Isn't English the most Beautiful Language ?

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by loveincarnate, Mar 11, 2012.

1. height

height Members

English is a pretty beautiful language yes,but some are more.

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

I agree, but then there are so many different dialect in this country, people from just down the road have trouble understanding each other!

I like the French! That language is romantic! Italian is very sexy!

3. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Glad you enjoy English. It's my native language but I am now also proficient en Espanol.

I had to give you a rep point for quoting one of my favorite Dylan songs, "Stuck inside of Memphis with those Mobile blues again!"

Cheers.

4. sickgirl

sickgirl Members

I have British and German heritage, and think that hearing people from England speak is way more attractive than the way us Americans speak. I used to have a British accent, but lost it when we moved to America. I find the German accent to be very sexy! I once had a German boyfriend who used to talk dirty to me in German while we had sex/did s&m! I speak a little German, and a lot of Espanol....

5. Doeee

Doeee Members

I agree with sickgirl the more you learn german the the more sexy it gets. It´s a bit ruff at firs witch makes it very underestimated. But french is the most beautiful one
    especially in music. Just listen.

6. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

It sure is !!!

7. bowl_of_raspberries

bowl_of_raspberries Member

English's strong suit is also its weakest point. It basically has two registers, the Germanic register (derrived from native Anglo-Saxon and Norse words) and the Latin register (Old Norman French and words from Latin itself).

Maybe because I speak French, these two registers seem glaringly different from one another and don't blend well aesthetically. But on the other hand they give you a lot of freedom while writing and have helped lend English a very precise vocabulary; there's a word for nearly everything.

One group of people that I've noticed tends to very consistently like the sound of English are speakers of the other Germanic languages. They see English as a prettier and more mellifluous version of their own language. But I actually love German for its solidity and richness (there are also words for a lot of emotions that we simply can't describe in English).

8. bowl_of_raspberries

(Just to clarify, I'm a native English speaker.)

9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Do those whose primary language is NOT English hear a discernible difference between UK English and American?

10. bowl_of_raspberries

Some do. To the point of almost seeing them as separate languages. I used to know a Nepali woman who spoke fluent American English, but couldn't understand British English when spoken.

McFuddy and wilsjane like this.
  11. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

There’s beauty in it (English), I think. Especially when sung by someone with a great voice. Arabic is the most visually appealing to me, though. Like written Arabic looks beautiful as well as Japanese.

12. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Wordsworth demonstrates English at its best.

Earth has not anything to show more fair:
    Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
    A sight so touching in its majesty:
    This City now doth, like a garment, wear
    The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
    Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
    Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
    All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
    Never did sun more beautifully steep
    In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;
    Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
    The river glideth at his own sweet will:
    Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
    And all that mighty heart is lying still!

13. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I come from a non-English-speaking part of the world, but lived in the west coast of North America for many years. This essentially resulted in my default spoken English accent to take on the west coast North American nuances. however, during my residency in the North America region, I got to regularly interact with people from all over the world: English, Scottish, French, German, Chinese, Polish, Japanese, various middle eastern accents, you name it. Over the years I've developed an ear for differentiating various accents. I don't advertise myself as being an expert on accents by any means whatsoever, but I tend to have fun speaking in English accents, Scottish(Glaswegian) accent, Finnish accent, Australian accent, Japanese accent, Indian accent, French accent, Russian accent, stuff like that.

I think English is just one of many beautiful languages. I find the Scandinavian languages have a beautiful tonality to them as well.

14. Varader

Varader Members

Too many phrasal verbs, for my liking

ZenKarma likes this.
  15. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Hi Varader! Nice to see you here :) I also have an opinion, I'd rather listen to English than to listen to Dutch.

16. I'm not fluent in any other languages. I would say French sounds more beautiful to me, but English is a good one. I don't know if it's beautiful, but it's a heck of a lot of fun. Words have double meanings, there's innuendo, suggestion, misunderstanding...it's fun.

17. Varader

Varader Members

Sure... And I don't know if you ever heard Danish and compared it with its spelling... Worse both than English and Dutch

ZenKarma likes this.
  18. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

It's according to the British dialect. There are regional dialects just as there are in US. I've watched some British programs and had to put on subtitles. A notable film was "Trainspotting." Also have trouble with the Yorkshire accent and cockney from London area. I don't know what all the accents are... if the program IDs them, I can say, Oh, can't make heads nor tails of it. But a heavy Brooklyn accent is difficult for me. Some Boston and Maine accents are also hard to grasp as are some Southern accents with "twang" in them. I think Caribbean islanders have very musical versions of English. English is such a cobbled together language, with so many influences from everywhere, don't know how beautiful it is. It is a vibrant language as it keeps incorporating words and expressions from world languages. That's its best feature. Grammatically, I think it's the hardest language in the world besides Mandarin.

ZenKarma likes this.
  19. Actually English gets picked on quite a bit for the incongruencies. It's a fun language. That's ALL I was saying. *becoming irritated*

20. I do appreciate language A LOT. I have yet to master a foreign language, though I took a bit of German.