Attitudes towards politics

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hemp-stir, Apr 8, 2012.

1. hemp-stir

hemp-stir Guest

And your an old guy huh? I know your from the U.S.A (where republicans actually say out loud all the stupid shit they believe, at least it's funny that way). But you remember Trudeau? According to paps those where the days. Politics is what you make it.

2. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I've only recently took an interest in politics. I've grown tired of the "lessor of two evils" approach that seems to be very common. When Rand Paul ran for senator of my state, is when I started really getting into it. I don't really fit into any political category, though I suppose I relate to Libertarians more than any other.

I used to be very anti political, and I still can be at times due to the complete bullshit that is the American Political system. But certain quotes such as the following stick out to me.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men."

The lessor of two evils is still fucking evil. I'm tired of evil and I'm tired of corruption.

3. 56olddog

56olddog Member

Try reading the posts prior to the one you quote... maybe you will be able to grasp the context and meaning of my statement.

I've no idea of (nor do I care) what you think politics is -- I care even less of Harper and/or his government.

What's really funny is the way many of those living elsewhere (and usually never having even visited the U.S.) actually believe they understand American politics and find it neccessary to offer their criticisms of it and their flawless solutions to the problems as they believe them to be.

Even funnier are those starting political poll threads, saying they "greatly appreciate responses" and then proceeding to post snide, senseless criticisms of the responses they get.

LMAO

4. LetLovinTakeHold

I'm also tired of liberals bashing conservatives, and vice versa. The right needs the left, and the left needs the right. Too much of one or the other makes for no fun on the see saw. The sooner we realize this and find a middle ground to move forward from, the better. Till then were all just spinning tires and throwing rocks at each other.

5. RiffRaff

RiffRaff Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You better be "interested" in politics or you're living your life with your head in the sand. If you just sit back and let the politicians run your life, you might as well live in a dictatorship.

It's sad that most people do think that no matter what they do, politicians are going to do what they want and so they don't get involved. If more of us got involved, things would change. They do change when we get involved. Proof being, the Vietnam war. Students got involved in anti-war demonstrations. This caused others to get involved and put pressure on the government to remove our troops from Southeast Asia.

6. gizmoguy

gizmoguy Member

I'm very interested in political theory. I've been formulating some ideas for about 3 years now. Personally I suppose I'd describe myself best as "tribal anarchist": I wanna live in a little commune in a forest somewhere in harmony with nature.

7. hemp-stir

hemp-stir Guest

everything you say is meaningless. I have been to the U.S many times, and you might not realize just how much American media we get in Canada.Typical American you are, caring nothing about his neighboring country. you can't even explain your own words. the rest of what your saying is just... wtf are you talking about kind of non sense

8. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

There are no Liberals in America, at least not in elected offices of American Government.

"There is only one party in America, it's called the Property Party and it has two right wings: the Democrats and the Republicans." -Gore Vidal

9. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

I voted interested but I'm only interested in so far as to find out what new joke is coming down the road at us.

I truly believe that all politics and governments are corrupt and can not be fixed and so I advocate ignoring them as much as possible.

10. OlderWaterBrother

I'm unsure what you mean by "tribal anarchist" but that seems to describe what I believe.

I like the idea of "tribal" counsels mediated by someone who has some experience in the subject at hand and that everyone can except the conclusions of the counsel or ignore them as they see fit and go their own way, no hard feelings.

11. 56olddog

56olddog Member

Wahahahaha :smilielol5:

So meaningless that you just had to respond.

12. OlderWaterBrother

No, I did not vote and have not voted and will not vote.

What voting does is that it makes you part of this system of things. You, by voting, have agreed to support the government you live under no matter what evil they do. If that government bombs innocent women and children, your vote gave them the power and authority to do so. You signed the contract.

Yes, I know the government will still try to run my life how they see fit, they will do that anyway but at least I didn't give them the authority to do so by voting.

Like Lennon said "imagine" if only one or two people voted in the election, could an elected official say "I have a mandate from the people", wouldn't he tread just a little more lightly knowing that some 300 million people did not elect him and could easy turn on him? Just saying. :)

13. purrin

purrin Member

I honestly believe that if people would wake up about environmental crisis they would all vote for the Australian Greens and they would be our main party. After the circus with Gillard and Rudd and everything I just think the stage is set for the Greens and Independents to wage a battle and win too. They should campaign hard. Rudd should be an independent for that matter. We should all be politicians. Maybe when we're older. Right now I just wanna bake cookies. And not worry about the Koreans, try not to think about the Arab Spring and chill out. Honestly we are so lucky in Australia, it is unimaginable that our own govt. would start attacking us on our doorsteps. There are a lot of angry people out there. The environment is the single most important political and personal issue facing the world today. It's time for people to wake up about it, it's already getting too late.

14. LetLovinTakeHold

To me, this is a very strange way of looking at things. I see it being the opposite.....if you don't vote then you're saying, "you're doing a great job government. I trust that anyone elected will make the right choices on my behalf."

That is unless you're reason for not voting is because there isn't a worthy candidate. Which is ofcourse a likely circumstance today. But to ignore the voting process completely is only going to worsen the conditions that make you weary of it in the first place. You can't score any points sitting in the locker room....

15. Raga_Mala

It's the difference between implied consent (not voting) and explicit consent (voting).

16. LetLovinTakeHold

So if (when) I vote for Ron Paul, that means I'm giving explicit consent to whoever actually wins the election? I understand your logic, however completely disagree with it.

17. Raga_Mala

It's not my logic, it's the logic of most major democratic theorists. By voting for Ron Paul, you accept the validity of the election. By casting a vote, you say that you believe the election is valid, and (unless you are alleging election fraud) you have to accept the validity of the government that is elected by it.

18. LetLovinTakeHold

This sounds better

19. Raga_Mala

That's ridiculous. That's the political equivalent of being a sore loser. If your side won, would people who voted against be similarly entitled to consider it invalid?

If you vote, you are saying in no uncertain terms that you accept the institution of the election. Elections are a means of choosing one candidate/government over another, not means for everyone to express what kind of government they individually would like.

20. LetLovinTakeHold

But voting for something is a form of expression representing what you want.

By your logic it would seem the only respectable thing to do when faced with a corrupt system is to ignore it and hope it gets better.