Chick-Fil-A sucks!

Discussion in 'Activism' started by Karen_J, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

just as up cannot exist without down.. dumbasses cannot exist without jesus

2. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Why do you say that?

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

[​IMG]

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I don't get that one bit at all in the company policy you posted.
    It's a private business, if he wants his stores closed on Sundays for personal religious convictions than more power to him.

Remember, that was one of the primary reasons that this country was founded. Religious freedom and freedom of speech.

What is wrong with having "To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A." as part of the stated Company Purpose?

Do you think any company wants "To have a negative influence on all who come in contact with (enter Co. name)" to be their stated Company Purpose?

I think you misunderstood that the part about being a good steward of all God has given them is the part related to closing on Sundays, not the line you quoted.

Seriously, your grasping at straws here.

Why does their policy of being closed on Sunday irritate you so much?
    Because you have to settle for burgers on Sundays or something?

1 person likes this.
  5. Aerianne

My food choices are not relevant.

Besides, if he wanted to close on "The Lord's Day" - Sabbath is from Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

"chica fill" is what i do with my penis when hanging out with latinas.

chick fil a makes some damn tasty fast food. i don't really care what religious beliefs some asshole that works there has. i guarantee there is a shitty semi-evil asshole in upper management at every fast food place. that said, i don't eat at chick fil a for 3 reasons. 1) they decided not to put a store anywhere near where i live. 2) when i did live kind of close to one, i only drove by it around dinner time on sundays, and their business plan is that people who need to eat on sundays should fuck off. 3) the people that work there are fucking creepy. like, remember bob from the enzyte commercials?

[​IMG]

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrPT9ClVUc"]Gimme that Filet-O-Fish - YouTube

8. LetLovinTakeHold

Seems to me you're over dramatizing a bit. Almost as if you want him to be a scumbag because his beliefs are different than yours. Fighting intolerance with intolerance?

9. Aerianne

I'm completely tolerant of his right to express opinions which I believe make him appear to be a pious asshole.

10. 56olddog

56olddog Member

Dayum, ya'll. If you don't like Chick-fil-A, hell, don't eat there. Problem solved.

1 person likes this.
  11. Aerianne

He's a shrewd business man, I'll give him that. He has managed to capitalize on catering to the Christian market in this area.

12. LetLovinTakeHold

I find it ironic that so many people are exercising their right to free speech to protest someone using his right to free speech.

13. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

let me start by saying that I'm all for gay marriage and equality in gay relationships across the board. Please, keep that in mind for what I am about to post is going to make me sound like a tool bag (hey, at least you've been warned).

My take on this Chik-Fil-A thing is who gives a flying fuck?!

This shit is being taken so far outta fuckin control that gays all over the country are doing a "kiss in" Are you fucking kidding me?! A kiss-in?!

And to boot, because they are doing this "kiss-in" the media and all these fuckin people are comparing it to the civil rights movement and the sit ins.

Let me make one point clear - during the times when the blacks were doing the sit ins, they were being treated like absolute garbage in this country. They wanted to be equal to every other man in the sense of being able to shit in the same toilet and eat at the same restaurant and vote in the elections. They wanted to be SAVED from all of the beatings and discriminations the white man brought upon them.

How in fucks name is that related to this "kiss in" where the gays are standing in front of these restaurants and making out cuz the president of this restaurant doesn't like them? Can gays not vote? Do they not have the right to walk into any restaurant they choose? Can they use the same toilet as straight people? Just because a company is against gay marriage doesn't put this anywhere near the caliper of the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

And yes, I understand there are hate crimes against gays. But they aren't the only ones. There are hate crimes against every walk of life for one reason or another.

No matter what you do or where you go, there will always be someone who doesn't like you or doesn't agree with what you're doing. You should just keep on keepin on and fuckin forget about it. Instead of making this huge fuckin deal cuz some shitty restaurant I've never heard of until now decides they don't like gays.

14. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Probably the best post I've read on the topic, from this fellows blog.
    http://www.owldolatrous.com/?p=288

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The only thing that really bothers me about this whole debacle is the sheer number of people that showed up yesterday to show support for chik fil a.

This country has serious issues. It's falling apart. There are a million things wrong with it, and the one issue the mainstream public decides to support has to do with giving a goddamn fast food corporation even more profit?

Fucking ridiculous. Welcome to 'merica.

16. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I don't get why so many people care so much.

I mean, on one hand, yeah, he's an asshole....

I don't know how the chain works, is it a publically traded company?

If it's a public company, I don't think that they should have "free speech" on a political topic, that seems like citizens united type BS to me. But if it's privately owned I think they should be able to say whatever they want -- with the potential outcome that people choose not to eat there and support those private individuals views.

But who really cares? He has not refused to serve gay people, satan's money is good money too.... If you don't like it don't eat there. I wouldn't eat there anyways...... Never have, never planned on it, this has not influenced me at all.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I hope one day they link rising rates of homosexuality to the hormones they pump in chickens raised on the inhumane chicken farms which supply chik fil a.

I know it doesn't really work that way but Oh sweet irony :D

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I don't think any reasonable person is saying that Dan Cathy does not have the right to express his views. But the rest of us have an equal right to publicly disagree with him, and to question his judgment.

Besides my political/social/moral disagreement with him, he is one leader in a trend toward rejecting one of the fundamental unwritten rules of business, which is to never piss off customers over something that has nothing to do with what you do for a living. I think it's a terrible idea.

Everybody knows that various businesses are owned by all kinds of people with all kinds of views and values, but most of them know when to keep their mouths shut. For example, most of us have bought many things in stores owned by Jewish people, but their sales in America would drop like a stone if they started printing "Jesus was a fraud" on their shopping bags. You know what Jews believe, but they don't rub your nose in it on a daily basis. In other words, they respect all their customers.

When Dan Cathy was quietly giving millions to groups that I disagree with, I didn't have to deal with it. But when he started speaking publicly about it, that made me morally responsible for what I do with that information. I'm going to have to stop patronizing them, because I'm not going to knowingly support any of his favorite causes with one penny of my money.

This is one of those days for me that it sucks to have a conscience, because I like Chick-Fil-A's chicken. Compared to other fast food options, the calories, fat grams and saturated fat are not too bad there because they use peanut oil.

And...let's not let Mike Huckabee totally off the hook in this thread. He didn't start the controversy, but he single-handedly elevated it to the next level. Wednesday's event was his idea. I'm not really sure he is helping that company. In the short term, they had a huge sales day on Wednesday. But now they have become a lightning rod for gay protesters.

Does Dan Cathy even know what he has gotten his company into? This controversy is not going to go away anytime soon. Are all his employees prepared to deal with all the problems that they are about to face?

Quietly avoiding right-wing activist businesses at a personal level may not work out in the long run, if the current trend continues. Another restaurant chain in this area (Cook-Out) prints Bible verses on their bags, and a locally owned restaurant in the area allows a prayer group to meet in the main room and do long fundamentalist prayers that everyone can hear. At least two others have printed statements publicly announcing their financial support of pro-life organizations. How many places am I going to have to cross off my list?
    :toetap05:

I'd like to see more people simply demand that businesses get back to what they are supposed to be doing, which is to focus on providing a product or service that customers are willing to pay for. They can do whatever they want on their own time, and with their own money, just like the rest of us. Any other approach is going to take us in a bad direction. I don't think you have to take a Business 101 class to understand this.

19. Aerianne

I agree.

20. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Also, I hope that not too many folks will miss the broader context of all this. We are fighting a culture war, and if you want to win a war, you have to take every battle seriously. All the minority groups have to support each other, or else we will get picked off one by one. We can't afford to say, "This isn't my issue" just because we aren't likely to be affected personally, this time around. Next time, you may be the victim.

It's always the same old battle, isn't it? We have the group that believes tolerance to be one of the cornerstones of civilization as we know it, and another group that seems to be constantly saying, "Everybody should be required to be like me, because I'm never wrong. I know all of God's opinions." I just don't understand how a rational adult can feel that way. :(

I used to believe that only teenagers thought they knew everything. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.