Should it be illegal to photograph someone without his or her permission?

Discussion in 'People' started by noyb5349, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noyb5349

noyb5349 Member

I definitely think so.

2. Black_Books

Black_Books Member

It is actionable and/or unprotected. That is enough, in my opinion.

-BlkBks

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Should it be illegal for someone to look at you? What is the difference if the image is recorded or it is live?

4. OneLifeForm

OneLifeForm Member

I don't think so.

Standard husband unit likes this.
  5. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

what happens if i'm taking a picture of my wife in front of some sort of tourist attraction? do i have to make sure i get nobody else in the background?

not practical

6. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

Exactly. If you're in public, then anyone can take your picture.

1 person likes this.
  7. noyb5349

noyb5349 Member

I did have direct pictures in mind as opposed to background pictures but I think even in that situation if a person feels violated by having his or her image recorded without his or her permission, the issue (of image recording without permission) should be discussed or debated on.

EDIT: Yeah, some kind of technology that automatically blurs peoples images in a photo's background could be used. Some genious could design that (credit to Dejavu for the idea.) I do feel like image recording without permission could be a personal violation.

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think if you're too paranoid you should just stay home.

9. noyb5349

noyb5349 Member

LOL. Why do entertainers get so angry sometimes about being photographed by the popporazzi? Because they're paranoid? Having your image recorded without permission can be very irritating and maybe you should experience it before dispensing advise about it...no offense meant. Tell the family of Princess Diana that she should have stayed home...

10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm not dispensing advice. I stated my thoughts on a question for which you were seeking opinions.

I know one reason that celebrities don't want many photos snapped without their permission - they make a living selling their images.

11. ☉rtus ♉

☉rtus ♉ Waffle

I think it all depends, i personally wouldn't want some stranger taking a picture of me, who knows what they may do with it...

I think it should all depend on the circumstances, if you're at some tourist attraction (mentioned earlier) then yes its fine if somebody is in the background. But if you are deliberately creeping on somebody and taking their picture, then yes that should be illegal.

Stalking somebody and taking their picture, or randomly taking pictures of people on the street is weird and creepy in my opinion, that should be illegal. The only time its okay to intentionally take somebodies picture while following them is if you're trying to gain evidence for legal issues.

But i see nothing wrong with accidently getting people in the background while taking a picture, like at some family outing or event, or tourist attraction. That's just expected to happen. That being said though, people should refrain from doing that on beaches... it kind of makes it creepy.

12. Shatarag

Shatarag Member

This issue can became to broad to make it a law, it should be a law to publish or profit off of photes of others... So it really has more to do with the sometimes shitiness of human beings and lack of concern for others.. I hate that there is a need to ask questions like this and make laws to protect people because of others lack of kooth.....

Standard husband unit likes this.
  13. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

I think if you are in a place where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy, then no, it should not be illegal.

However, if you are in a place with a reasonable expectation of privacy (i.e. inside your own home and not visible from a public place (i.e. through an uncovered window), a public dressing/change room, bathroom, shower,) then no one should be allowed to photograph you for any purpose, including government and law enforcement purposes.

Conversely, in Illinois, if you record a moving image of a member of law enforcement on video, you can be charged for illegal wire tapping, and there have been numerous cases successfully prosecuted as a result of this farce.

14. Glowstick

Glowstick member

In a public setting no. To be spying on someone through their window or some other similar creepy scenario yes.

wrat1 likes this.
  15. tcore108

tcore108 Member

Now what happens after you take the picture is your fault.

16. marcia hope

marcia hope Guest

:daisy:it should be allowed , look how many cases are being solved these days . News is News and shuold be shared with the world .

Flagme15 likes this.
  17. europa

europa Member

Just imagine how bad I would feel when I found that I have been photographed secretly until I saw the pictures.

18. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Picture taken in public............. yes
    Picture used for monetary gain............. no

19. TheBloodyDreamsSeries

TheBloodyDreamsSeries Member

Well I believe it should be legal if their in a public place, and your not trying to make money off it....

20. nanettetron

nanettetron Member

Yes, I think taking a picture, should have the person's opinion before snapping a shot of them.

21. _Bob_

_Bob_ Una Tana Bibi

No, it would be just another excuse for the government to expand its already too broad powers. It would open a can of worms and would lead to loads of people being arrested as well as civil litigation. Unless someone's sticking a camera in your window without your permission, they should be able to photogrph whatever they want to.

VeganLadyAZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.