How do i grow large crystals?

Discussion in 'Drug Chemistry' started by ghost of rat, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ghost of rat

ghost of rat Senior Member

I have a variety of chemicals in an already purified form, 99% purity, but I find bags of white powder boring.
    I know the larger surface area of powder is better for absorbtion in the stomach etc but I do not consume drugs anymore, I simply collect them.

Im wanting to recrystallize some of my compounds to grow large crystals because large ultra pure crystals are badass and they look awesome.

How exactly would i go about doing this?
    I recently tried redissolving some mescaline in water and let it evaporate really slowly but the biggest crystal i got was no larger than a grain of rice.

I realize now that i should have added a seed crystal to start the process.
    Some people submerge string the saturated solution to grow crystals but i dont really understand how that works.
    Any tips??

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

recrystalize it by making a saturated solution then evaporating the solvent until crystals precipitate out and then a "bad" solvent may be added that does't dissolve the chemical very well and crystals will come out of solution. Methamphetamine may be dissoved in methanol until saturated and acetone added to precipitate the crystals. Placeing the solution in a very cold freezer also help to grow crystals.

3. redox76

redox76 Guest

what you wanna do is use an alcohol heat it up until it boils then add as much substance as you wanna recrystallise as the alcohol will hold stir it up and filter it into a thermos and let evaporate at room temp this will give amazing crystals with well defined lattices i recrystallised pseudoephedrine out of isopropanol alcohol in a one liter beaker and got spikes all over the bottom of the beaker very cool................peace

4. 1phen2prop

1phen2prop Guest

Mescaline is tricky, the Hydrochloride salt has a shape and orientation that doesn't lend itself to repeating patterns such as are needed to build a crystal lattice structure. This conformation runs into steric problems dictated by forces at the molecular level, limiting the size and shape. Needle shaped crystals a little longer than a grain of rice are about the best you can hope for.

No amount of multi-solvent recrystallization or seeding can overcome these crystallization dynamics The particle characteristics are anticipated via the population balance equation,a boring lot of math that confirms Mescaline HCl will not grow big ass shards like meth.

Regarding recrystallization of Mescaline HCl

Don't leave Mescaline HCl in water for more than a day or expose it to light or it will degrade quickly.

The recrystallization of Mescaline HCl is more for the removal of impurities not to make big shards.

Dual solvent recrystallization can be done in methanol and acetone or if you can get it MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) saturation in water give great results.

If you can get MEK let me know and I'll post the Tek"s

5. Rickybill

Rickybill Members

Step by step instructions for turning powder ( shake and bake) into shards PLEASE

1 person likes this.
  6. Pureform9o

Pureform9o Members

Have Mark easy way to convert methamphetamine to a crystal any ideas