Best YES album?

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by Raga_Mala, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

At different times, it's "Close to the Edge" or "Tales from Topographic Oceans" for me.

I would like to listen to Tales all the way through while tripping sometime; haven't had that chance yet.

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

"The Yes Album" is probably my favorite but I would like to try "Close to the Edge" to accompany me on a trip, so I'm gonna bump it here hopefully for a later date ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS0rGykUBFM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS0rGykUBFM

3. Raga_Mala

The first time I dropped cid Close to the Edge (title track) was VERY meaningful.

I still remember the acid-decoded meanings of some of the lyrics!
    (Most of them are about me and/or my girlfriend at the time...who knew!)

4. SinisterBotanist

SinisterBotanist Member

Close to the Edge is a perfect album.. by far the greatest achievement in progressive rock. mrrrrrrph it's so good... it means so much to me <3

I tried listening to the title track shrooming. I was outside at night and the sound of bugs mixed with the "nature" sounds in the intro, making it really dissonant. And I could not tell the difference between the music, my visions, and my thoughts. Honestly it wasn't any more spectacular than usual. I've never had exceptional music listening experiences while tripping, beside it feeling more present and internal. Music is something extremely important to me so maybe I'm closer to deeper listening than most people.

5. Raga_Mala

I make my living as a musician. I certainly know music and it is certainly important to me, and I certainly listen deeply. :afro: Nevertheless, I found CttE much more meaningful while tripping. Specifically, I will say that for the first time SIGNIFICANT portions of the lyrics made literal sense to me.

6. opel diamond

opel diamond burn out

close to the edgeeeee!

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I listened to SIberian Khatru yesterday during rolling and it was pretty awesome, a lil bit fluffy or something and not something I'd prefer for rolling but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

8. Raga_Mala

Yeah Siberian is my least favorite track on that album. "Close to the Edge" is of course genius and I have always loved "And You And I."

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think something like Roundabout would've been more appropriate rolling, it's a lil more of a funky groove.

10. Raga_Mala

Yeah I really don't know about rolling. The more spacey, busy/frantic, and poetic stuff is what has always stimulated me for 'cid and 2c-e.

I think this Saturday I'm going to do 15 or 18mg of 2c-e and accompany it with "Tales from Topographic Oceans."

11. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

Either Close to the Edge or The Yes Album.

12. The Awesome Hippie

The Awesome Hippie Member

The Yes Album

13. kmq31565

kmq31565 Member

for me,it was fragile

14. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

My favorite is Fragile, but Close To The Edge is definitely close. The first time I listened to Yes was when I heard Fragile on my dad's vinyl player and it blew my mind.

15. Zebb

Zebb Member

Fragile is by far my favorite Yes album. CLose to the Edge is sitting right behind it. I remember as a teenager, when hanging out with my best friend from back then, we used to take turns choosing songs to listen to. Sometimes instead of choosing sevreral songs over the coursse of the evening, I would opt for choosing CLose to the Edge as a single choice because of its length. This would always cause a fight because he hated that song. I never got to play it while he was around. I never could understand why he disliked it. The song is incredible.

16. Cosmic wonderland

Cosmic wonderland Member

I've been listening to Yes since '69. I have a fair number of their albums, spanning a number of Yes eras. It's a really tough call, as I love the majority of their work. First concert I ever attended was Yes in '72 - Close to the Edge tour. If I had to pick just one, I guess Close to the Edge would be my favorite. BTW - I recently picked up Fragile in SACD 5.1 surround, and I really like it.

17. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

I've listened to Tales in it's entirety while on acid and mushrooms, the same with Relayer. The same with all of them, really lol. While I no longer have any interest in progressive rock, I still have a small Yes tattoo on my arm, and I will always remember how they opened me up to music, they were my first spiritual experience in sound, just over 12 years ago. I can't listen to their earlier albums anymore, but every once in awhile I'll put Relayer on my record player. Most of their magic has passed for me but sometimes it reoccurs. Steve Howe was one of the most amazing guitar players of all time, without a doubt.

18. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'd go for "Close To The Edge".

19. JackTheChan

JackTheChan Member

I really love Close to the Edge and The Yes Album, but I've listened to Tales of the Topographic Ocean recently and I don't understand why is this album generally so underrated.

20. BlueStreak98

BlueStreak98 Member

Fragile, definitely.