Astrud Gilberto performing "night and day"

Discussion in 'Jazz' started by ezm8, Mar 15, 2013.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I swear that I heard her sing this on an album, the same one on which she did "girl from ipanema" with stan getz

can't find this anywhere on youtube though.

can anyone find/ confirm this?

I think that this is a description of the album

--------
    Getz/Gilberto is a jazz bossa nova album released in 1964 by the American saxophonist Stan Getz and Brazilian guitarist João Gilberto, and featuring composer and pianist Antonio Carlos Jobim. Its release created a bossa nova craze in the United States and internationally. It brought together Stan Getz, who had already performed the genre on his LP Jazz Samba, João Gilberto (one of the creators of the style), and Jobim, a celebrated Brazilian composer (and also one of the main creators of the genre), who wrote most of the songs in the album. It became one of the best-selling jazz albums of all time, and turned Astrud Gilberto, who sang on the tracks "The Girl from Ipanema" and "Corcovado", into an internationally celebrated musician.

2. JonathanC

JonathanC Member HipForums Supporter

Heh, I was just thinking about Astrud Gilberto and looking at an old picture of hers, and then your post shows up. Anyway, Night and Day is not on the track list of Getz/Gilberto. It was apparently sung by Bebel Gilberto, a daughter of João Gilberto and a woman who João got involved with after he and Astrud split up in the 1960's. This is from a minute of web searching as I didn't know the story before. But, there are several versions of the song on youtube, sung by Bebel and by others.

3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I heard Bebel's version, which is ok, but not the one I'm looking for.

Getz also does an instrumental version with Bill Evans

I know I'm not dreaming, the song I'm thinking of has got to be out there somewhere