Vegetable Gardening - where to start?!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by wiccan_witch, Dec 8, 2012.

1. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Sounds like it is time to make some rabbit stew. You gotta get your veggies back one way or the other.

2. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

I have found that the most idiot proof thing to grow is tomatoes. I have almost always had luck with them. I get lots of nice fresh tomatoes that are so much better than the ones in the supermarkets. Some years I have had so many that I end up giving them away to friends and co-workers. The only problems I have had were a groundhog one year and tomato worms which only are a problem every few years.
    I have usually also done well with potatoes and carrots.

3. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Two of the easiest things to grow are cherry tomatoes and zucchini squash.
    btw; along with a shovel get a garden fork.

4. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Nematodes tend to build up if you plant tomatoes in the same spot every year. Not to mention the trace elements they remove from your soil. Plant tomatoes every year, but move them around the yard.
    Squash borers...
    I have heard that aluminum foil will keep them from chewing into the stem. But I wonder if there might be something better. Would some sort of noxious paste smeared all over the stem do the job?

5. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

One of the things I love about "Terra Preta", it's flammable once dried and replaceable. :D
    http://www.biochar-international.org/bocashi

Buckwheat doesn't seem too picky, good for salad or steamed greens & a high protein, gluten free grain.