who all has really "camped out" before?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by slappysquirrel, Oct 4, 2012.

1. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

^where are you at? lol i live in florida it is pretty warm. lots of hot chicks here too btw

2. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Yes in my late teens I went through a period period of homelessness. Lived out in the woods in NY. Sometimes I wish I never rejoined society. Maybe I would be happier today. I was going to go back into the woods by choice but I got injured. Now I am stuck here. :sad: My story is rather long. Is there a question you have? Or are you just interested in others experiences?

3. slappysquirrel

interested in other's experiences i guess

4. slappysquirrel

*bump*

why not, it's hipforums!!! it's a good topic i think

5. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

What is it you guys wanna know about being homeless? BTDT willing to give advice and insight.

6. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

I spent 2 summers living in a home made lean-to covered with plastic to keep the rain out when I was a transient worker in the Yukon Territory. It was a fantastic experience living that way.

7. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Lots of folks living in Tent City, Lakewood, NJ., lots of you tube videos of the place.

8. yahoohippegm

yahoohippegm Member

I've camped out before, but never again. I hate bugs...

:2thumbsup:

9. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

I was a teacher back in my working life, so I usually had my entire summer free. Many times, my husband and I camped for a month or two in the mountains. I wouldn't call that "homeless", because we still had an income and a place to come back to.

But we got to be free of civilization for fairly long periods of time. I have wonderful memories of things that most people will never experience ... waking up and finding five moose milling around the tent ... making love during a mountain thunderstorm with lightning crashing all around us ... encountering a mountain lion in Kootenai National Park, up in Canada ... etc, etc.

The longest we backpacked at one time was about 10 days. It's hard to carry food for longer than that without resupplying. But how wonderful it is not to deal with traffic and the city and people scurrying everywhere! It really helps you put things in perspective. Most of our day-to-day problems are so trivial.

It feels good, too. After 10 days in the mountains, you absolutely glow :)

10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I Wilderness camped recently -at an olde Pagan site ("9 Ladies") near a place called Buxton UK = No Electricity, No Water, No Light, One mile (steep climb) away from toilet facilities = Gosh,= Great fun for a brief stopover, though taxing for to stay a'longer period :)

11. ZenRogue

ZenRogue Member

A year ago this month I gave up my apartment in Albuquerque, NM, gave away or sold everything that wouldn't fit in my car (after my dog, computer, books, clothes, medicines) and decided to do a road-trip lifestyle for as long as I could manage it.

A couple weeks after I left, I had major car repair in Northern California that zapped my small nest egg and I spent the next 5-months living from disability check to disability check in walmart parking lots. By the end of December last year, I'd had it so I took an apartment just to get out of the car.

Since then car repairs and dentist bills have kept me pretty much broke after paying my bills but I'm ramping up to do another trip. This summer in phoenix was so freakin' hot that I'm basically living like a hermit in the apartment. I take my dog out a couple times before 11am, then i'm inside until sunset... and I hate living like that!

I want to be able to enjoy being outdoors, walk along a beach, or through a forest, or even just sitting in a park under a shady tree and feel comfortable. Phoenix in the summer is no place for any of that so... I'll hang through fall & winter, but come early spring, I'm outta here! :)

12. slappysquirrel

you might like florida dude, but i suggest going back to norcal or something like that

13. S&L

S&L Member

Can you make a run to central British Columbia in the next few weeks?
    I need some help in the bush there for up to 2 month.
    does not pay much but room & board are free and weather is less hot.

14. slappysquirrel

dude i live like a king where i'm at,, and how the hell would i get to b.c?? lol

15. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I love North Cali.

16. hopiland

hopiland Guest

I've done this both on a van and with a bicycle, but not on foot. I lived like this for nearly 20 years in NM, AZ, on the rez, southern California, Hawaii, UK, Thailand, and now Cambodia. I gave up the van after 7 years (2000) and went to living on recumbent bicycle. Bicycle living can be very cheap, like 30 USD a month. With the van, insurance alone was 30 USD a month. I found living in Cambodia to be the easiest and have been here 6 years already. It is so cheap to rent (as low as 70 USD a month) so I just rent, but when I am touring (on bicycle of course), I do not rent or stay at a guest house. I stay with ordinary people I meet and Buddhist monks. It's easiest to travel alone because you are forced to interact. Also, a single person is not as threatening and more likely to be approached by strangers. Being on a bicycle slows the whole world down and it is un-imaginable compared to a bus or train. Living nomadic in non-Asian or non-Buddhist cultures requires a more disciplined and regimented strategy. Also, such a life can be easier within a matriarchal bicycle culture. There is just more respect on the roads, and everything is much less threatening.

17. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

love it, but not very good at it, hehe

18. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I spent a lot of time following the Grateful Dead and Phish around. Not really homeless but it did take some creativity sometimes. :)

19. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i need a miracle every day!

20. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter