University anyone?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by NatureDude, Apr 2, 2013.

1. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

I must admit that I like my time at uni but this is how I feel about uni right now, on the one hand its great to be learning about stuff that interest me but at another level I've been feeling that I'm spending more time getting stuff done (assignments ect) and less time learning stuff WTF. I thought uni was about persuing knowledge but it seems more about meeting deadlines and worrying about assessment. Anyone else feel this way?

2. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

3. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

Well that's just how the school system works, and you need the passing grades to get your degree. If your subjects interest you and you enjoy learning about them then continue doing the assignments but do more research on your own time. You'll get a deeper understanding by looking things up yourself and in a way self teaching yourself more specific things. I, too, noticed how easy university seems to be. It more or less tries to help you grasp the concept of the subject, and doesn't really delve into the nitty gritty. That you have to do yourself.

4. tubahead

tubahead Member

This is a very common feeling. I am a Ph.D candidate in philosophy and part of that always includes being a TA. Usually it is for an introductory class. Students typically come in thinking that they are going to learn the secrets of the universe and of human existence. Unfortunately, you have to wade through lots of minutia to get to the answers and most times, when you get to an answer, it isn't what they wanted to hear. Learning is tough stuff especially at a higher level. At that level, it becomes a job and from having worked in the "straight" world for awhile, I can tell you that there are constant deadlines and you are constantly being evaluated.

Changing majors might help, but then again, I have known several people who just wander about university going from major to major, because they never want to delve deeply into a subject. It is a good feeling have epiphany after epiphany in an introductory class, but then the hard work begins.

I kind of feel bad for some of my students. I come in with a big beard in my tie dye and they probably think I am going to be talking about some feel good hippie love philosophy and that I will grade super easy. Then I start talking about necessary and sufficient conditions, compatabilism, and Cartesian Dualism. Then they get their first papers back. I am actually fairly conservative when it comes to teaching. You have to get papers in on time, I grade on a curve, so your raw scores are not going to look very good, and we never have class outside; it is just too distracting.