Hitchhiking

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by Doobieismyname, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

So i wanted to get a hitchhiking thread going to share stories, advice, and cool places to hitch through.

Sometimes when i have trouble manifesting a ride, i give up on the idea altogether and begin meditating right then and there on the side of the hwy. I have gotten a ride so fast doing that. A lot of times i dont even fly a sign

Who else lives for sticking that thumb out and letting the universe guide them to where they need to be?

1 person likes this.
  2. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

You guys are no fun, i feel like this website it dead at least to travelers

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

I envy you man. I wish I was brave enough to hit the road....

4. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

Dont wish for it, do it! Make it your reality. I love life on the road. Never enjoyed anything like travelling

5. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Where do you sleep? How do you eat? What kinda gear you carry? Just curious. If Im going to embark on this adventure itll be good for me to have some knowhow from a seasoned traveler. Any advice ect ect

6. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

First off i travel as light as possible, so ive got my frame pack with like 2 pairs of pants, 4 shirts which is to much but im hEading north, couple boxers, couples pairs of socks, one book, one small blanket, one sleeping bag, hamock i never use, can size wood burning stove i rarely have to use, and an atlas.
    All weighing roughly 30 lbs, then i carry between 0 to sometimes 20lbs of dog food. Whatever i can get my hands on. I dont carry food save for peanut butter. Its all you need in between meals. I dumpster as often as possible/needed and literally just got food stamps which help alot. If your homeless and habe no sourse of income you can get them easy.
    I often sleep outside in or near a wooded area/bush/shelter. Whatever keeps you out of site of cops so you dont get camping or tresspassing charges. If it rains, sometimes im fucked haha but i meet so many cool people that buy me food or give me rides orsometime even put me up for a few days.

Rainbow is a good way to meet really cool people. Some live on the trail and can teach you a thing or two

7. 3407LOVE

3407LOVE Member

travel advise:
    pack a toothbrush
    and wear a smile
    all the rest is excess baggage

cliche by 3407

8. infantdressingtable

infantdressingtable Member

Dude got so many stories and I only traveled for one summer. Like there was literally an adventure every day, new places, new people, something always going on.

Ill post some soon, cause I'm just too lazy right now though :p sue me, just kidding, please dont :)

9. Rebimond

Rebimond Member

Oh yeah meditation, makes people trust you
    Hitchhiking is kinda dangerous when you're a girl, I wouldn't go with guys. But you meet the most amazing people while doing it. One time I met a woman, she was in her 40s and she looked very natural and friendly, I jumped in and she took me with her for 5 hours and we had amazing talks about our beliefs, our dreams and about what we were going through, we shared our happiness about life together, was like I was talking to a forest, that lady was pretty amazing

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Doobie you might have inspired me. I think I could do that. I'm so miserable where I am. I really have nothing to hold me back other than fear of the unknown. And I wouldn't have to worry about money anyway....I got a military disability so guaranteed 900 a month till I die.
    Buried with debt, no family, no job, fuck....why am I not traveling?

11. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

Haha idk about that but i have a friend ried who literally packs like that. The tiniest backpack ever. It almost looks like a purse. ill cut some weight enventually. Im realatively new to travelling though, been on and off for almost 3 years. The trip to palenque is what really changed my life, mexico was crazy..

12. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

Well you came to the right thread. Share those stories! I got a few of my own ill share

13. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

Often times i wont thumb or even fly a sign, ill just sit down in the lotus position and meditate till someone pulls over. Have you ever tried hitchhiking with a male partner? I have a lot of female friends who travel like me but with a guy for saftey or whatever. Bottom line is, if your gonna die then your gonna die. One way or another, after all you wrote the pages to your own story, dont hide from death. Embrace it when your time comes! Haha

14. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I hitchhiked throughout Tibet once. Other than that I am not a big fan of hitchhiking.

15. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

I hitchhike everywhere! Either that or busk up enough for a bus ticket

16. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Doobie how long do you plan on being on the road? Or is this a permanent lifestyle choice?

17. infantdressingtable

infantdressingtable Member

I'll share my a few experiences I had on the road from June '11 to October '11. Many great times, some life changing moments and a couple days a lil rough. But absolutely a great experience, but I did my thing, and I have no regrets, so neither should you guys.

A quick list of what I've done:

-Seen Furthur an entire weekend in Eugene, OR
    -Traveled up and down the west coast
    -Met many great people, and a few not so much, both shaped my world
    -Snagged a garbage bag full o' weed :D
    -Almost got arrested (thought I was done!) (but nope ^.^)
    -Seen Thievery Corporation which was my first time
    -Had one of the best traveling companions anyone could ever ask for! ("Because you FUCKED ME!")
    -Read On the Road, while on the road
    -Spent a night in a California National Park, where there were too many stars to count
    -Escaped a car accident, but walked away with just a scratch
    -Been to the redwood forest in Arcata, which was mind blowing
    -Some old guy gave me a vintage 80's camera, but lost it :/
    -Saw the ups and downs of life on the road

I'll list more things when I think of 'em :)

18. walkingmann79

walkingmann79 Guest

I'm a hitchhiker the name is walkingmann in ga now looking 4 a road dog u down. i want to get to the rainbow gathering but don't know where they r

19. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

I'm in the west coast right now, northern Cali to be specific but there is a gathering going on in mount Shasta right now

20. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

wtf doobie you went all the way to norcal?? i wondered where you went. hey i was there before too, it is a crazy place. if you go to mendocino county check out mendo village, fort bragg sucks though i didnt like it.
    me, i dont think i could hitch like you, i took the bus out there. when i was in norcal though i hitched all the time to get where i needed to go, but it usually wasnt too far of a ride ya know.
    one day maybe ill make it out there, but who knows. anywayz dude you know where im at lol, still doin' the same old thing. im getting pretty famous here too dude