Church Operations Business

Discussion in 'Church of the Good Earth' started by Scorpio Kenny, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Scorpio Kenny

Scorpio Kenny Church of the Good Earth - ArchBishop

ARTICLE III: OFFICERS

Section 1: EXECUTIVE BOARD
    The Executive Board shall consist of the following officers: President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Communications Secretary, and Treasurer. If ever there is a shortage of interested persons then one person may cover more that one position, thereby taking care of all of the responsibilities and all of the positions.

Section 2: TERM OF OFFICE
    The term of office for all officers is 4 years, beginning January 1 and ending on December 31.

Section 3: QUALIFICATIONS
    Any Operational Member in good standing may become an officer of the Executive Board of the Church of the Good Earth organization.

Section 4: DUTIES
    Executive Board: Develop the Church of the Good Earth’s annual budget, if any, establish and oversee committees to conduct the work of the Church of the Good Earth, establish fundraising programs, if any, and approve by majority vote of the Board any unbudgeted expenditures. Those expenditures that are not approved of as a regular month after month expense or recurring bill.

President: Preside at general organization meetings and Executive Board meetings, serve as the official representative of the organization, and retain all official records of the organization.

Vice President: Oversee the committee system of the Church of the Good Earth, assist the President, and chair meetings in the absence of the President.

Recording Secretary: Record and distribute minutes of all Executive Board meetings and all general Church of the Good Earth meetings, prepare agendas for official Church of the Good Earth meetings, and hold historical records for the Church of the Good Earth.

Communications Secretary: Manage communications and marketing for the Church of the Good Earth, including but not limited to Church of the Good Earth newsletters, email broadcasts, website, bulletin boards, etc.

Treasurer: Serve as custodian of the Church of the Good Earth’s finances, collect revenue, if any, pay authorized expenses, if any, follow all financial policies of the Church of the Good Earth, and hold all financial records.

Executive Directors: There may be additional General Board Members added in order to increase the size of the Executive Board, for voting purposes and for other purposes, at the discretion of the Executive Board, by vote. These, if without a specific title, shall be know as Executive Directors.

Section 5: BOARD MEETINGS
    The Executive Board shall meet monthly during the year, or at the discretion of the President.

Section 6: REMOVAL
    An officer can be removed from office for failure to fulfill his/her duties, including for absenteeism from meetings or from participation, after reasonable notice, by a majority vote of the Executive Board.

Section 7: VACANCY
    If a vacancy occurs on the Executive Board, the President shall appoint a Church of the Good Earth operational member to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the officer’s term.

2. Scorpio Kenny

I changed a few things from the original sample.

It lists 5 officers. I add "Executive Directors" just to open the possibility of including more.

Please note that:
    Minimum requirements for many states are 3. President, Secretary, and Treasurer. My state requires 1 but all of those duties must be covered. We can even add more titles.

Cakes has different titles that can be put in here instead.

Anything here can be changed. TERM OF OFFICE should be looked at. DUTIES change or even add some more. BOARD MEETINGS sounds good, but you decide.

3. Scorpio Kenny

We're halfway through!

4. Scorpio Kenny

ARTICLE IV: MEETINGS

Section 1: GENERAL CHURCH OF THE GOOD EARTH MEETINGS
    General Church of the Good Earth meetings shall be held to conduct the business of the Church of the Good Earth. Meetings shall be held monthly during the year or at the discretion of the Executive Board.

Section 2: VOTING
    Each Operational Member actively participating in a Church of the Good Earth meeting is eligible to vote, one vote per Operational Member. Executive Board members are, by definition, Operational Members. Proxy votes are not allowed.

Section 3: METHOD OF MEETING
    Any communications method may be used for the purpose of having a meeting or meetings, electronic, Internet, mail, e-mail or other.

5. Scorpio Kenny

I think that we should just erase Section 3: Quorum, because we have no real idea of how many folk will or won't show up for a meeting. If we get together and incorporate, and a year from now everyone leaves except for Nailcakes, then no vote can ever take place again. It's been that way in the past. It may happen again.

It originally said (7), I changed it to (2). I think that it should be dropped because on a regular basis around here, its hard to fine 3 people.

Section 1 should be changed to Quarterly or every 3 months. We're not talking Board of director's meeting here. We're talking ALL. The big meetings.

6. Scorpio Kenny

This next part is pretty straightforward. Financial.
    We all know how to count money. LOL

Read and change whatever.

7. Scorpio Kenny

ARTICLE V: FINANCIAL POLICIES

Section 1: FISCAL YEAR
    The fiscal year of the Church of the Good Earth begins January 1 and ends December 31 of each year.

Section 2: BANKING
    All funds shall be kept in a checking account in the name of Church of the Good Earth, requiring one (1) signature(s) of the Executive Board and held at a conveniently located financial institution.

Section 3: REPORTING
    All financial activity shall be recorded in a computer-based or manual accounting system. The Treasurer shall reconcile the account(s) monthly and report all financial activity monthly. Records will be public to the Operational Membership. The Church of the Good Earth may arrange an independent review of its financial records each year.

Section 4: ENDING BALANCE
    The organization shall ideally leave a minimum of $2,000 in the treasury at the end of each fiscal year for the next year’s expenses, if that amount of money exists.

Section 5: CONTRACTS
    Authority to sign contracts is limited to the President or the
    President’s designee.

8. Scorpio Kenny

Read and change whatever.

Think about it.

9. Scorpio Kenny

We're almost done!

10. Scorpio Kenny

ARTICLE VI: BYLAWS AMENDMENTS
    Amendments to the bylaws may be proposed by any Church of the Good Earth Operational Member. Amendments presented at a Church of the Good Earth meeting shall be considered for voting at a subsequent meeting. Two-thirds (2/3) approval of all Operational Member participating in the meeting and voting is required to adopt an amendment to the bylaws.

11. Scorpio Kenny

Pretty straightforward.
    so
    Debate.
    Change.
    Vote.

12. Scorpio Kenny

ARTICLE VII: SEVERABILITY
    If any part or portion of any Article, Section, or Amendment is found to be an Illegal action for the operation of the organization to use in its proceedings or that would be found to be contrary to the nonprofit status of the organization, then that part or portion shall be stricken from the amended bylaws Section and be held as severed, and the remainder of that Section shall stand alone, and in force.

ARTICLE VIII: PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
    The authority for this organization shall be Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised, if we have a copy, or by consensus, or by the traditional Native American “Talking Stick” method. Whatever the meeting participants choose.

ARTICLE IX: INDEMNITY
    Under no circumstance may, will, or shall any of the officers of the Executive Board or any members be held financially libel or otherwise libel for any actions, aggregations, or polices which are or are not of the organization, Church of the Good Earth.

ARTICLE X: DISSOLUTION
    In the event of the dissolution of the Church of the Good Earth as an incorporated entity, any funds remaining must be donated to another 501(c)(3) nonprofit or to a nonprofit Church or Philosophical group, and this is also Federal Tax Law.

These bylaws were adopted on MonthName D, YYYY.

13. Scorpio Kenny

Pretty straightforward stuff, here.

Change it. Add more stuff. Anything.

14. Scorpio Kenny

A list of the officers is required. With addresses.

Votes on everything.

Everybody's signature might help.

Nailcakes will look up what that state wants and she'll fill us all in.

15. beachdog67

beachdog67 Member

Yeah, well OK. I've probably got enough ear power left to do the monitor mix, or FOH in a pinch.
    But I sure as hell ain't gonna be bulling any road cases around for the load out at this point. Sorry, but the old back's too far gone for that.
    Oh, and I seem to be constitutionally incapable of interfacing with HipForums on a consistent basis, so if anybody REALLY needs to get in touch with me they should either fire off a Facebook message or email me at beachdog67@gmail.com

Cheers,

Ace (aka "Bells")

16. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

hEY aCE,
    gOOD TO SEE YA MAN.. GOT sTEVEN ON THE PHONE, HE SAYS HOWDY

17. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

18. Scorpio Kenny

Cakes,

Is Steve still going to show up over here by Monday night? I hope I hope. He will help get this all kick started. Can't wait.

Ace dropped by. That's bitchen. I wish he could hang. He's one of my fav folk.

Speaking of fav folk. Where's Mike?

19. mike bedell

mike bedell Member

Hi Kenney, Im here. Im reading slow because I dont have the legal mind set
    where this all makes sence to me at first reading and I know how important it is to understand what is going on. Have no fear, I will catch up. love m.b.
    Ranger, while Im here, please call me about a REEL deal thanks m.b.

20. Scorpio Kenny

Hi Mike! Love you, Man. Missed ya.

Yeah, with the Bylaws part, I broke it up into segments so the everyone could focus on one segment only, at a time. I hope that that helps you see it in an easier light. Don't kill yourself trying to get it all at once. Okay?

Don't get overwhelmed.
    Get just one Article and read and understand one sentence at a time in each Section. Then take a rest.

Believe me, this all hurt my brain. I don't want it to hurt anyone else's brain.

How are ya doing thins morning???