Do you believe in astrology?

Discussion in 'Astrology' started by Robofish, Oct 27, 2012.

1. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

No, I do not.

2. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Sure I believe in astrology ... it definitely exists.

3. nz male

nz male Senior Member

Sometimes my horoscope is very close to reality but sometimes it's just luck that something has happened in a similar predicted way.

4. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

stop the press!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. lithium

lithium frogboy

I don't believe in things that have been tested repeatedly under controlled conditions and found not to have any basis in evidence

6. lithium

lithium frogboy

Because there are so many factors, you can find confirmation for pretty much any interpretation of an astrological chart, many of them contradictory. If you think about it, this makes astrology extremely inaccurate. All you can do is verify your inferences, never refute them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

And that is your opinion, you can't really state it as a fact.

8. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

i read the newspaper horoscope, its just barnham statements that let you do the work, but fun in their own way.

don't believe in it at all, really.

terribly depressing thought, really, living in a deterministic universe where your date of birth affects both your personality and destiny? shackled to a futile, linear narrative by forces beyond your control or understanding with all the other august-clones like an esoteric version of Brave New World? no fucking thanks.

but then, i would say that; typical cancer :D

9. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

In the past, I thought it was tripe OR just so far removed from what it originally was, that it had lost all pretty much validity.

However, I never had any evidence to assess it.

To sum up, I think there's quack astrology and an astrology that people don't readily understand. ie most of us don't know what REAL astrology is.

Part of my work, I assess financial markets. And the idea of using planets for this sounded moronic.

But in finance, the big mystery is the length of cycles ie booms, busts etc, and all the moves in between.

Now one form of astrology is ALL about cycle lengths - day, week, month, morning, year, crop season etc. Then we have cycles like lifespan, career etc. And cycles in weather and other influences. This is science I'm talking about not "natal Venus in Conjunct with Saturn".

Planetary alignments can be considered "clocks", timing patterns that history can judge and confirm(or not). Then we have the physical influences these planets have-ntypically sun, moon, earth etc.

I've checked out reports by central banks, and conventional economists/banks etc. Even birth patterns eg month of birth give huge statistical correlations. The reality is that our minds operate according to cycles, patterns and constantly recurring "magic numbers".

I'm only interested in the science, not the "claimed tradition". It was a big eye-opener.

I'd love to find out about the Vatican's astrology books, and also some more Kabbalist stuff. Its weird when something u think is shite, turns into a revelation.

10. lickshots

lickshots Member

I agree, I think whether or not one believes in astrology often has to do with how much understanding one has on the subject. If all you know about is your Sun sign and newspaper horoscopes, you're probably going to consider it silly superstition. I think a person with more in-depth knowledge on the subject will find it difficult to dismiss completely. Most people know their Sun sign, but that's just one piece of the puzzle. I find natal astrology to be uncanny in its accuracy. However, I consider horoscopes to be generalized BS. My two cents.

1 person likes this.
  11. meeses

meeses Member

Piaf..... the facts are out there and it's for you to discover!

12. lithium

lithium frogboy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iunr4B4wfDA"]Carl Sagan on Astrology - YouTube

13. Still Kicking

Still Kicking Members

I think it is like all the other supernatural belief systems. It is based on emotional thinking. We have so many influences that affect our lives that we have little control over and some of us want to think that there are supernatural forces that are either "helping" us, or offer some sort of insight we can use to assert more control over our lives. Emotional thinking, though, is not rational thinking.

Bilby likes this.
  14. SouthShoreBum

SouthShoreBum Guest

I'm not really into astrology, but my wife is. She emails me my horoscope every day. I figure if nothing else, I use it to frame my day. So I guess the net effect is that even though I don't necessarily believe the horoscope I listen to it and follow it.

15. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

I never believed in astrology until I actually starting reading my horoscope. Shit is on the money like 95% of the time. I don't read it everyday either, but when I do its usually right.

It all has to do with energy, and how it effects your psyche. If a certain planet is somewhere, it gives off a certain energy, and that energy effects what you do and think about.

So at certain times in the month you will think about money, and certain times you will think about love, and other times you will feel everything is a struggle, and other times everything flows so easily.

It all is pretty general, but its because energy is broad. During the time of love, a lot of different aspects of that love energy can manifest. Maybe you meet someone new, or your renew your wedding vows, or maybe you have a lot of sex with your partner. But it all is because of that love energy. And its the same with all of astrology.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that seems kind of silly.

its written that way. every sign's horoscope is on the money for everyone like 95% of the time.

17. Still Kicking

Still Kicking Members

And we know all these types of energy exist how?

18. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

From people studying it for thousands of years, new breakthroughs in science that say everything emits subtle energies, personal meditation on it.

Love energy might not think of itself as love energy, but the fact that type of energy effects your consciousness in a certain way so that your love life is affected, then we call it love energy.

And who knows, perhaps this energy is intelligent and is conscious of what its doing to people. That is the new science unfolding, that the forces are the universe are intelligent.

19. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

i always find the use of the word "energy" in contexts like this to be infuriatingly vague. what KIND of energy? kinetic? potential? electromagnetic? chemical? thermal? etc. where is it going? what physical or chemical resources does it utilise?

just a personal bugbear, i suppose.

20. Still Kicking

Still Kicking Members

So, in reality then, nothing proves that such energy exists. Without evidence this is just another unsubstantiated claim. I wish this were not so, as it would be great to finally find something that could provide answers other than pure science. If you have any documentation of the science you are talking about, I would love to know where to find it, so I can read about it.