UGH! Moths!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by gypsy_queen79, Jun 11, 2012.

1. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

I found out what was eating on my eggplant's leaves. I caught it in the act! It was a very large moth, about as wide as a quarter (wings closed) and a reddish tan.
    How can I keep him off of my plants naturally?
    I'm also fighting tiny ants. We have underground colonies all over the property. I REALLY don't want to use pesticides like my mom would have me do. (her garden too)

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Make a strong "tea" from chewing tobacco and spray it liberally on the leaves... No bugs will eat them.

For the ants look for a product called Terro. It's a clear gell that you apply to squares of cardboard. It's nontoxic (borax) and will wipe out the whole colony of ants.

3. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Okay, so the Terro is okay for organic gardens?

4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

Diatomaceous earthpour this crap around the ant holes

i have used 40-1 standard solution of dish soap and water..soap should me anti-bacterial to get rid of bugs...can be used right up to but not including fruit/flower formation...mix and spray entire plant

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Should not be a problem, Borax is a naturally occurring mineral. I found this on their website...

http://www.terro.com/faq-ants.php

While that's not specifically about organic gardens, it shows it's safe. As safe as the diatomaceous earth rolling mentions. If you still have concerns about "organic" there is a place on that page to ask.

I've always looked at diatomaceous earth as a repellent (keeping ants away) than a method of removing a colony completely. Never used it directly on ant holes.... It is good at keeping all crawling bugs away from the house though.

X2 for the soap... I mix soap with the tobacco "tea" at times, as it stays on the leaves longer, say during a rainy spell. The tobacco can be used during fruiting as it washes completely away from the food at harvest. If you have a flowering plant that needs bee interaction, just keep it off the flowers and spray the rest of the plant... it won't bother the bees that tobacco tea is on the rest of the plant. You can use a standard spray bottle to apply.

6. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Thanks for the ideas guys.
    As far as the soap, I mixed some vinegar, peppermint Dr. Bronners and canola oil and sprayed the ants. They took two steps and dropped. It seems more short term to me.

7. independence

independence Banned

a species of moth will attack squash

8. emmastone

emmastone Guest

I looked them up and couldn't find exactly what it was. But I also saw a very long and slender black bug on the back of one of the leaves.

9. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

lol "giant moth" the size of a quarter.. you haven't seen anything yet then..

10. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

In the 22 years I lived on the property, that was the biggest one yet.

11. Vincent2012

Vincent2012 Perpetual Smiler

If you can build up the eco-system in your yard, and plant things to attract the good bugs, you'll have less work of trying to keep the bad bugs in check. Nature will take care of things for you, if you learn to work with it.