Am i in a cult?

Discussion in 'Cults' started by Buddy of the island, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Buddy of the island

Buddy of the island Member

I have a loosely defined relgious group.

about 6 of us, with a couple spiritual leaders. we ponder new age philosphies, meditate, often to speak to our personal dieties and spirits. and we often practice rituals, which may include drug intake, painting on eachother (often 3rd eyes) and chakra and energy work. we colaberate as a group and share money, posetions, and substances. we are constantly trying to add new members to the group, often with dramatic concequences ahaha... we fit the websters new world dictionary definition of a cult, is that what we are?

2. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

no, you just do drugs. But close groups of drug using hippies with philosophy can turn into cults, depending on power dynamics and intentions and stuff. I think it really depends on what you are doing.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nah...It's called alternative spirituality.

4. roamy

roamy Senior Member

what were the dramatic consequences ?

5. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Here's a test... Can you leave?

6. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

I've been in a real cult and basically the answer a real cult should give you is: "you can leave whenever you want," witha sly smile & they tell you this even though they know that its not true.

they basically make it seem like you can leave but you can't actually leave...

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

so, how did you leave?

8. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

Not a cult, sounds like your run of the mill fraternal /spirtual order/organization .
    Also sounds like a lot of fun, where do I sign up?!

9. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The key is mind control. Are there any efforts by your group to isolate itself from competing associations and to discourage independent thinking?

10. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

So, Okiefreak, you have mind control working against the controlling mind. Some people of a strong willed nature can find themselves exhilarated to authentic and remarkably resistant ways to believe future events to becoming accomplished at their what is essentially: the day job. This is not my day job. I quit it a number of times. But then the day job can be less meaningful to the other night occupation.

Actually I tend to agree with you. But the control on Time is an interesting issue to Ontological reduction. Meta-phyics is out of control and thinking for oneself. We turn to the ontological and essential Being/becoming. People like to be in control of their life. The meaning of being in control of the experience in life as a type in conformity when asked to, and in individuality when asked for, may BE Enlightenment of the third degree. How does one acquire thoughtfulness for Justice, Trust, and Compassion? That is not recognized for good judgment or even value in loving a neighbour in ordinary christian get-togethers.

And do we really like someone to control Time on us. Consciously, it is good to be aware of that judged.:bobby:

11. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

being a cult really just depends on the overall vibe of your group. Also not all cults are bad. That is a common misconception which derives from there having been so many cases in the past of cults going bad. It sounds to me as though your group is just a spiritual one. Just remember to keep your eyes open.

12. LornaDoom

LornaDoom Senior Member

does not sound like a cult, just a group experimenting

13. OddApple

OddApple Member

Agreed, and o-ccultly speaking, of the best and rarer kind. A cult will have a unifying and "guiding" worship which is adopted by it's members. The meaning of cultus is worship, so the catholic church identifies itself as "cultus dei" which brings to the second most prominent cult feature: pharisees, gurus and one or more (but few) group leaders acting as spiritual masters and literal ones as well.
    Someone sharing their thoughts, feelings, practices is far from the imposing of them on others by force psychological or physical.
    Just be greatful for the knowledge and power now and keep an eye out for the downfalls and traps. Best Wishes ~

14. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Well the Process Church of the late seventies had a good concept of institutionalized essence for the well-developed moral person to take control of the nature of objectivity of the whole mass society before time was even disturbingly involved. The drying cement on the sidewalks were time proof.

15. Buddy of the island

wow, its been like a year since I put this thread up :dizzy2:.. Hi Roamy! How have you been?

.. Oh yah, the consequences! I guess they werent THAT dramatic, it all seemed much more significant at the time. We became very socially isolated because, to be honest. I think people were a little creeped out by us:grouphug:

Its been a year though, and the cult is no more. Shortly after posting this thread, I realized I was the leader:oops: I decided stop what I was doing, for fear of leading them in the wrong direction.

it was a beautiful time though.. I would do it again, if a time comes when Im more confident about my spiritual direction.

16. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

My family thought I was in a cult when I wasn't anything near to a cult. When I was in a cult, I didn't know and neither did they. They had no suspicion of it whatsoever.

I think in a cult there is a clear leader and a hierarchy of others who follow that leader well. There are manipulative mind control games and money, work or living structures are dependent on the cult. The cult leader will somehow try to have control over one of the main structures of the member's daily lives and livelihood. If there are rumors of their being a cult, it's likely true.

If people are going in and out of the cult often and they can't keep their higher up hierarchy in place, it's likely a cult. If the upper members of the group are a bit secretive and the beliefs are a bit vague even to those inside the cult, it is likely a cult. If there is a sense of the cult knowing something that no one else knows and you're made to feel special because you're a part of it, it is likely a cult.

It's not all that easy to always know that you're involved in a cult. That said I don't think cults are really that common, it takes a whole lot of effort to sustain one.

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

no, I dont think youre in a ****..

18. Buddy of the island

not at the moment, no. Itd be awfully hard to do that and type at the same time :rolleyes:

19. andallthatstocome

andallthatstocome not a squid

reminds me of this one time at scout camp lol

20. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

depends on the perspective. freemasonry was once considered a cult.
    lost of esoteric societies still are...