Looking For A Spiritual Guru

Discussion in 'Gurus' started by dixie_pixy, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Perilless

Perilless Member

I'll do it. One off charge of 100 bucks, then 50 bucks per 10 minutes. Thank me later :D

1 person likes this.
  2. freethinkingcpl

freethinkingcpl Member

I use to be atheist also.... Trying to wrap my head around this , but always seem to find my mind getting off track.

3. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

It can definitely be mind boggling, but this knowledge needs to be coupled with concentrated meditation.

Now you KNOW why you are one with everything else. Learn about mindfullness meditation, go sit in that pile of leaves, and BE one with everything else.

4. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

Me too. I cycle in an out of my spirituality. I notice that I come back to it during the hard times. It's human nature I guess, but I'm working on that :sunny:

5. jahina

jahina Guest

Rather than look outside of yourself to someone else, look inside. No need for a guru. You are your own guru.

1 person likes this.
  6. dark suger

dark suger Dripping With Sin!

I will be your spiritual guru! Come child I shall teach ye the ways of dark suger.

7. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

If asked I can post links to some other forums . There members are not gurus , but more spiritural . You might find some gurus on this site . http://meditationtime.grou.ps/ desert rat

8. keltic

keltic Guest

I'm having the same issue. I'm 42 and have only been meditating for a few years, but I've been a seeker I guess my whole life. Now that I'm older and further away from the distractions of growing up(alcohol/drugs/vanity/insecurity)
    and have married the woman of my dreams, I can devote more time on waking up. I'm doing it through Buddhism mainly, but if I could meet a teacher like Ram Dass...............:sunny::sunny::sunny:

9. Sininabin

Sininabin Member

my best advice is judge a flower by what it produces,

not the color of the petals but the juice of the fruit.

10. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

pretty much all of the eastern traditions agree that you should do good things and meditate.

meditating for at least an hour a day for at least three years is supposed to be especially awesome

:2thumbsup:

11. dormouse

dormouse Member

i studied under a guru for awhile and the only lesson of real value he provided me was ...

"Oz never did give nothin to the Tin Man that he didn't didn't already have."

1 person likes this.
  12. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

I loved that book. It really influenced me too. Then after studying with a guru for ten years and watching him self destruct and seeing what kinds of delusions he instilled in others I realized the whole 60's notion of enlightened magic man guru is bullshit.

That's not to say there's no value or truth in meditation and yoga and tantra. Because there is. Bot the whole personality cult and the 'I am soooo cool because Guru ______ plays with me,' sort of thing is truely bullshit. Ram Dass was bullshit though he came down to Earth quite nicely later.

The whole Crazy Wisdom thing is also bullshit. You must have practiced for a while before there's any point to it.

Finding a guru huh? If you were a painter would you seek out a Picasso as your first teacher before even learning chairoscuro drawing? I suggest you learn first to live and be a success OP, and then consider something intangible like a spiritual path.

I hung out with a Tibetan Lama for five years. He used to say of one of his followers that he was just wasting his precious life hanging out with him. That is a wise guru.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jagadananda

Jagadananda Member

14. SelAtla

SelAtla Guest

I do not consider myself to be 'enlightened', though my journey has taken me far. I seek a student or a guru myself that would take me even further.

If you want to contact me, please do so with information about what you are seeking / offering. What is your idea of a 'perfect' teacher / student. What do you want to know about me before anything continues so you can make the best choice for yourself?

15. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Buddha say "yo calf not we go chimichanga" which loosely translates into absolutely nothing because I'm talking out my ass

But in all seriousness, watch out for cult leader types. You seem impressionable enough that you could be mindfucked

16. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

Yeah...I think the best spiritual teachers don't consider themselves to be enlightened. I've learned a lot from yoga teachers, body workers, holistic health educators, etc.

One teacher said everyone is a teacher if you know how to listen. I have to agree with that. Everyone has something valuable to offer, something useful to learn, but I agree that it is nice to be in the presence of someone who makes life more peaceful, by the simplicity of their presence. You can learn a lot about how to transform your life just by example. A true teacher doesn't talk/preach so much, as they live and lead by example.

The one time I was involved with one who called himself enlightened it was a disaster. Delusion is definitely the word.

1 person likes this.
  17. laughing-buddha

laughing-buddha Relax and have fun

This thread is 2 years old. And in these 2 years, Dixie must have gathered some more wisdom/ knowledge.

Does it not mean- the guru has imparted knowledge through all these people, who interacted with Dixie?

Stop searching for Guru. He is not a personality/individual. He acts through various appropriate mediums from time to time..

Just have faith that he is there to guide you every time- even if you make a mistake or fail anytime.

This is what my view is.

18. onewhoisall

onewhoisall Members

I am no guru... that is for sure but if you ever need an open minded person to talk to about spirituality i would like to hear about it

19. beyondtheastral

beyondtheastral Member

You can find people to talk to about your spiritual journey at www.LightAndSoundMeditation.com
    There are guides that readily testify to having attained Enlightenment and more importantly can you get there in a finite period of time, there is no cost and no BS .

20. Kiprat

Kiprat ophidiophobe

Do not fear. I will be your spiritual guru. Simply foresake all your worldly goods to me
    my collective of humble priests.