Van Dwelling for 1000 days and Counting

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by hoboberg, Oct 1, 2012.

1. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

After holding a steady job for 16 years owning a home and all the toys I could imagine. I decided I no longer wanted to be owned by the man. Focus on my needs instead of wants. So I decided to live my childhood dream of dwelling in a vehicle in the southwest USA. Following TwoDogs thread for so many years I decided to make it a van. Beginning the fall of 2008 I sold everything I owned and headed to the southwest. I began working on my van equipping it with everything I need for the journey to date I've put in a 40 gallon water tank, flatscreen tv, Ps2 and a refrigerator all powered by a 210 watt solar panel hooked to a series of batteries. I have created a blog to share my adventures. The website link is located in my profile. Not sure if I could post it here or if that is against chat guidelines? If you have any ??? Feel free to ask

1 person likes this.
  2. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

as hard as it is to let the ps2 go it always comes back lol

3. Madesh

Madesh Member

Yeah actually it was the PS2 that made me chuckle :)

As a fellow traveller and van dweller I'm always interested in how others set their van's up. When I first took to living in a van I had so much stuff that I took with me. I think I tried to transplant my 'house' life into a van without grasping the concept of what I was really trying to achieve. Before long so much of the gear I was dragging with me not only was taking up space needed for living but was compomising my aim of simple living. It wasnt long before I found that the likes of a laptop using 'hotspots' served me well as a TV/Computer/Communication device.

I'd love to see more of your van and hear about your travels and experiences..please tell us more, and finally best wishes, love and good luck!

4. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

Yep had to keep the Ps2 for those rainy days that and my netflix subscription kill the boredom when the weather doesn't permit. Madesh its always nice to meet a fellow van dweller be interesting to see how things different in the lifestyle across the pond. Your van probably gets alot better mpg then mine:). I have about 300 pics at http://www.newagenomad.com/p/misc-pics-page.html There pictures of the van and my travel over the past 3 years. I will post some pics here as adventures arise. But hears a few pics of my van setup
    [​IMG]
    23inch and ps2

[​IMG]
    Outside looking in
    [​IMG]
    Faucet, Solar controller and fridge in the back​

Ill post more in due time took me half the day just to figure how to get the dang pics on here

5. junkin

junkin Guest

you're living the high life, lol...

When I lived in my van, I had nothing. Water was a gallon jug that got filled at public drinking fountains whenever I could find them.

I read to kill time. I slept when it got dark, and wake up when the sun began to rise.

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Congrats on 1000 days and counting my friend :)

7. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

nice i like the solar controler, good idea.

maybe someday you could totally run off solar power?

8. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

Lol sure feels like the high life. My first year out I used jugs for water and minimal electricity. After the complete remodel I have most the creature features. Doesnt look as pretty but serves its purpose.

Thanks Man

I am 100% solar as long as there's blue skies above:)

9. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

do you mean that your van runs on solar too, or does that still need gas if you were to drive? do you drive around to lots of diff spots or pretty much stay in one/a few?

very interesting

10. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

Lol :) Nope the van is still gas. Everything else is solar powered. I usually move every couple weeks. Right now im just waiting for the desert to cool down so I can get off the mountain.

11. DannyD

DannyD Member

I like your setup! Who says you can't live in a van and have all of the comforts of home? I have a recliner and a music studio in mine!

Here's a thread I posted a while back:
    http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=449968&f=57

I'm still in the verde valley. The weather is starting to get really nice!

12. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

Thanks Danny. Music studio haven't seen that before lol Spent lots of time in the verde valley. Usually stay out at 1000 trails on the bluff always a good time.

[​IMG]
    Verde Valley Last april

[​IMG]
    We even had some horseshoes

13. DannyD

DannyD Member

I'm sitting here surrounded by guitars, mixer, keyboards, effects, digital drums, and a loop station. I'm just starting to get familiar enough with everything to pull off some one man band stuff. It's my playstation.

I've never been down Thousand Trails. Love the name! I've driven by it a million times.

I want to go explore the mountain on the other side of the road soon. It looks like there are some cool pools in black canyon, a few miles hike from the end of Ogden ranch rd.

I'm heading up to NE AZ in a few weeks. I found an acre up there for $600. Rubber tramping it is fun but I'm ready to grow some food and herbs. Get in touch if you're ever in the area.

14. Gsislander

Gsislander Member

Ive dreamed of living in a van for a number of years. I actually did it for about 6 months, but then fell back into the 4 walls trap. In a relationship that i am just waiting out for now, yeah I know how crappy that sounds, but it is what it is.

the "plan" is to save up for another van by spring (march/april) and to move into it. Not looking for anything special, but sure would love to find another like I had before. mine was a 1986 Ford E150 with the 4 captains chairs and fold down rear bed. next time i do it i will be removing 3 of the captains chairs at least to make more room. While the Az dessert is my dream I have a lot to take care of here in canada before that is ever going to happen. Till then I can dream right?

15. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

Good Luck with the land Danny $600 seems like a good deal. Is there water?

Sorry to hear your back in the sticks and bricks. Good luck on your dream Islander!

[​IMG]

Heres a couple pics of the east verde river

[​IMG]

16. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Good to see people living out their dream. If I hadn't injured my back I would be on a journey myself. It takes a lot courage to make that first step. Be well and be happy.

17. +-Freedom-+

+-Freedom-+ Member

What do you do to earn cash to pay for your every day things? And also how much would you say you spend a year just living? Ya know gas food water any other things. Thanks, your thread is really interesting.

18. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

Thanks Dalamar Sorry to hear about the injury. Yes the first step was the hardest getting rid of all the securities, such as a job roof over my head, then heading into the unknown. Was well worth it in the end.

Hey Freedom, I was fortunate enough to have some good investments from my working years, but if I have to go back one day Ill find something part time never wanna enter the Rat Race again the freedom comes from not owning all those possessions. Id say my yearly bill is about 5 to 7 grand could lower that, but I still have a few bad vices :).

Heading towards the low desert now. Ill get a few pics of the journey on the way

19. +-Freedom-+

+-Freedom-+ Member

5 to 7 grand wow! That's about how much I'm spending right now just on rent haha is most of ur money spent on gas? I could imagina gas is the number one money blower. Also how do u make side cash on the road? I'm really interested in doing this but my only problem is cash. I only have about 4 grand saved up so far. Thanks for getting back to me,

20. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

No Problem. Gas maybe 1500 a yr I like to eat good and my major downfall is a flavorful beer LOL. $4000 that's really good considering most are hundreds of thousands in debt.

There's always side cash to be made whether its selling glow in the dark necklaces at a fair or a temporary position somewhere goes along ways.

I was interested in doing it for years! So glad I finally pulled the trigger