Pescatarian world!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by drumminmama, Mar 13, 2012.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to the proudly peacatarian thread.

While I personally see pescatarian as off the vegetarian spectrum, I see the difficulty in avoiding a gazillion mammal and fowl bits in food.

Here you are welcome to talk about whatever needs discussion for fish eaters.

ETA
    I hope that pescatarian is part of a journey to an authentic wholeness. I define this as a plant based diet, personally.

2. cozmo_g

cozmo_g Is Out Of This World

Pescatarian here...just ate some delicious rainbow trout for dinner, matter of fact. How did you arrive at the decision to keep fish in your diet, drumminmama? Did you leave meat for socially responsible reasons, health consciousness reasons or some combination of those or what? Is fish a big part of your diet, or just something occasional?

3. drumminmama

Keep? I'm a 30 year veg, but as moderator here, decided having a place for pescatarians was useful.

I was one of those who stepped down from beef-chicken-fish- and all the vegetarian options to fish plus veg food to lacto veg.

And honestly, fish is the only thing I ever felt like I had to "quit."

As for my reasons, the original move was because I was studying Hinduism and the movement of an individual, personal soul through all levels of life made eating critter a bit weird.

I stayed out of habitation, a decent cuisine and economics.
    Heck, I started learning about confined feeding in 1985, years after I started my journey.

neutronstars111 likes this.
  4. dreamcloud

dreamcloud Member

Very cool thread. I often thought about the difference but never took the time to learn. I have several friends that will only eat fish. I dont think they know there is a name for it. I cant wait to tell them they are peacatarian

5. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Member

-

HI Friends...

(waves)

Most everyone i know who meets me is quick to label me a vegetarian when they find out i am not a meat eater. I usually just let it be as it just keeps things less complicated for them to mull over in their brains, but for those wanting to know i let them know the differences between true veggies and fish-folk.

I went veg back in 1997, dropped meat cold turkey, and never looked back. Never had any drawbacks or cravings of any kind related to meat. I am convinced that part of succeeding in dropping meat from your diet is your thought process, and truly mind over matter. Still meat free and loving it.

Fish on the other hand...

Having been raised in a area of the country that is very much known for its local seafood, fish was always something i enjoyed on the menu from a young age. When i turned to a vegetarian path, i lost interest in continuing to include fish in my diet.
    After a few years passed, i was introduced to the wonders of salmon...and i eventually found that fish was something i wanted to include in my diet again despite having concerns about how it is harvested.
    It became a sort of special treat, and once every couple of months or so i would have a serving along with my usual veggie options. It was not until much later i learned of some of the health benefits now being touted for consuming such fish.

So people often ask me....why do i have no issue eating a fish or other sea creature, but have a big issue with consuming a land animals flesh? Well...i sometimes ask myself this question at times, and i think it comes down to two main areas:
    How the animal is harvested and the actual documented
    health benfits of consuming such animal as part of your regular diet.

I think living by the ocean and having seafood so a part of my diet for so long also contributes, and to be honest, even back when i did eat meat i much preffered seafood over cows, piggies, and birds.

When i eat a fish, i think of the Native Americans and how they supplemented their diets with it. I also use fish in this way. Oh sure..they also hunted and consumed deer and large game animals, but for some reason i am more confortable consuming fish.

What adds to the complexity for some people is that i actually just LOVE fish themselves as living things. I always enjoyed watching fish as a child in water tanks and the Aquarium was one of my favourite places to visit. When i grew older i would fish at a local lake. Older still i started keeping fish at home in a small tank. So i will admit it may seem odd that someone who so enjoys these animals has no guilt in eating their kin.

I am sure their are others who may have similar stories.
    Fish i think is a good thing to have once in a while, but we all know the best diet contains lots more veggies and grains then mere seafood alone!

:)

6. drumminmama

I remember my moment of going full on veg by thinking how a mammal feeds many more people/ meals than seafood.
    It was mathematical for me then.

7. drumminmama

So... If you are pesca, do you see yourself as a form of vegetarian?

I've many comments that show where I draw my line, a creature that breathes (as opposed to a plant or fungus). And I joke in the FAQ that pescas don't get to learn the secret handshake, but for me, every meal with more vegetables and fruit and less critters is a good deal.

What is it for you? Please, you don't have to defend why you eat fish or seafood, just do you think you are in this part of the dietary spectrum.

8. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

pescatarian bisexual and proud of it :)

and those raw oysters...................:)

Simon :sunny:

9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Was a pescatarian, but felt dishonest about it (morally) so I just cut out fish recently. It is a good lifestyle and I honestly felt better after giving up meat (which I was reluctant to do).

10. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I eat fish, I consider myself a vegetarian, specifically pescatarian.
    I feel like pescatarian is a good transitional point for transitioning into vegetarianism.

11. jambo101

jambo101 Member

12. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

Wow - why is there a fish eating thread stuck to the top of the veggie forum. Seriously bumms me out. I mean really - I come to the vegetarian forum to get away from the talk about how great it is to murder and consume flesh - yet here it is. Is there anyway we can banish this thread into the deep bowels of the veg forum - or even better - get it moved to another section all together.

And btw - no matter how much fish eaters may like to think of themselves as vegetarian - they are not. Those slimy things you are eating have complex circulatory, respiratory and reproductive systems - they pump blood thru their bodies - they give live birth to their young. You are not eating a vegetable.

When is the rape thread starting in the Lesbian section? Or the Guns thread in the Non Violence section?

I'm really put off by this. Can we have one little section on this forum that doesn't promote, condone and support murdering and then eating flesh? I would hope it would be the vegetarian section.

13. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Exactly!

I am really confused as well, that someone can say they are 'vegetarian' for 'ethical' reasons and then proudly proclaim to eat fish!

PETA aren't my favourite organisation by any means, but this video really sums it up -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij3W0BetI60"]Joaquin Phoenix Is Drowning - YouTube

14. drumminmama

I'm very happy you both are ethical vegetarians, but not every person who eats a predominately vegetarian diet does so for ethical reasons.
    It's also a stop on the way to full on veg for many people.
    I chose to encourage those who stopped eating mammals and birds to keep going.

It's a single thread so that people can avoid the topic too.
    I've modded this forum since 1997. That's before the crash that rebuilt this forum in 2004.

I am heartily sick of this particular fight, and I saw the fish eaters giving it up, with support in this forum.

Hyperbole is tiring.

15. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

I'm not sure where you see Hyperbole - because I am actually serious. Also - while I commend your efforts to change peoples diets - I go more to the vegetarian forum seeking camaraderie and discourse with like minded folks. If it was called the 'predominantly vegetarian' forum I wouldn't have a problem.

Basically - I don't take part in veg forums to change other peoples diets and lifestyles - I am seeking folks with similar views to me. If they stop being veg - oh well that's up to them. I'm not here to change their minds - or hear about their continued struggle with meat eating.
    My real issue is that every time I go to the veg section I see this thread because it is stuck at the top. Why not let it move thru like the rest - if folks want to talk about it - great - they do a search for pescatarian and then comment - thus moving it to the top, otherwise - it loses it's place in the shuffle just like all the other threads.

Or - change the name of this particular forum to 'predominantly vegetarian' so those of us who are serious about our lifestyle have a little heads up.

It does seem like this particular section of the forum goes fairly unused. Maybe it is not actually meeting the needs or expressing the views of the veggies here. Maybe we could actually focus on vegetarianism and leave the steps to it - or the alternate dietary lifestyles to the rest of the site.

16. wiccan_witch

"As for my reasons, the original move was because I was studying Hinduism and the movement of an individual, personal soul through all levels of life made eating critter a bit weird.

I stayed out of habitation, a decent cuisine and economics.
    Heck, I started learning about confined feeding in 1985, years after I started my journey"

I really am not fighting. But as a vegetarian this is something I find it really difficult to reconcile myself with.
    Fish may not be as cute and cuddly as a furry mammal, but they are intelligent and when they are caught, the process of dying out of the water can be long and painful. In addition deep sea trawling has caused massive damage to ocean eco systems over the years. And don't even get me started on fish farming - just as gross and unatural as hog or chicken farming!

I am no Hindu, but a fish is a level of life, I am sure. Blue Meets Green summed it up really well. Do what you want, eat what you want. But a vegetarian really is someone who doesn't consume animal flesh of any kind. If you pick and choose what kind of meat you eat. I don't really understand how you can call yourself a vegetarian.

If you don't eat beef, chicken, pork or land animal meat for ethical or economical reasons, then think fish is fine - that doesn't make any sense. You might as well just eat free range meat from any animal. That would meet the same ethical standards.

17. drumminmama

If you read the opening post, I clearly say that people who eat fish are NOT vegetarian.
    But I am. For longer than either of you have been alive. So, I have som knowledge here. And I didn't need PETA (a blessing).

However, I see these humans being treated like crap and hassled by both meatosaurases and herbivores.

After many posts over the years, with some honest calls for help (and these former members are veg today) I decided as caretaker of he forum (and, no, I don't have naming powers...sorry) that having a single thread would corral the discussion (which I see as comparable to us explaining our views to the omnivores that ask questions, or the vegans explaining the honey issue--again-- to non vegans).

I truly appreciate your passions, WW and BMG.
    Please use it to liven the forum overall.

18. wiccan_witch

Appreciate your POV too - Peace. :)

19. drumminmama

(Sneaking the gonna be veggies/gonna return to vegetarian folks in through the back door. Shhhhh!)
    ;)

20. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Hey watch it mister, lotta slimy vegetables too! lol :toetap05: