Isn't English the most Beautiful Language ?

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by loveincarnate, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

English grammar rules, it is so systematic and consistent overall. Perhaps native speakers that do not know another language think otherwise but it seems really one of the easiest language to learn because of it's consistent grammar. That how you pronounce it sometimes doesn't make sense with how you write it is certainly not typical for english only! Every language I'm familair with has that.

2. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I think Italian and French are more beautiful languages than English.

3. Peace&Unity

Peace&Unity Member

yes it is,but i heard that italian language won the competition.

4. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

English is beautiful. It can be spoken softly and quickly, which gives it a certain sense of musicality. Although there are also other softer languages (French,...).

English grammar is pretty easy in comparison to other European languages, possibly even the easiest. The rules are straightforward. Exceptions exist, which is normal and part of any grammar that I know of.

Word formation and word games are interesting and poetic. Just like in many other languages. People are creative beings which is reflected in their language, whichever it may be.

The biggest advantages of the English language are its vast vocabulary and rich literature. I do agree that in that respect (and that respect only) English is 'superior' to many other languages. That is not very surprising considering it's history. We might say that English had good conditions for growth and evolution.

5. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I enjoy English the most when I see immigrants from different places speaking to each other cause its the only language they have in common.They wrestle with it, get a lot of it wrong, but in the end, come away pleased with themselves for communicating in this new language.See lots of mention of difficult rules for English in the thread. In the end it is a forgiving tongue. New York English is very flexible; different immigrants donate terms or sounds. In commerce you hear all sorts of mash-ups nobody gets offended though commerce is bringing different peoples together. English is a greedy language, greedy to adopt new phrases and dialect. did somebody say rip-off? adoption seems more like it. Its the worlds newest language and the most successful pidgen Its a giggle when you hear about a continental institutions that want to keep the home language pure try to ban words like television, and now: hash-tag. Its fascinating when new words go mainstream; words like baby-mama, three-peat, fashionista. Can anyone provide other examples? I wonder why more Spanish terms are not adopted being so many Spanish speakers in The States.

6. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Did anyone see : The Bob Marley Movie; what a hoot to see peoples speaking English with English sub-titles.

7. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

its the dog bollocks mate

8. Skop's

Skop's Very old member, but young

The british say this cause they don't know the others languages.

9. BTS

BTS Member

no, armenian!

10. laughing-buddha

laughing-buddha Relax and have fun

Who Says english is easy?

Try to fill in the blanks with "YES" or "No"

1 "____", I don't have a brain.
    2 "____", I don't have sense.
    3 "____", I am stupid.

11. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

English has too many homonyms, which makes for great punnery but difficult to a newb. The rules have more exceptions to the rule than rule has words that follow it. The pilfered words from other languages don't follow the english rules and so you kinda gotta know how the root languages work to figure out those words....It's a mess. But some of it's poetry sounds nice. More about tone than language.

I'm really fond of Japanese. It's a tricky one because you kinda gotta learn 3 writing styles but there's a rhythm there that I love. Some day I'm gonna join in that Japanese Haiku thread that's kicking around here.

12. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

English is beautiful, but so is German and many others.

Talking about difficult... no! Compared it to Cantonese, Arabic, Hebrew, Russian, Magdar... and so many others. If you compare, you'll realize its much less difficult. It isn't a phonetic language, but for the rest, it's not that hard. Even I can speak it a little, after all. And written, it's very easy compared to French and all its accents... and to languages without vowels, like Arabic and Hebrew (there are vowels, but they write without them). And if you compare it with Cantonese, Thailandhese! No, English isn't particularly difficult.

About music, yes, I think English is great, but also Portuguese. I'm biased, of course. :)

13. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

Are you Portuguese or Brazilian? Portuguese is my favourite language

14. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

I'm Brazilian. Perhaps because it's my mother tongue, I'm not very enthusiastic about it. I do think it's great for music, though.

15. nz male

nz male Senior Member

I have a co worker who is from Germany & she has a beautiful sounding accent.
    Its nice to hear a person speaking with an accent occasionally.

16. existence_denied

existence_denied Guest

It's a good language. Some people claim it's the hardest language to learn because of its "diversity" but I think that's bullshit. It's my second language and I never had difficulties with it.

17. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Only Americans say that, because it's usually the only language they know, and they like to feel special.

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

French is like music. Spanish can be that way sometimes too.

Anything spoken in German sounds angry.

1 person likes this.
  19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Ich liebe dich! Donnerwetter nochmal. Not entirely true, it seems just that most german that is spoken in movies and on tv is spoken in an angry way :p It's really not that angry sounding if you talk to them irl (unless you piss them off perhaps :p). If you can receive german tv channels you can already notice the difference.

20. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

No, we only have access to the song 99 Red Balloons on YouTube. :D Our cable TV is English and Spanish only.

In America, the big problem with learning any language other than Spanish is that we never get to use it or even hear it as adults, without paying big money to travel a long distance. So, without practice, we slowly forget everything we learned. Most Americans are required to take two years of foreign language in high school, and most universities require an additional two years study.

I used to speak French rather well. Unfortunately, the only mainstream places in the northern half of the western hemisphere where you can easily encounter native French speakers is Quebec (Canada) and the French half of the island of Saint Martin. There is some French spoken on a few other Caribbean islands, but those are not popular travel destinations. Unfortunately, the language has almost completely died out from the French Quarter of New Orleans. Only a few Creole bands there still perform traditional local folk songs in French.

As for German in this part of the world, forget about it. It doesn't exist.