The Christian Hippie

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by FlowerMama, Apr 2, 2012.

1. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

A lot of other Christians I know, don't think the two can be consolidated.
    I disagree, I don't do pot, I stay faithful to my husband and I instill my children with Christian morals.
    However, I do think that Christ was radical because of His love, and was hated by the powers at the time because he taught social pacifism.
    Christ taught love, and the whole hippie 60's movement was supposed to revolve around loving your fellow man.

So how do you show your faith through being a Christian hippie?
    What separates you from the pack of secular hippies, if there is anything?

I'm curious to know.

Peace,
    - Flowermama:daisy:

2. shamansun

shamansun Guest

Christian Hippie, I like that! Personally I do not identify with being a Hippie, but I think if we truly wish to love the world we have to get to the heart of it. For a Christian, the heart of the world is discovered through a deep love and surrender to Christ. These past years, the writings of The Cloud of Unknowing have been unendingly supportive for me. Maybe look into some forms of Christian Mysticism, like the writings of Thomas Merton, or more recently, the teachings of Father Thomas Keating.

OK, well I hope this helps a little bit!

PS: After a quick google search, this blog came up: Hippie Christian!

3. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

peace and love is hippie , and being christian shall not be
    separate from that .

what's to do with the christians who love war ? make em
    cry ....

how do you show your faith in hippie style ? hmm ... could be
    an art of opposite . to love your enemy is one christian art of opposite .
    when some self-appointed enemy buggers on you , hippie ,
    can sing a song at'm just so , just so fine , in such perfect
    timing that only spirit love can do , and this is your power .

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I agree. Jesus was a hippie. Not all hippies are Christians, and not all Christians are hippies (obviously). In the Rainbow Family of the Living Light, probably the largest collection of hippies in the world today, there are Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, pagans, and atheists, but also Christians. Jesus preached peace, voluntary poverty, and universal love, especially for society's rejects. We don't know about his substance use one way or another, but I don't consider that to be a defining characteristic of hippies. I think he was a radical Jewish leftist hippie, which is why I'm proud to call myself a follower.

5. MeowKat

MeowKat Member

There are a lot of folk who have categorized themselves as Christian and hippie. You're not alone here! I would say the main divergence is that many Christians live life for the afterlife, whereas hippies, by definition, are more present.

6. tropical2some

tropical2some Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I call myself a christian because I try to live like Jesus lived. He didn't judge others; he helped people when they were in need, even to his own detriment; he was humble. He was the embodiment of Micah 6:8.

I'm dubious about a lot of of the dogma permeating the modern christian church. I suspect that a lot of it has been generated by unscrupulous people using religion as a weapon or a get-rich-quick scheme. (History -- and current events -- are filled with examples of both.) But that dogma has become so ingrained in the church that it's difficult to purge.

I don't think that smoking weed -- or even an occasional threesome -- is necessarily a sin. But I believe it IS a sin to ignore the needs of others, or to treat our neighbors in a way that is inconsistent with they way we hope to be treated in return.

In my perception, hippie-ness and Christianity seem to coexist nicely.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  7. Desos

Desos Senior Member

it seems like most people who get too heavily involved in christianity become very rigid, whereas hippies are very loose. so while alot of hippy ideals can easily be encapsulated into what jesus taught, the actual implementation is fairly different.

not that the two couldn't easily find a nice middle ground. but there are so many different gospels out there already.

i find truth in loving your neighbor and loving your enemy. there is alot of freedom in loving everybody, and doing what you can to help them -- and much wisdom in the suffering that comes along with it.

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

forgiveness, forbearance, mercy, love, are a few other things that come to mind.

also while it isn't a reality in my life right now, i beleive that being a christian and being a hippy both lead down roads to communal lifestyles like in acts 2:44 where they lived together and shared all things in common.

8. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

I find that people really like to muck up the faith by becoming militant in their theology. Protestant, Catholicism, Armenian, Calvinism..etc They can all tear each other down instead of build each other up.
    People get so focused on "My way is the RIGHT way" that they forget we're all living the same faith, and having the same love.

There is so much freedom in loving the way Christ taught, you're very right.

Peace,
    -Flowermama

9. thepouringrain

thepouringrain Guest

This! Exactly this. I think to be a Christian you have to surrender to God, God is love, and to live in love is to be a hippie. I'm a Christian hippie!

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God!

10. EclecticFortune

EclecticFortune Guest

I believe as Christ is one with God, we can have a relationship with the true and living God when we accept Christ into our heart. A person who has a relationship with God will have a greater appreciation for the things God created. Hippies seem to appreciate God's creation more than most standard issue Church people I have met.

11. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

There were many Jeshus.The one we know as Christ,a prophet,was the one that became the Big Deal.There are obvious parallels between the Christian ideal and the hippy ideal - It depends on your interpretation of the faith.However,my Father,for example,came from a strict Christian background,and became a hippy exactly to escape the conservatism and small mindedness of some aspects of the faith - so it can be taken either way.

12. Desos

Desos Senior Member

yea christianity is messed up over there is the UK bro.

there are alot of similarities between some aspects of the message of the gospel and the hippie message. love, peace, truth.

sometimes i think, "wow, i get to live in this spectacular light of love, AND i get to be forgiven and have eternal life?"

13. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

How did I miss this thread!? How uncanny, because I've certainly used the phrase Christian Hippie to describe my path to people. Totally agree with most of what's already been said here.

And Jesus has nothing against cannabis and psychedelics if used with pure intention. He Himself used the holy anointing oil (one of the main ingredients being cannabis) for healing purposes.

14. rak

rak Senior Member

To love God, but to tolerate the faith of others, instead of always trying to pressurise people to think like you.

15. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

Amen brother! :2thumbsup:

I did not know cannabis was in anointing oil! Do you have a link where I could read up on that?? :)

Peace,
    - Flowermama

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

When Christians got into be with Emperor Constantine, they took a major step from Jesus' path to the way of the Pharisees. First of all, Constantine credited Christ for his military victory, and thereafter Jesus became transformed from the Prince of Peace to General Jesus. Second, Constantine provided money to support the Christian churches, but to conserve the imperial treasury, he would only give it to the "true" Christian churches and let them duke it out to establish which those were. Hippies have done us a favor in getting back to basics.

17. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

After looking at very convincing evidence, I have recently come to believe in universal salvation. That is, in the end, I believe Jesus will save all mankind.

Best article BY FAR: http://patients4medicalmarijuana.wordpress.com/marijuana-info/marijuana-in-the-bible/jesus-cannabis/

There is also strong evidence to prove the use of psilocybin and amanita muscaria mushrooms throughout the history of Christianity. Particularly, the "manna" in the Old Testament very uncannily matches the description for psilocybin mushrooms.

There are Mexican natives who've combined the belief in Christ with their use of psilocybin.

The UDV church in Brazil treats ayahuasca (natural DMT brew) as the blood of Christ, the average citizen partaking in its ritual consumption during church services. There's the Santo Daime church as well, which also uses ayahuasca with a Christ mindset (though they have a difference in beliefs compared to UDV).

I find it all very fascinating. :D

18. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

In a way it makes a lot of sense. In fact, Jesus was probably the "truest" hippie there ever was!

1 person likes this.
  19. rak

rak Senior Member

So do I, but non Christians tend to be convinced by that through seeing a good example in you and not in theological arguments on the street.

20. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

Totally.
    Why bother shoving Bible verses down someone's throat who doesn't even think it has any merit?
    It's pointless.

If you want to change a heart, the best was is to show yours.

Peace,
    - Flowermama