Serving temperatures and pairings for various craft beers

Discussion in 'Potent Potables' started by CherokeeMist, Aug 28, 2012.

1. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Senior Member

Checked out this new craft beer store a few towns over, and ended up getting four 12oz bottles of various beers. I forgot to ask these questions there.

I got Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, Innis & Gunn oak aged beer, Blithering Idiot barleywine style ale, and Kentucky bourbon barrel ale. They were all on shelves, not in a fridge.

The Innis & Gunn suggests 4-6 C, but the others aren't marked.

I want to maximize the experience of these, so can anyone suggest good temperatures to serve these, if they're better in a glass or from the bottle, and what food may go well?

2. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Senior Member

Sampled the 90 minute IPA which is now in my top 3 beers.

Have moved on to the Kentucky bourbon barrel ale... I was hoping for strong oak and vanilla, and it smells decent but I'm disappointed in how underwhelming it is :( taste is mild and subtle... not bad but not what I was looking for. We'll see what happens as it warms up.

Will be saving the other two for another night.

Edit: Opened the bourbon ale chilled, and it was subtle at best. I let it sit for a little and the flavors are much more pronounced; strong bourbon taste without the burn. It's getting a lot better but I probably won't be getting it again soon. Will be trying a different beer from this style, though.