Any self-taught musicians?

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by bluegypsyrain, Mar 24, 2012.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Much appreciated. :guitarist:

2. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

I play banjo, guitar and piano. Piano lessons when I was a wee lad. The guitar and banjo I learned on my own.

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I played piano as a kid but switched to guitar because it was hard to carry the piano around. That was before I had access to anything like electronic keyboards.

4. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Self taught guitar. I got my first 3/4 acoustic when I was 7 but never started playing until my 13th when I got a plain red Squier Strat and a terrible amp. I had lessons for around 2 months when I was 16/17 but I either missed them to get baked, or turned up baked and whenever my teacher tried to explain something it was always a "Uhh... what?" kinda thing..
    I started off purely electric, but then I picked up my dads nylon acoustic and I just fell in love with that tone. Unfortunately that guitar's over in SA, so I use my step-dads steel acoustic. I use youtube online lessons a lot just to pick up some different and new techniques, but other than that I just loop shit and have crazy jams. I beatbox too, and have myself 2 KP3's.. so that's kind of an instrument.
    I also dabble with the didge, and bought myself a bass guitar but never got around to actually learning it properly.. it's more of a decoration now.

5. splicer

splicer Guest

Almost :)P). I was given tuition in the clarinet from a young age so was familiar with reading music and how to go about learning an instrument anyway. I had tuition in piano for a year, gave up, and a few years later picked it up again and began to improve self-taught. I completely self-taught guitar and ukulele. I was originally a self-taught singer until I signed on with a teacher (really, singing is one of those things where you can't really afford not to have tuition!).

6. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

i can play guitar, bass, mandolin, banjo, dulcimer, harmonica, a drum kit, myriad other drums (djembe, talking drum, cajon, etc.), keyed instruments, and... the kazoo! oh, i taught myself how to play these things. rather, music i'd heard taught me how to play these things.

7. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

Self taught with the drums and piano, although I am not that good.

8. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Kind of. I took violin lessons for 12 years, but I never really learned how to read music. I just taught myself by ear.

9. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

This the stupidiest thing I heard towards music theory....

10. kingofthemoon1313

kingofthemoon1313 Member

I play a wooden song flute everywhere I go. It never leaves my side. :beatnik:

11. The Awesome Hippie

The Awesome Hippie Member

Until this week, I was self taught. Now I have classical guitar lessons and might start jazz too. I play rock but I'm bored with the usual bluesy stuff so I'm adding new influences like Wes Montgomery and even listening to other instruments. Ravi Shankar is inspiring!

12. zenmagma022

zenmagma022 Member

bass, guitar, drums.....have no place to practice anymore

13. Gypsy221

Gypsy221 Member

I'm self taught on guitar, mandolin, tin whistle and harmonica, though I used to have professional lessions for violin and viola, so already had a fairly good background in music.

14. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Member

Self taught on guitar. I know nothing of scales, chords, song structure, etc. Frustrates the living shit out of a friend of mine as it makes it difficult to match up with him proper. He formulates his music strictly based on guitar theory, which I know nothing of. We still manage though, and every once in awhile there is pure magic.

I feel as though he feels as though my technique and playing style is a bit lets articulate than his. I feel as though he may look down on me because of this, but he still agrees to jam none the less. Probably just paranoia.

15. Zebb

Zebb Member

Like many others here, I am self-taught on guitar. Early on I had someone who taught me how to play certain songs and how to read tablature, but I've had no real lessons like I did with piano, drums, and a brief stint with the violin. I have nearly given up on learning other artists' songs because it's become very difficult for me to even play due to my hearing. You see, I have Meniere's disease, which causes deafness, vertigo, ear pain and severe ringing. I have about 5% of my hearing in my right ear and perhaps 80% in my left. It makes it tough, but i still play. I mainly play my own compositions.

16. infantdressingtable

infantdressingtable Member

Yeah self teaching is definitely not at all easy, so we all need to pat ourselves on the back a bit and be proud for what we accomplished, if it is just a note or two remembered. better than when yah started.

I've been toca la guitara for 11 months now and it is an extremely long and tedious process. It requires a lot of time and its really a test of your patience. What it really comes down to is dedication. If you are, there's really nothing that you cant do :)

I mean I'm nowhere even close to being professional, but hope to be one day, and it can't hurt to dream so... :D

17. nz male

nz male Senior Member

I took guitar & yukelele lessons years ago but self taught to play electronic keyboard.
    Also use to like writing my own songs & making up my own music on the keyboard.
    Sold my last guitar several years ago now but now wish I'd kept it.

18. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

I started playing drums as a small child. Learning guitar, bass and a little piano as the years go by. I play guitar and sing in a band that does my own songs. Lots of fun.

19. aleigh24024

aleigh24024 Member

Almost everything I do is self-taught (belly dancing, guitar, crafting). I can't really afford lesson after lesson, so it's just easier to buy some books and teach myself.

1 person likes this.
  20. I'm self-taught. Well, I guess I did look at pictures of chord shapes. I never got that great at guitar, though. I don't really care, however. Everything is just a piss take to me.