Am I a Jew?

Discussion in 'Judaism' started by masada, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Victoria1987

Victoria1987 Member

My understanding of it is that if your mother's mother's mother (etcetera) was Jewish, that you are considered Jewish as well. I'm the direct female descendent of Polish Jews, and my great-great grandmother converted to Anglicanism sometime around 1900 when she married an Englishman, and I haven't had any followers of the Jewish faith in my family since with the exception of my brother-in-law, who is non practicing. But because I'm the direct female descendent of a Jew, I'm Jewish as well. Even though I don't believe in a God of any kind, enjoy eating pork and shrimp, I'm very much against the idea of infant circumcision and know next to nothing about the Jewish religion or culture.

It's sort of funny, really.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Again, with a century of Xtian practice, you'd have to go before a beit din.

3. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

I will post something for you in the next day on the subject, some links.

For sure you feel something and there is something driving you.

4. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Some good points here.
    Yes Jewish people can be sticklers for detail but there is also great acceptance.

"Judaism is a religion of law, and you would have to plead your case to a beit dinn."
    As you say a religion of law and it is important you have a real reason because the Jewish way is not something taken lightly.

5. JKHolman

JKHolman Member

Are you Jewish, Masada? I say yes, albeit in a diluted state. In other words, the Jewry in your line could end with you, especially if you marry a non-Jew. Your interest in your situation shows some sense of direction. In your case, I would say you would have to actively practice Judaism to reassert your Jewish identification. That last word is key for you.
    When I say practice the religion, it does not matter whether you believe or not. This is about obedience, not belief. Before any of you non-Jews disagree, this is something outside of your thinking pattern. Stay out.
    (Remember, this a Jewish forum).

good luck, brother

- JKHolman

6. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Edward G. Robinson was a Jew. That's why he beat you in the card game.

7. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Was Groucho Marx a Jew?

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Newborns become whatever they are told they are to "be". Blank slates,as it were. Choose what you feel is best for you now. Want to be a Jew? Be one. Conversely, if you don't, then don't.

9. JKHolman

JKHolman Member

Yes.