Animal Rights activist groups?

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by kaitlinmichelle, Feb 15, 2012.

1. kaitlinmichelle

kaitlinmichelle Member

Hey everybody,
    I was just wondering if you are familiar with any animal rights groups that are very focused on activism, but are not PETA? I know PETA comes from a place of sincere, deep passion for speaking out for animals which I really respect and admire. But in my opinion they are much too disrespectful for me, so if any of you know any groups that are as activism-focused and passionate as PETA, but more respectful, please let me know.
    :)

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

You mean like National Wildlife Federation, ASPCA, Groups like that or one that is involved with exactly the same issues as PETA.

3. kaitlinmichelle

kaitlinmichelle Member

Thanks for responding. :)
    I am familiar with NWF but not ASPCA, so I looked that up-- thanks for sharing.
    I like the causes of the ones you mentioned and PETA-- I'm just really looking for an organization that has events going on (protests, marches, meetings, etc) that help me and other volunteers get involved in a variety of other ways besides donating money.
    I'm trying to get a hands-on experience with speaking up for animals.

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

PETA is more than just disrespectful. They are hypocritical; euthanizing in their shelters, and killing the vast majority of the animals they "save", and completely unethical; supporting domestic terrorists that firebomb medical facilities.

I am interested in this topic too. I am an anti-PETA advocate and I've decided to take a more friendly approach, offering good-spirited alternatives, but the World Wildlife Foundation is the only animal advocacy group I'm familiar with.

5. terrestrial

terrestrial Guest

Is this thread worth resurrecting? Depending on your preferred advocacy, I have a few suggestions.

6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

In My Opinion It Is, Feel Free To Post To Continue Posting...:)

Cheers Glen.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Bricks for bears!

8. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

9. terrestrial

terrestrial Guest

The original post was asking for ways to speak out for animals without just donating money. The best thing to donate is your time! I prefer to stay away from the "big name" players because they do not align with my personal politics/ethics. For example:

-PeTA's president, Ingrid Newkirk, is openly breedist. The organization is a company that pays salaries and dividends, so whatever money they make, a fraction actually goes toward helping animals. I know several personal friends who I love and are amazing activists that do work with PeTA, so I know not to judge anyone in a PeTA shirt under the same umbrella as the higher-ups, but if I go to a demo and they are there, I don't hold their signs.

-HSUS and ASPCA are emotionally manipulative in their advertising and also have the big company issues of salaries that are paid before helping animals. They also support "kinder" animal laws like egg bills and gestation crate bills, but I am an abolitionist and don't want to support that. HSUS also allowed Michael Vick to have a companion dog after his time was "served" speaking out against dog-fighting. That was court-ordered, and not a good deed on Vick's part and any organization that allows him to keep being a creep does not get my vote.

If you are partial to the plight of farmed animals, please look into Farm Sanctuary, Gentle Barn, FARM and places like Animal Acres. They are sanctuaries where you can go and help with chores, exercise and get close to the animals and it's so damn rewarding.

If you are more into speaking out against vivisection and animal testing, please check out SAEN, Progress for Primates, The Bunny Alliance and local grassroots groups that will leaflet or have demos at your local universities.

If you prefer to do group demos against the circus or rodeo, look at PeTA's scheduled protests and consider going to meet and network with other activists that may not be associated with them. This is how I found out about groups that I am blanking on right now.

Most major cities have a "Fur Free Friday" event on Black Friday if you're in the US, and these are great places to meet fellow local activists. Also, if you have a local disgrace (seal-hunting, shark-finning, etc.,) there are usually groups that you can find on FB that will have demos.

I'm tired and that's all I can think of at the moment. Just Google the orgs I mentioned if you're unfamiliar. I hope this helps.

10. terrestrial

terrestrial Guest

I second this group! I can't believe I forgot them.

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I love all of these organizations....There is Greenpeace, and Earthtrust....as well. I was part of that and travelled with them to Hawaii to try help save the whales one year. The humpback is such a magnificent animal.....and I wish the remaining few of countires would stop killing them and other whales....:(

In the presence of one of these whales, is out of this world. They are so peaceful and the humpback's song is unmatched....but so many species are being murdered...elephants for their ivory, etc, and that is sinful IMO.

12. CoZMiC WiZDoM RaW VeGaN

CoZMiC WiZDoM RaW VeGaN Member

♥ ♣ :sunny: Terrestrial ~ I AGREE With *Everything You Said! ♥ I Am A Dedicated NO Animal Exploition & Abolitionist Activist & A Devoted Cruelty~Free Raw Organic Vegan Fruitarian In All Of My Daily Choices & Lifestyle! :daisy: ♥ *Mercy For Animals* {They Have A YouTube Channel & Facebook Page} Is Another Fantastic Activist Group & Manages To Film Undercover The Inside Of Horrific Bloody Evil Slaughterhouses & Dairy Farms Abuses ETC... Which Are Both The Bloody Diabolical Horrific Meat Industry! ♣ A Very Brave & *Important* Abolitionist Animal Rights Truly ACTIVIST Organization Is *ALF* ~ The Animal Liberation Front! ♥ See My Hip Forums Profile For The Link To My Facebook Page In My *Contact Information!* I Also Have My Own Facebook Groups Such As My Cruelty~Free *Ambrosial Raw Organic Vegan Fruitarian Animal Lovers* Facebook Group! The Name That I Use On Facebook, I Use Everywhere Online! {Except Not Here, For TRiPpY Privacy} ♣ Send Me A Facebook Friend Invite & Let Me Know Who You Are! ♥ I Have Made You A Hip Forums *Contact* Here & When You Post Between 20~25 Posts Here You Will Become An Official *Member* & Then I Can Send You A Hip Forums Friend Invite Too! When You Become A Full *Member* You Can Post Messages On People's Profiles & Join The Social Groups & Have Access To Many More Features Here! ♣♣♣ At The TOP Of Your Hip Forums Profile There Is A Purple Bar With Your *User CP* {User Control Panel} ... Click On It & Scroll To The Bottom Of That Page & You Will See That I Gave You A *Positive Green Dot Rep* On This Wonderful Post You Made! Rep Means "Reputation" & Positive *Reps* Effect Your Ratings Here Positively & Are very Much Cherished Here! {Red Dot Reps Are Negative & Effect One's Ratings Negatively!} If You L@@K On The Left Side Of People's Posts Where Your Rating Status Shows Up ~ You Will See *Silver Scales* & You Click On That To Give People *Reps* On Their Posts *Green Is I APPROVE* & *Red Is I DISAPPROVE* ... Kind~Hearted People Usually Avoid Giving Negative Red Reps To Anyone Because They Do Not Want To Receive Them Themselves & Everyone's *User CP* Page Says Who Sent Any *Rep* ... Positive & Negative! ♣ Also, In Your *User CP* Under "Settings & Options" You Will See An *Edit Avatar* Section & From There Your Can Choose One Avatar From Countless Cool Avatars To Represent You On Your Profile & Your Posts Here! You Can Change Your Avatar At Any Time! ♣♣♣ *WELCOME* To The Hip Forums!!! ♥ :grouphug: ♥ :sunny: ♣ ♥

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Bricks for bears!

14. terrestrial

terrestrial Guest

I feel like I should know you. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we do know each other or have mutual friends. MFA is also great and I support Direct Action. It gets shit done.

There was mention of Greenpeace, and there is always Sea Shepherd, but they don't demo as much as canvass in my area.

15. Moonglow181

kaitlinmichele...here is a quote from your post...."I know PETA comes from a place of sincere, deep passion for speaking out for animals which I really respect and admire. But in my opinion they are much too disrespectful for me"

I was wondering how they are disrepsectful to you. I agree some can be very abrasive and blunt, and some of the people I associated with from earth Trust felt very abrasive to me at times, but look what that are fighting, and they are sometimes angry for good reason, and sometimes do not have time or feeling to be sunshiney....but it all for a good. At least, some organizations are trying to do something, is how I look at it.....:)

Don't give up on them.....

16. terrestrial

terrestrial Guest

Compassion Over Killing is another good group!

17. Moonglow181

So being I did not want to be in smaller boats trying to block bigger harpooning boats....I paint....and try to depict many different animals in a beautiful light and try to help this way to show their souls....
    This seems to have been my main thing all my life, to try to help creatures....some how, some way....It is alot to fight for....

18. CoZMiC WiZDoM RaW VeGaN

♥ ♣ :sunny: Terrestrial My *Kindred!* :daisy: Deep Within Me I Feel Like I Know You Too! If You Are On Facebook I Am Certain That We Have Organic Vegan & Animal Rights Mutual Friends! It Would Be Wonderful To Meet & Gather Together With Other Activists! ♥ ALL Beloved Divine Water~Dwellers & The Oceans & Seas Need Immediate Protection & I Am Infinitely Grateful That Sea Shepherd & Greenpeace & Others Are Determined & Risking Their Own Lives To *Get Everything Done!* ♥ But, The Diabolical Selfish Polluting Corporations & The Demonic Slaughterers Of Wise Precious Divine Loving Dolphins & Whales ETC & Greedy Oil Drillers ETC Will *Kill* Activists To Keep Up Their Bloody Evil Doings! ♣ *Thankfully* We Have A Lot Of Devoted Animal Liberation Rights & Precious Mother Earth ACTIVISTS World~Wide & More & More People Are *WAKING UP* & Making Clean & Organic Cruelty~Free Choices In Everything They Do & They Are *Speaking Out!* & Helping To *Awaken* The Masses! ♥ :grouphug: ♥ :sunny: ♣ ♥

19. CoZMiC WiZDoM RaW VeGaN

♥ ♣ :sunny: Moonglow! ♥ You Are A Radiant & Wise & Loving Sweet Spirit Kindred! :daisy: ♥ We Kindred *Know* & *Experience* Deep Within Us ~ ALL Precious Beloved Wise Animals & Creatures & Mother Earth As Loving Pure Spiritual & Divine & Filled With Wizdom Joy Love & Blessings :angel: As Our Teachers & Best Friends! ♥ *THANK YOU* For Helping To Save These Divine Precious Beings From Cruel Wicked People! ♥ :grouphug: ♣ ♥

20. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member