Disney buys out Lucasfilms

Discussion in 'Movies' started by la Principessa, Oct 30, 2012.

1. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

And Episode VII is coming out in 2015, the first of a new trilogy. I don't know why so many people are upset about this. Disney is awesome, give them a chance!

2. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

It's because when someone else tries to recreate something, it almost ALWAYS sucks.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

really, they're making more of them? ever heard of quitting while you're ahead?

also, disney generally sucks anymore.

4. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

[​IMG]

You know they are gonna do a Star Wars theme park

5. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Disney sucks.

They are plagiarists, swindlers, don't have any respect for their own properties (see: Fox and the Hound 2), are really shady as far as morals go (see: ABCFamily), and as far as art goes (will not release R films on most any of their imprints, buy rights for films that need an R rating for proper telling of the story), and have really dropped the ball and killed great companies after buy outs.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I was happy to hear about this becuase Lucas redefined sucking with Attack of the clones especially

I was just thankful anyone but Lucas is going to do 7-9

7. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

This.

Give Star Wars over to Joss or something. As long as George stays far, far away, it can't be all bad. Unless Disney puts out a Christmas Special, I think everything will be just fine.

As for 'when someone else makes it, it always sucks'

Not in the Star Wars universe. Not by a long shot. Some of the stories found in the EU are way better than the movies. Some, not so much...but 'someone' else has been doing this better than George for quite some time.

8. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Agreed.

What's wrong with that? That would be every geek's fantasy come true. Including mine.

9. eatlysergicacid

eatlysergicacid Creep in a T-Shirt

This could be good or bad. That is left up to where disney decides to go with the next movies.

What's definitely good is that the original films are finally fucking out of George Lucas's hands so he can't continue to rape them.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

There has already been a Star Wars christmas special :( :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_Wars_Holiday_Special

Well, although I wouldn't like to see the movies go downhill I always feel like the originator of a series or story has the right to decide where it goes next. It would suck of course if nobody (especially me :p) likes it though. On the other hand, with disney characters like Jar jar binks they already made the transition easier :D
    But I understand George Lucas removed himself from the production this way? It seems a bit weird.

11. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

I am just not a fan of Disney at all. :)

http://disney-sucks.com/

12. eatlysergicacid

eatlysergicacid Creep in a T-Shirt

My biggest qualm with Lucas, aside from Greedo shooting first, is this atrocity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4"]Star Wars- Jedi rocks - YouTube

13. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

Never once has a Star Wars film ever gotten a R rating. They've all been PG with the exception of Episode III, which was PG-13. So I don't see your point here.

14. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

Disney is the fucking devil. I'm starting to understand why so many Star Wars fans have a seething hatred for George Lucas. I saw the first film in 1979 - it was one of my earliest memories. The first trilogy was a salient feature of my childhood. I didn't hate the prequels, like some fanboys/girls . . . but this . . . Disney has a knack for twisting, distorting and ruining everything it touches. I blame Disney, almost singlehandedly for creating several generations of really fucked up and miserable women, thanks in large part to the insidious characterizations of many of their female characters. I shudder to think what they're are going to do with the Princess Leia character - one of the truly strong and progressive female film characters that came from the 70's and 80's.

15. jamgrassphan

16. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1fIH6GMIJg"]"Luke, I Am Your Father" - YouTube

17. odonII

odonII O

ftr, I have not seen the 70s/80's SW films in their entirety. Actually perhaps I have but I can't remember (doesn't say much for the films). What I do know is that I did watch the 90/2000's films. And they sucked the life out of me.

There is a brilliant story there somewhere - but it's all done with a big old paintbrush rather than a delicate fine pencil.

I hope they reboot the series and get rid of all that sucked about the other films.

It's quite easy to pull certain scenes from the movies and say: Look, AWESOME - but there are also vast swathes of the movies that are as boring as dishwater.

Edit/finesse/reboot

My brothers opinion:
    http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=404076&highlight=star+wars

18. McCloud

McCloud Member

I think people have romanticized the film, as happens with things from our past, to be better than it actually is. That's not to say Star Wars isn't a good movie, but now it's moving on and trying to conquer the new generation, and it will change I'm guessing to be almost unrecognizable. I have never been able to get into the movie myself, I must have asked my friends what it's about a million times and I only remember the first part being something about a prophecy, and obviously because of pop culture I can recognize jedis and chewbaca and gold bikini princess Leia, but I was never a big fan. To be quite honest I don't see what the big deal is about the movie. Was it so great because it was on the cutting edge of movie effects and technology? Well.. times have changed.

19. jamgrassphan

I think people tend to overlook the socio/political undertones in these films. There is a lot of allegory in these films that just elludes people.

20. odonII

odonII O

I think I gathered that both sides believe they are looking for peace. Both sides believe the other side is evil. If they trusted each other the universe would be a lot better place. The idea of 'The Dark side' is propaganda. I don't think you get much of that in the first movies - but the later films you do, imho.

Care to share what you think?