A truly sustainable future?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by MamaPeace, Nov 7, 2012.

1. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

The History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ-J91SwP8w&feature=share&list=PLCA0D057399CACE5B"]300 Years of FOSSIL FUELS in 300 Seconds - YouTube

2. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

The Lies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uKgU7krWzE&feature=share&list=PLCA0D057399CACE5B"]DON'T WORRY, DRIVE ON: Fossil Fools & Fracking Lies - YouTube

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Watched them. Agree. Wait 'till the right wingers get here. They don't seem to realize that we're living on an island in the middle of ??? with unlimited everything. That's what conservatism is about-- Make no changes--everything is fine.

4. gendorf

gendorf Senior Member

I have a vision of the future. A new world order .
    Everybody drinks Soylent. The fully nutritious drink that contains everything the body needs. The product will appear everywhere, everyone will consume food calibrated to him based on blood tests.

Big Food Companies will increase advertisement and try to compete with Soylent....

Meanwhile in Africa someone will set up a plant to produce it.
    People will gather around the factories looking for work and food and build cities around it. The population will slowly start to rise and the living conditions will start to increase there. African countries will reach out into space.

The first settlements on mars are already full. Panic! Overpopulation. Wars between continents.... death and destruction....
    The bodies of humanity will slowly die... synthetic bodies will take the place of flesh and blood.
    Our minds will be uploaded to global communications networks. We merge with each other. Unity. Every conscious living being will become one.

type into the browser:
    soylent.me

5. cozmo_g

cozmo_g Is Out Of This World

I just wanted to add to your comment about conservatism. I totally agree and it really chaps my arse to hear conservatives take these two positions on everything:

1. Everything is fine just the way it is.
    2. We should go back to the 'good ol' days'.

Since when is progressive (root word: progress, ffs!) such a bad thing in their twisted minds? It's all based on FEAR and that;s what makes them dangerous. Cornered animal analogy and all that...

6. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

Well I'm sure there's a lot of fear mongering going on with that. The truth is that governments probably are more scared that someone is going to develop an EMP weapon and shut down their computers and techno-junk. So they're using this entire solar storm thing to drum up support and money from the public.

But still I actually dream and pray that something like a solar storm hits and we loose all the electronics junk. My desire to build small communities and eat non genetically modified food free from all chemicals over-rides my fear of possibly dying while giving birth.

Humanity survived very well without all this rubbish for thousands of years. I'm sure if it all ended tomorrow we would get along just fine... probably better.

7. scratcho

God will provide. The same way he/she/it disallows violence, inequity and un-necessary death. See what I mean? Buy more. Buy more now.

8. scratcho

To me, the problem is that almost ALL human endeaver is geared towards converting limited resources into buyable, sellable commodities. There HAS to be an end to it. The problem is short-sighted humans that have wrested control of governments,(politicians bought and sold like the greedy cattle they are) resources, (food supply and the important oil supply-which drives all industrialization and wars) media, (owned by the industrialists), who believe (evidently) that everything is fine and can continue forever. All has been given to humans to convert earth into a paradise for each human extant.,IMO. In the main, the great masses of humans have lost control of what some would consider our god-given rights to live a free, equitable and comfortable life. God aside, we can only help ourselves to a sustainable future, but it's going to take a paradigm shift in the way humans consider the end results of the present sysyems and take action(??) to adjust to what we've been given. Those with control presently will HAVE to relinquish it eventually.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

after our unsustainability catches up with us, the few who survive, will have no other way to live then to do so sustainably. i know money is our fatal distraction.

population, oil and coal, there is a critical mass on the even horizon.

obsesed as we are, all of these problems are otherwise solvable.
    there are multiple possible paths still ahead. no single one is completely inevitable.
    we've already tipped one balance though, with the global climate thing.

no path will see the population level we have now, driving combustion powered personal vehicles on paved roads a hundred years from now. that's one prediction i'm completely confident of.

10. Resistance isn't futile

The entire world's problems can be summed up in one word... * OIL *

• It's oil that's caused the over population problem. (Do some research on the hydro carbon revolution in order to understand.)

• It's oil that fuels our economies

• It's oil that is the main component of all our technology both in a physical sense and extrapolated sense.
    The problem is that new alternative/sustainable/renewable energy technologies are just not up to doing the job and won't be for a very long time. No other energy source will allow us to maintain our current levels of use, therefore we're headed for a lower energy future and that future is estimated to be here here in the next 5 years.

That future economy is going to be smaller, localized and much much much slower. However long from the ideal of cozy little communities trading food and blankets, our environment is already past the breaking point. Water scarcity, thousands of animals and plants already extinct and vital topsoil is already being acidified/destroyed at a rate beyond our technical know how to clean it or to control it.

Furthermore the investment needed to rectify these problems just isn't available. Vast sums of debt, securities and derivatives are being amassed at an alarming exponential rate. The numbers just keep multiplying and multiplying.

But those figures stand for real things... Things such as minerals, food and energy. Unfortunately most of these things are limited. (Ie: Finite, once used they're gone forever. ) In layman's terms we're consuming nature's resources and nothing is replenishing them. When you look at this way economic growth looks like a ponzi scheme.

There is only ONE SOLUTION.
    Stop using the oil now and learn to live simpler.

11. gendorf

gendorf Senior Member

sometimes I feel like the reason of human life is to release the trapped carbon molecules and put them back into the circulation where they originally belonged before solid creatures like us absorbed them up.
    a new world of seamoss people can rise from this after the fall of the mammal civilization!

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

governments only kill for oil because there is a market for it. there is only a market for it because people what to blame someone else, instead of giving up their cars, and supporting the development of adiquite infrastructure to replace them.

if when population implodes, there won't be pumping oil or mining coal. so nature will solve this problem by our near total die off.

and of course we do have the other option, and that is clean energy stored to propel transportation, and clean sources of energy for all uses. the technologies to do this exist. the resistence is economic and emotional.

people will wish they had taken the more considerate of environment course when it is too late to do so. we might not be at that point of being too late yet, but we certainly seem to be getting parilously close if we haven't.

13. Resistance isn't futile

No we don't

If you spend as little as 10 minutes researching this problem you'll discover that none of these clean energy sources are capable of doing the job oil does. Furthermore it takes oil to make the machinery of a clean energy source and we also don't have the technological know how or financial resources to develop them.

We are on track for a collapse of the entire energy ecosystem. All this war going on around us is just a symptom of the begining of that collapse.

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

spend a little longer and you'll find that is nonsense propiganda. of course no single source, clean or dirty, can do the whole job by itself.

the only thing oil is indispensible for, is worshiping the automobile as it currently exists. coal and nuclear, to keep power generation centralized, to keep it a userously profitable monopoly.

has nothing to do with meeting actual demand.

15. Resistance isn't futile

You've only researched poppycock.

You need oil to build all of these new clean technologies. The oil is used in their research and manufacturing.... The oil creates the plastics, provides the chemicals for the cells, etc. In short the entire clean tech needs to be built by oil and maintained by oil. There's no way to get around oil escept to stop using it all together.

The Loker hydrocarbon research institute, University of Oxford, Research Resource EGI at The University of Utah and even the Pakistan Journal of Hydrocarbon Research all draw the same conclusions.

That being that there's only 1 single energy source as versitile and portable as oil and that's muscle power. Unfortunately we live in a society of button pushers and not wood workers, horse trainers, cold forging smiths, etc.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

conclusions drawn by vested interests for vested reasons. sorry.

'science' financed by vested interests, can be, and is, often used as a smoke screen.

not that there aren't or should not be decenting oppinions, and valid research done to back them up. and i applaud your digging deep enough to find it.

none of us are always right, but none of us are always wrong either.

of course energy from what we're doing now, is what is most available now, to make or do anything with. and i'm not advocating an immediate cold turkey. of course that would be disasterous. but a bigger disaster looms ahead, from dragging our feet, on making the transition.

17. Resistance isn't futile

In this case you're right and I'm wrong and I capitulate.

Damn those books lied to me again.

18. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Oil is also indispensible to keep aircraft flying. We could maybe have electric cars, hydrogen cell cars etc.

But as far as I know, and if I am wrong I hope someone will enlighten me, there is no serious idea for any alternative propulsion system for planes.

19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

20. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Thanks for that. Of course I guess I could have looked it up myself. I didnt I think, because I am somewhat lazy at times, and that laziness is maybe representative of a general lack of willingness among people to get seriously to grips with these issues.

The trouble with bio fuels as I see it though, is that it takes land away from food production. And with increasing numbers of mouths to be fed, that could be very problematic.
    And in countries such as the one I inhabit, a lot of food is imported by air. So the way we currently organize things, a lot of fuel is required.
    Maybe its a question of reorganizing the way we produce food.