College, Sacrifice or Priviledge?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by swoosh, Oct 23, 2012.

1. swoosh

swoosh Member

what do you think, it really seems like a big money game considering how much debt students accrue. Not to mention immigrants come here and go to our universities for free then go on to a great job debt free wtf?!?!?

2. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Where do you live? How are they going for free?

If you get an education in something where you can get a decent job the cost is cheap considering you'll make money off it for the rests of your life.

3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Depends on what you study.
    Sociology? A waste of time, lol.

4. swoosh

swoosh Member

People who major in sociology can be a great aid in helping to connect humanity, lol.

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Socialized education and socialized medicine is something I think would benefit EVERYONE. Think of all the ideas that never come to fruition because of not being able to further one's education and understanding of the world and the problems in it.

So it should be neither a privelege nor a sacrifice,IMO.

6. BlueStreak98

BlueStreak98 Member

As a current sociology major I agree, unfortunately unless you intend to become a sociology professor it's a bit of a "jack of all trades, master of none" area of study, full of future waiters and bartenders. There's a good chance you'll get a job, but it probably won't be as a sociologist.

To be more direct to the original question, I've wondered this a bit myself, if it's more advantageous to avoid the debt and skip the school. But thanks to scholarships the debt is not an issue, so why not take the education?

7. swoosh

swoosh Member

im already in serious debt 10000 and only 2 semester in. im trying to be an engineer but im not learning math too well, is math just a thing that takes time or should i say fuck it and actually enjoy myself, i want to make big money though

8. LivinAFantasy

LivinAFantasy Member

If math is a problem, you'd better get help very soon, or your grades will make the decision for you.

Hire a tutor or see what resources are available so you can get help. And forget about the money you will make in the future and focus on the now.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

its neither a sacrifice nor a privilege

its an investment

10. hahaha04

hahaha04 Whatevers Clever

Yeah I would agree, an investment in yourself. To say going to school detracts from anything, is just not true. You can go to school for SO many different things. It isnt all just sitting around in lectures reading books at all! You dont even have to go full time. Take a few classes every now and then to work toward a goal degree or whatever. As much as I sometimes resent the ways higher learning establishments go about their ways, I really do enjoy going to school and learning.

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

one thing i try to do each day...no matter how bad the day is ...is to at least learn one thing new

that way a day can never be a waste

12. swoosh

swoosh Member

that seems like a humble idea you have. its hard to learn when your striving

13. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

What did you learn today?

14. SouthShoreBum

SouthShoreBum Guest

Socialized education would work ell provided three things:

1. Colleges should be run as non-profits. They should be run with the goal of self suffiency, but they also shouldn't be trying to appease shareholders. Even though the money would be coming from the government based on enrollment, it should be spent like a non-profit would.

2. There is school choice. The government should only be offering the money. You need to be able to select which university you apply to. On the same token the school should be able to turn you down if you are unqualified.

3. There is no right to college. There are some people that jut aren't cut out for higher academics. Money would be much better spent on vocational training.

15. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

It depends on what you want to make of it. You want to make big money your going to have to spend big money. Theres still no guarantee your going to making big money though. I knew a guy who spent a good chunk of change on a Philosophy Major. What good is a Philosophy Major when your standing knee deep in a trench fixing a water main break. Thats what he's doing now. Whenever I see him I ask him how the watermain feels about being repaired. Anyways, I couldn't see myself in a minimum wage job so I went to a small community college in Upper Michigan and got an Associates Degree. Am I rich, no, Am I comfortable, hell yes. College is what you want it to be.

On a sidenote to swoosh , If your going to be an engineer and having problems with Math you better get some help- now. Your in a Math heavy curriculum.