DubStep?

Discussion in 'Electronic and Experimental Music' started by IndigoDreamer, Jan 17, 2012.

1. IndigoDreamer

IndigoDreamer Member

Really? Because you have yet to tell me any useful information about it. And I thought we already went over this- I did not say dubstep was created with a wah pedal. I don't know why you have to constantly contradict me. Like seriously, fuck you dude. Go tell somebody who cares.
    I'm not posting on here to be ridiculed by self-entitled assholes.

2. GoofyGooberz

GoofyGooberz Just Bitchy!!!!!!!!

I like some dubstep depends on my mood really. But DeadMau5 awesome!

3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

American dubstep is much more hostile then it's UK roots. It's become the metal of electronic music. Artists like Skrilix for example are not really what one would call traditional dubstep, yet he seems to be everyone's favorite example lately. Like any other genre there is good and bad examples.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I read it as the Brits took something and recreated it, likely a reference to the British Invasion bands and their common derivative from American blues.

MOD HAT ON: this thread has been reported for name calling.
    The person reporting is just as guilty, so I will leave with this:
    No name calling, that is in the guidelines.
    And be respectful of differing opinions, because that is how good discussions are born and maintained.
    Have a thick skin, or wait before posting an angry response, because this is the net. It is like a zoo. At some point somebody will fling poo.

5. ClassicRockGirl

ClassicRockGirl Member

Actually I see what she's saying. There's no need to try to make her feel stupid. Music is all just opinion anyway. Dubstep does have the "wah-ble" effect and you don't have to take it like it's an insult to Classic Rock because it isn't. Just because you personally don't understand dubstep doesn't mean you should degrade someone who listens to it. In the end, you're the one who is looking stupid. It's simply noticing a similar occurence. -_-

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Wobble bass
    One characteristic of certain strands of dubstep is the wobble bass, where an extended bass note is manipulated rhythmically. This style of bass is typically produced by using a low frequency oscillator to manipulate certain parameters of a synthesizer such as volume, distortion or filter cutoff. The resulting sound is a timbre that is punctuated by rhythmic variations in volume, filter cutoff, or distortion. This style of bass is a driving factor in some variations of dubstep, particularly at the more club-friendly end of the spectrum.[14]

Nothin remotely similar to a wah pedal.

A wah-wah pedal (or just wah pedal) is a type of guitar effects pedal that alters the tone of the signal to create a distinctive effect, mimicking the human voice. The pedal sweeps the peak response of a filter up and down in frequency to create the sound (spectral glide), also known as "the wah effect."

7. ClassicRockGirl

ClassicRockGirl Member

Yeah, did you just look up that wobble part? -_-

And it is similar in my opinion, just because one is made with technoligy and one is made with an instrument, and the sounds are created differently doesn't mean that they CANNOT possibly sound similar.

8. Brudof

Brudof Member

I really hate dubstep. I've been to a few raves where they were doing an awesome dnb or hardstyle set then randomly this other dj comes on and starts playing dubstep and we're all standing there like wtf is this/how do we dance to this? Now I just use those sets for water and smoke breaks :)

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Dubstep doesn't use a wah pedal is what I was trying to teach the op and what she claimed in the op.

10. ClassicRockGirl

ClassicRockGirl Member

First of all, thanks for disliking my post. :3 It's really mature. :p

11. ClassicRockGirl

ClassicRockGirl Member

That isn't what she is trying to say!!
    She isn't trying to say that dubstep uses a wah peddle. x)
    No fucking duh dubsteppers don't use wah peddles!!
    They use squishy noises, bass, and computers.
    She is saying that dubstep sounds like the wah in the wah peddle, and it could possibly be influenced from a SIMILAR sound to it. Jesus. -_-

12. ClassicRockGirl

ClassicRockGirl Member

^ She does not say in any part of that, that dub uses a wah peddle. -_-

13. Brudof

Brudof Member

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Guerillabedlam it seems. I don't know why though since it wasn't what the op said :D

15. Yert

Yert Member

Someone link some good Dubstep. I've heard it while watching Idra stream SC2, and that's pretty much it.

16. BTS

BTS Member

17. Yert

Yert Member

Whaaaaaaaaat I didn't know they were a group

18. ClassicRockGirl

ClassicRockGirl Member

Go to the Electronic section and it's the first one. Filthy Dubstep. <3

19. ClassicRockGirl

ClassicRockGirl Member

Yert, dubstep is a genre.

20. Yert