch a tent up this way and no one would know I was there but that has risks. More likely than not police would just ask me to move on. Then again if a cop is having a bad day then they can cause me problems.

How did you like Florida? I know besides the weather things are cheaper there then they are in NY. There are things to do etc.. I don't plan to stay there forever as there are a lot of things I want to see.

Wow you really get around. Now all the way up in Chicago. Glad you are enjoying your travels even though its a bit cold where you are now. Safe journeys.

11. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

Dalamar,
    first off let me apologize ahead - I did not read the whole thread
    Many have done a survival trip on their own
    Often people choose to put their survival trip together in a car (that you can sleep in !) or a van
    Mileage becomes important
    inverters run of your vehicle battery (nice to have 2 so that if 1 gets depleted you still have a full one to start the vehicle)
    internet allows online banking and phoning using skype
    while I have used a virgin air card (there are several method technologies) - I find walmarts $45 unlimited phone,text,web is best for me and can cost less than virgin and you have phone service; and the availability of service is better than virgin.
    If you have a trusted place (secure) to stay or store, it's nice to get a small motor bike (scooter , moped,motorcycle) to make more use of money (mileage/mpg) and do running around on the cheap and use the home base (vehicle/bigger gas eater) for changing places of residence (most vans can carry a small bike but the home/vehicle must be kept secure somehow)
    I try to stay in national forests and find especially with no fire building and keeping my stays to under 2 weeks in 1 location to be effectually trouble free
    So much becomes dependent on ones state of mind. A positive perspective is a must. Best way I know toward that end is to be reverentially thankful for what you have been given.
    Change is part of the experience, flexibility and adaptability must be cultivated
    Remember we can learn and grow from everything
    good luck

blessings are often the lessons learned

Namaste

12. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

You know I never thought of a motor bike or scooter as I was thinking so much about finding the right van. Funny thing is I was ( just an hour ago ) thinking about what I would do if this thing in the middle east goes wacky and we see a further spike in oil prices. While vans offer a lot of advantages they are not cheap to fill with gas. There must be a way to carry a scooter. Great suggestion.

Thanks for the tips on the inverted as well. I have seen the Walmart phones and I was wondering how good their coverage is. I have a good phone that has internet but the provider sux. Getting a new phone with a better provider might be one of the first things I have to do. Right now I access the internet via my home WiFi which ends tomorrow.

Thank you for your positive words which means a lot to me. I have talked to a lot of people who are doing the same thing and doing well. I know it is not the end of everything. I am trying to make things a positive change. I am already seeing a change in my thinking. For example, I used to be kind of a pack rat. I threw out nothing because "you never know what will come in handy one day". I have to limit myself to what I need or find a way to meet a need with less stuff.

I dont need dvd and tapes to watch movies. Just about everything I watch is available online and most times free. The big thing was all my books. But that too is available online. So I just need a reliable internet connection and a good laptop, phone or tablet. I am honestly leaning to a tablet as that would be a lot cheaper and faster to charge up. And takes up little space.

Also getting excited about seeing places I always wanted to see and do but never had the time.

13. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Dalmar,

Wasn't me in Chicago but I am enjoying Ohio. I've never spent much time in Florida but the Pensacola area was nice. The folks were friendly but most prices weren't much lower than Ohio. You have to love a Walmart with palm trees in the parking lot. I could have stayed behind a motel with a place to plug in for $50 a week. It was only about 2 miles from a big flea market but prices at that market were too low to even make expenses.

Old Wolfs suggestion about a motor bike is good but his caveat about a safe place to park is very important. You don't want your primary vehicle trashed or towed. I have a regular bicycle but don't ride as much as I'd like for that reason. Moped laws vary a lot by state. I've been looking for one of the 60's ish Honda Trail 70's. I used to be able to pick those up to load them! :)

I use the Virgin Mobile Broadband ($20 for 1 Gigabyte/month) and Straight Talk ($30 for 1000 minutes) for cell phone; both are Walmart "special" plans. The broadband coverage is usually good near the interstates. Straight Talk phones are either ATT OR Verizon. They don't "roam" to other carriers. I've no idea about smart phone coverage from either company. I also keep an old TracPhone that will roam for emergencies. It runs $20 every 3 months for 60 minutes.

Anyway, good luck. If I can do this anybody can!

fleamarketvendor

14. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Sorry about that I ment to say Ohio ( I saw it under your advatar). Dam auto spell checker. My bad.

Yea the track phones are great. I have one as a back up and its amazing how a 12 dollar phone works everywhere and my expensive smart phone is doggy at best.

I agree, I wouldn't want to leave a primary transportation unsecured at all. If people know you are living or camping in it then they will think you might have something worth taking. Have to be more aware of security and safety on the road.

I actually have the same worries about sleeping in a tent. I would have to leave the car parked someplace and walk to a hidden spot. Obviously this is only when I am not staying at a camp ground. Thing is some camp grounds are almost as expensive as a night in a hotel.

Does anyone know if there are good rest stops heading south from NY? Don't know if I could get much sleep at one but I will see.

While there are things to look forward to I am still a little scared about things. It's a long trip to take on my own.

15. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Well today I didn't make it very far. Just needed a break from driving. There aren't to many places to park or camp here so staying in a motel today. Wifi yea... Since I just have a car and a tent a lap top didn't make much sense so still using my cell (T-Mobile) to access the internet. The service coverage on this thing really sux unless i have access to WiFi.

Sleeping in a car is a pain especially with my back. But I am making the best of it. This would be 100% doable with a van. Perhaps ill find someone to do a straight trade with. I try to post to Craigslist list but that dam voice authentication thing is a pain. Don't know why it makes me do that when I have not posted much to CL. And this is not a pre paid phone it on contract but says it is not a valid number. Spamers spoil things for everyone.

Anyway like I was saying this isn't that bad. I always wanted to break out of things and lead a more free life and now I finally am. I already feel less depressed and less trapped.

I am having second thoughts about Florida though. The heat and humidity in a car and tent might be a bit too much. So I don't know where I will ultimately end up. If anyone has good ideas of good places to go I would love to hear suggestions.

16. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Dalmar,

I think you're coming down the I-95 corridor and I haven't been there in at least 15 years.

If you want to stay a bit cooler the mountains around Murphy, NC are nice. The high about now is usually in the 70's or low 80's with lows in the 60's. The lows don't drop to the low 40's until the middle of October. By that time Florida is a better. Murphy IS quite a way off your route. I really like the area and probably wouldn't have left in the spring if my mother wasn't still living in Ohio.

There is an office that administers the National Forrest right in Murphy. They have maps and information. The local Walmart did NOT allow overnight parking by RV's last year (insurance reasons they said). I don't know how strictly it is/was enforced. You might slide by with a car or van for a night.

There might well be some National Parks or Forests a lot closer to your route. I was in the Pisgah National Forest a very long time ago and it was really nice. It's north of I-40 in NC and is about 125 miles, straight line distance, east of Murphy. It would be 250 miles so from I-95. They should have a website with camping details.

Make very sure somebody knows where you are AND who you might be with! Include their license plate and cell phone numbers! And that is every day and every contact- particularly if they're well known on the internet. The closest I came to getting in "trouble" was a couple of years ago just a little west across the TN line from Murphy. If I'd "turned up missing" folks would have been looking in Alabama for an acquaintance called Miss Kim! LOL!

fleamarketvendor

17. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Thanks for your thoughts fleamarketvendor it is always appreciated. You give good advice. I have been keeping a very low profile. I haven't had a chance to socialize with people much anyway. Too much time traveling and exhausted by the time I stop for the night. Once get to stop for a bit I will be able to be more social.

My back and neck injury is one of my biggest challenges on this journey. Yesterday pain was unbearable and had to stop for the day. Sadly there is just no easy answer for that. There are times when I am just going to have to take it easy. Getting a van is a top priority as that will make things a lot more comfortable.

I hoped that my cell phone would work better outside of ny but nope. My internet is spotty at best. It's frustrating just to post here let alone stream movies and tv unless I have access to WiFi.

In spite of the few difficulties so far I am glad I went this route and didn't let my physical problems stop me from doing things. For the first time in a while I feel free. I feel like I am heading to something even though I have no clue where I will ultimately end up.

18. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Well now I am regretting my decision to pass on a minni van a while back. Being in unfamiliar territory I am having trouble finding a good place to pitch a tent. The result being that I have been sleeping in my car most of the time which none to good for my back and neck. A minni van would have allowed me to stretch out a bit. I wanted a full van to convert and figured buying a minni van would set me further behind my goal.

Maybe I should have stayed close to home as I know places there where I could have set up camp and no one would be the wiser.

The good news that I want to share with people who aren't sure if they can go through with something like this is that you can. This is not bad but if I had it to do over I would get a van first.

Anyway, I am heeded back to NY to do just that. It's kind of a pain to buy a car out of state. It can be done but it will be a lot easier to just go back to sell the car and get a van. It's what I should have done in the first place.

19. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

Dalmar,

I was without internet for about 10 days so I just read your post.

You were on the road for a couple of weeks and learned some things. That's success. And remember, now you've got 2 weeks more experience than many of the people giving advice on most forums and groups.

I went through 3 vans and did a lot of 3-10 days out and a few days "home" before I got the Class C. I still stop and look when I see an extended cargo van with a 18-24" high top installed.

My first choice in vans was always a full size cargo van bought new by a company large enough to do the maintenance. After that they usually changed hands a few times before I got them but most of the problem areas were fixed.

You'll find what suits you- that's what is important. Keep posting. Give folks an idea of your decision making process.

fleamarketvendor

20. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Yea finding reliable internet acess on the road is a bit hard. Right now I am just using my phone to get online. Sorry to hear Your internet access was out. Sadly I don't think there is anything that will work 100 % of the time on the road.

The more I look around I also agree with the cargo van idea over something like the conversion van. The cargo vans may not be as nice the other vans but you have more privacy and stealth with a cargo van IMHO. Also helps that a cargo van is basically a clean slate to build your living space.